"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox TD .020 Showdown Video

Old 06-20-2015, 11:38 PM
Tony A.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Troy- It's looks like we both pulled the trigger on the Park Scale TwoMosa Micro Pattern Ship, though I haven't started mine....very cool! Did you get the Pitts and the Drake too?

Envy??? After watching several of your super cool Motorcycle adventure videos today....I think it's the other way around my friend! Especially, Bonneville and Ouray, CO.....AWESOME!
Old 06-21-2015, 01:17 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958980

I like this one the Daddy-O

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddy-O0001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2104800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09890c.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2104801  
Old 06-21-2015, 03:32 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony- too bad on the T-38. You are right though, not a bad 2nd choice.

Troy- great looking model. Is that your own design?

Brian
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I've been busted by Tony. It is indeed a Park Scale Models TwoMosa kit. Designed for a 10g electric outrunner. I bought it back in '09 with intentions of installing a TD .010. The box has spent the last 6 years under the bed until this week. The whole ".020 Showdown" got my building juices flowing again. It's gonna take a little creativity to fit all the working bits inside as well as making it strong and fuel-proof. I'll be adding spar webs, etc. Tony, maybe we can trade off ideas to get them sorted? It still might be a candidate for a TD .010 since I have another .020-sized project that needs to see daylight again(a Skaliwag proof-of-concept) that he's been patiently waiting for me to figure out for several years. I'm itching to build a new .09 ship as well for the next SMALL.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2104804  
Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 AM
av8rsodt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Troy- Fun project. It is good when a project makes you think vs a simple step by step project.

My boys are excited about the .020 Stiks for this summer. I told them they can buy the engines since they are typically less than $100. Will be a good project for them.

What are you thinking for the 09?

Brian
Old 06-21-2015, 04:29 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Keep us posted on your boys' sticks. Looks like we'll have enough .020s for a gaggle next year. Should be a hoot. Not sure what to build for a TD .09 yet but I'm leaning toward my old Sureshark XV kit, keeping it light with no throttle or landing gear. Should go ok, I would think. Still open to suggestions on that one. I didn't see any loud, snarling .09s at SMALL this year. That needs to change.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:39 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are not stuck in a nostalgia Cox rut, the AP .09 is a good candidate for snarly cheap fun. A bit hard to source sometimes for $31 but the .15 is similar and snarls more. The blue head .15 is more grin for the buck though.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm pretty stuck in a rut, I guess. Ya see, I've got all these Cox engines of various sizes and styles, many of which have never seen a firewall after many years of good intentions. I used to enjoy flying my Medallion .09s but my TDs are still NIB in need of an airframe. Years ago, I began collecting quite a few Cox's and managed to build and fly quite a few planes with them but the rate at which I collected engines, plans, and kits far exceeded my ability to finish projects. As my circle of modeling friends expands, I'm learning that most of us are like that. When you get too old to build or fly, or die suddenly, your family is stuck with piles of kits, plans, and old never-run engines and such to get rid of.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I would guess I have around 20 Coxes of various sizes. They don't have very good throttles in my experience, and the AP is the same price as a throttle. Mine puts out about the same or 500 rpm more than the TD .09. I can't use the Cox stuff without a muffler at my field either. Oh, and if I can't take it with me, I'm not going. One engine collector around here had to get the granddaughter to try and sell off all the motors when he died. She wasn't very negotiable, and it took over a year of swap meets. I guess he got her somewhat interested in the hobby in the end. Better than letting everything go for peanuts like a lot of people are doing now. I guess we are a dying breed. Many of my friends died at 50. Too much drinking, eating, fast driving.....
Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an itch for a TD .15 / throttle sleeve project something for windy days.

V Tail narrow ply box fuselage:

Name:	Slim V TD 15vxxx.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	2104872  
Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the TwoMosa was made for a 20w brushless motor so put out way more torque than a TD .010 making the .020 the way to go.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Tony A.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Tee Bee View Post
Well, I've been busted by Tony. It is indeed a Park Scale Models TwoMosa kit. Designed for a 10g electric outrunner. I bought it back in '09 with intentions of installing a TD .010. The box has spent the last 6 years under the bed until this week. The whole ".020 Showdown" got my building juices flowing again. It's gonna take a little creativity to fit all the working bits inside as well as making it strong and fuel-proof. I'll be adding spar webs, etc. Tony, maybe we can trade off ideas to get them sorted? It still might be a candidate for a TD .010 since I have another .020-sized project that needs to see daylight again(a Skaliwag proof-of-concept) that he's been patiently waiting for me to figure out for several years. I'm itching to build a new .09 ship as well for the next SMALL.
Sorry Troy, I didn't know! Your TwoMosa is looking great! Not sure I'll build mine for SMALL 2016 but glad you're building one. For me, nothing worse than several of the same planes at an event. Thankfully, our Stiks were all different. I love the unique variety of SMALL.

I'll be focusing on vintage and unique stuff for SMALL with a wide variety of engines. Hopefully, our formation fun fly gathering doesn't turn into a race....definitely not our intention and/or the Spirit of SMALL. We have something very special at SMALL and I plan to keep my involvement strictly to fun flying and friendship. A recent PM was an eye opener.

I'm really looking forward to your Skaliwag proof-of-concept project. Have fun!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 4 little ones showed up for duty, servo says 3.7g right on the side.
Not even more like 5.125g each.

Name:	IMAG0966.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	2105207  
Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess they subtract the weight of the wires?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yessa from day 1 when the micros came out and everyone was buying up GWS gear servo weight was boldly plastered on the side without the weight of the wires included.
The Lil Speedy used HiTec Ultra Nano HS-35D 1 servo cost more than all 4 of these little guys. I think these cheapos will hold up to TD .010 and .020's vibrations we shall see.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm curious to see how they work for you over time. I've had good luck with the Dymond 4.7g servos in my .049 stuff and am now considering their 3.7g units for .020-power but they are pricier at $12.50 each.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes me too I think these will hold up.
I should drill out the mounting hole enough to pass thru some .010 size fuel line for isolation mounting the servos.

These lil blue one have been re branded many times by others with various stickers. The voltage range up to 7.2v
makes them perfect for 4cell voltages at 6v they are putting out about 12.5oz of torque plenty for .020 engines.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 06-24-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:46 PM
LittleRock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This talk of all the glow projects does my heart good. When Emmett Fry and I started the Little Rock SMALL event it was very family oriented. It was good to see Tony and Evelyn show up and fit right in. Brian Sodt always brings his boys. It would be great if more young ones would become involved. We could reintroduce the SMALL Olympics. For those of you that haven't attended, you should ! You are missing out !!!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:56 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just walked in from the back forty, where I put what might be flight 40 on a $15 24" foamie glider (Sparrow Hawk, same as the .020 version thread) with a cheap SonicModells brushless and 5x5 prop. It is a quick little beggar, guesstimate 100-110 - seriously, I don't try to dramatize. I have those cheapie blue 4.4gram servos on all surfaces and I beat the crap out of it all the time at speed. So far so good. Add IC motor vibration.. who knows? I'd try it. At the moment I have a set of HS35's and 45's for the next whatever small I build so after those maybe. I got a couple of the 2.2g but they have a lot of backlash, and one of the bottom covers just fell off, but it's a CA job.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used these cheap types in electric high speed brushless small planes too they do the job no doubt up to about 8oz all up weight. I look for the ones that have screws in the bottom. I don't like the ones that snap together or use plastic bands to hold the assembly together as crashes happen and wires get pulled servo bottom plates tend to separated and cause eternal damage.

Mike what brand 5x5 prop are you using?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:57 PM
av8rsodt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Troy - An .09 Sure Shark would be great. I know Rainedave who designed the SS a few years back. He recently moved away to Virginia Beach due to his father passing, but we still stay in touch.

He is an excellent designer / builder.

Working with the boys on drawing up some simple little stik plans. Thanks for the dimensions Tony and Troy.

Is SMALL Olympics like some sort of R/C Special Olympics? Thinking it must be with KevinW, DanB and SteveS involved
Old 06-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure Shark pylon racer:

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2105625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sure Shark.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	2105626  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Mr Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used the cheap tiny servos before but they can suddenly fail and that put my little Cub into a tree. I've now promised myself to never use the cheap servos on anything but a throttle...

The Dymond servos are in a different leage in every respect (quality and accuracy etc.) They are easy to sidemount too and are easy to fit into some really tight spaces.

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	2105653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	971.1 KB
ID:	2105654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	2105655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	2105656  
Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What engine did you go with for the Cub Kris, looks good!!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:15 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Pond Skipper View Post
I have used these cheap types in electric high speed brushless small planes too they do the job no doubt up to about 8oz all up weight. I look for the ones that have screws in the bottom. I don't like the ones that snap together or use plastic bands to hold the assembly together as crashes happen and wires get pulled servo bottom plates tend to separated and cause eternal damage.

Mike what brand 5x5 prop are you using?
APC 5x5
SonicModell 2000kV outrunner
SonicModell 18A ESC
450mAh 35/50C 3S (I get lots of flight time - I had to cut a hole under the wing for the battery for CG)
Lemon Rx 6ch Rx
AUW 7.2oz

Totally hideous spray painted EPO foam P.O.S. glider with my special tape/CA reinforcement method where needed - otherwise the wings would have peeled off long ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service