Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Doc lam materials

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:02 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doc lam materials

I've used doc-u-lam for quite a while but the only disadvantage I see is getting paint to stick. I've only used the shinny clear stuff. Has anyone tried the stuff with matte finish. I'm thinking it might be rougher and paint might stick to it better. Anyone tried it?
Old 10-16-2015, 08:12 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stuff here. I have used it, but have not yet painted. I would do a search for painting doculam. I have read that some paint the 'glue/sticky' side then adhered, while others used a scuff pad on the exterior shiny surface and then painted. Again, this is just through reading and no experience on my part.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:42 PM
tewitt1949

I just got an email from the doc-u-laninate place and they said the laminating material is pollyester and paint don't stick very well to either clear or the matte material.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:15 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been thinking of getting some for a long time, but, well, you know. I think I read somewhere about scuffing it up and using a vinegar etch. Not sure, it seems to ring a bell. I think some of the plastic paints are also just a regular enamel, or whatever, but they have a bit of xylene mixed in so they dissolve the plastics a bit to bond better. Again, I have no experience with it, just really subscribing here to hear ideas.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:34 PM
NEW222

Originally Posted by tewitt1949
I just got an email from the doc-u-laninate place and they said the laminating material is pollyester and paint don't stick very well to either clear or the matte material.
They do make the product, correct, and also are correct that the paint does not stick very well, correct again. As a Collision Repairer by trade, nothing will stick well without adhesion. This is where after application of the laminate, you would have to use something to scuff up and dull the surface, this is where the shiny stuff would come in, as you will see where it is scuffed. This will give the paint something to 'bite' into. Again, I have myself never used it and painted it, but from reading online, and working in the trade, this should work well. Also depending on what paints you would plan on using, you may also need to put a coat of clear overtop to protect the paint from dissolving from your fuel.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM
NEW222

Here are a couple of links I had found online. Just type in 'Painting Doculam For RC'.
http://www.mikeszone.com/doculam-for...r-rc-airplane/

Old 10-18-2015, 06:10 PM
tr6world

I'm the author of that link "doculam for rc airplanes" and I have used doculam on a few planes. The paint sticks fine with no problems. After you have applied the film to your airplane, wipe it down well with rubbing alcohol or some type of degreaser. You don't want any oils present on the film. Scuffing the material with a fine grade sandpaper can't hurt. Be sure to use a good primer before spraying your color. I have never had a problem with the paint not adhering.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished airplanes painted using doculam type film which you can buy here:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes-P-47.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2126166   Click image for larger version

Name:	captured2_p-51b.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	2126167  
Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM
NEW222

Wow. Those look amazing. Ihad seen a few painted doculam models before, but none as scale as yours. I am now myself wanting to try it out for myself.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM
tewitt1949

I've never tryed wiping it down with a degreaser, I'll try that once. My paint sticks but scratches off pretty easy. And I agree with the body guy, it has to have something to bond too.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
aspeed

I always used wax and grease remover before and after sanding on the fiberglass hotrods, so the wax does not get ground into the finish. Scotchbrite might be a good candidate for the Doculam.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Amazing..!
I never would have guessed it would take paint so well.
I've seen doculam covered over stained wood and that looked pretty slick on a Fun Fly type model.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:42 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Last edited by H5606; 10-25-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Oops - wrong place!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Worth saying that there are MANY formulations of Laminating film.
Each behaves differently; in shirinkage / temperature / rigidity And Paint acceptance.
All over and above the thickness choices :-)
How many types of Toy Airplane films are there ?? Even More with lam films
Critical to get a test piece ..Before.. buying 250 ft roll. Pick the wrong one and it's for the garbage bin.

Beyond that Glidden "gripper' Latex primer Sticks well to Plastics including most Laminating films. Try and See :-)
One can tint the stuff to be final colour as that can simplify the painting process. It's Dead Flat Matt though
Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Paint adhesion is a relative term. I have been marginally successful at getting paint to stick to Doculam BUT NEVER have been able to get it to stick well enough to survive any sort of masking tape. So although you MIGHT be able to paint your plane one color, I seriously doubt you will be happy when you pull the masking tape off after applying your trim paint.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:58 PM
tewitt1949

I usually paint the lam material then using the stick on trim I trim it out. Make sure the trim is where you want it or else it will pull the paint off.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggestion... Find a paint that will stick and meld with the glue on the inner surface..
I had great success with Krylon Interior / Exterior spraying the inside until they changed the formula about 10 years ago. Still had to seal the edges though with dope or a $cote trim stripe.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM
aspeed

I think the Xylene helps to "meld" to the plastic. That is likely the VOC that changed the formula 10 years ago. You might be able to find some, and mix it with the paint if you use an airbrush or spray. Otherwise, maybe just try some acetone, it will dissolve many plastics, maybe would work on the Doculam. I think either one would evaporate away before affecting the paint curing cycle. I would still clean and scuff it before covering the plane though. I still have not bought my rolls yet, I wanted the 1.5 mil, and the 3 mil just to try, but our dollar pretty much doubles the price with shipping now. I guess it is still a good deal, but I picked up a big box of various coverings at a swap meet, so I am good for a bit longer, till the dollar gains a bit at least.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:45 PM
danilo-2

Buy Local . Surprisingly Laminating is even done in Canada.
Find a local shop that will sell you Roll ends for a few $ and give you samples to test at home.

PS: Gripper survives the masking tape test... on MY Lam film.
Again; there are *many* types

Last edited by danilo-2; 11-13-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:54 PM
aspeed

I have two types, but they definitely do not work. One just melts. I looked for a while, but need to go to a bigger city I guess. The Russian combat stuff is strong and light but needs to be glued, so I am not interested in that. Fascal is peel and stick, I used to like that stuff, but it does not seem to be around now. It did peel off after getting fuel on it too.