Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ugly back yard fun...........

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ugly back yard fun...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hahahha MIke you need to lay low on the coffee when using them glasses.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

MJD's got some GOOGLE EYES..!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gOOgle nostrils.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	2102311  
Old 06-28-2015, 03:35 PM
jayd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

model looks like lots of fun,Not turning a 5 x 3 is pretty feeble. Unfortunately you bring up the shoulder issue which I fear has likely put an end to my CL days. I have a few tornado 6 x 3 that seem to work pretty well with Cox .049s with their more rounded geometry., the cox props have a lot of cross section area.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Even with the bad shoulders, I'll bet most doctors would see this being good in general. It's not the line tension of a .049 to .15, but forcing the arm to go through the range of motion. Some flyers have a "shoot from the hip" style, but with these little models I use my whole arm to pull back quickly if the line tension starts to feel too light.
The .074 was running too good [to use for C/L], so I'm outfitting the plane for a OS.15 and 52 foot lines. It'll still use a 7 x 3 prop, but what I'm hoping to see from this version is slow and steady flight to practice the stunt pattern with.
The old motor mount was hacked off and a plywood mount glued to the outboard side of the center rib. The trailing edge was banged up, so I fiberglassed .020" MIG wire along the TE.
The plastic 1/2A bellcrank has been replaced with an aluminum FOX unit and the pushrod to the elevator is 1/16" copper coated steel welding rod.
I also outfitted the Hayes 2 oz tank with a hard plastic tube that goes to the outboard wall of the tank instead of using the clunk. The clunk can cause trouble after a hard landing and this tank is buried in the wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cl plane.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	2106248