"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr/Sig Starcrusier

Old 07-14-2015, 05:42 PM
biplano

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Herr/Sig Starcrusier

For all of you considering building the Herr Starcrusier. I found the kit very easy and fun to build. The resulting airframe is very light, well designed and strong (yes this was ground tested against mother earth).

The flying characteristics of this small trainer plane are fantastic, far better than I ever though a 1/2 trainer could deliver. At halt throttle the plane goes very slow but steady, ideal for a beginner. Talking about strength, I had a receiver failure (never-never buy cheap receivers!!) and the little plane went in a 90 dive against the ground from about 90 -100 feet height. No damage at all! Flush the dirt from the engine, a new receiver and flying again.

I am flying this plane on a Thunder Tiger 07 and I am very pleased, although the Tiger needed an extra gasket to lower a bit the compression to run and behave as it should. (Incidentally I learned the trick reading an MP Jet 061 instruction manual). For about one Dollar and 2 minutes of work the 07 Th. Tiger went from a little nightmare to a totally different and well behaved engine with great idle, medium and top speeds. I am using a lightweight 170 mAh batteries (Cheapbattery packs / Kokan brand) but the plane is so light that any small pack will do. I am giving training lessons to my youngest (5 year old) son who likes the plane a lot. (He gets scared by big 40 sized trainers).

Last but not least, we had a mid air collision with a big 50 cc Extra 300 and the main landing gear was lost (just that luckily) and the folks at SIG we very nice by selling me a brand new set of it for a few bucks. Great customer services for this little plane too!

As for most small planes, although this plane can handle some moderate wind, it is happier with just light breezes. If you fly in a strong wind environment, this one is not a good choice.