Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on this idea?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:08 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on this idea?

I don't know how many guys use fiber glass stuff on the wing joint, but I've never liked how think it looks in the middle. Then one day I picked one of my wife's bounty dryer sheets and then it hit me. I could use one of those instead of the thicker fiber type mess wing reinforcement stuff you buy.

Anyways, I tried it and it seems to work great. You can't hardly see it when done. It probably wouldn't make a lot of difference but its probably lighter in weight also.

Just thought I'd pass it one.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Terry, I've noticed after crashes that anything less than 1.5 oz FG cloth doesn't have much structural value. I don't know how a dryer sheet compares to light weights of FG though.
I built a few of the 40 inch span Randolph type 1/2A planes without any FG cloth anywhere and they were plenty durable.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:18 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is pretty much like silkspan. Did you use polyester resin, or epoxy?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:33 PM
rc lifer

Tewitt--- I have been using used dryer sheets for years, they work great. I stumbled on to using them one night when I could not find my glass cloth, and needed to patch a cowl. It worked great
Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 PM
tewitt1949

I use a thin coat of epoxy, I have also used ca. I like epoxy better because while the epoxy is soft, I take the plastic off the back of mono coat and lay on the epoxy and smooth it out evenly with my finger. After the epoxy is set up, yank the plastic and it will come right off leaving a smooth finish. The epoxy has to be set hard.

Last edited by tewitt1949; 10-03-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:48 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For wing roots, I've used old covering inside out over the reinforcement (epoxy + whatever), and taped at the lap seam.Then I shrink it with the heat gun from the center out. Put some masking tape just outside the covering zone, and wipe up any oozing epoxy. Poor man's vacuum bagging.