Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Finally found a 1/2A speed video on YT!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Finally found a 1/2A speed video on YT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:38 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was surprised to find out how long the good F2A engines last - many, many runs (unless bad things happen of course..). Bill H mentioned his best run on one engine was on something like flight #60.

The Profi combat/proto engines I run on small RC models wail away like banshees in the 30's, then run out of fuel and stop, then yawn with boredom and do it again - with little fuss unless something dumb is wrong. Like my last Nelson plug that would not seal.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:40 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The F2A motors only need to be timed for 1 KM, and that is over in 9 laps or maybe 13 seconds. A few laps to get going and then there is a shutoff to kill it. If it is too lean, then the shutoff save you too. If the plane hops out of the dolly and you get a shaft run, well the plane explodes unless you can shut it off quick. The FAI fuel is easy on the motors too. Just a bit of varnish once in a while that slows you down until you clean it off. The other speed events now use 10% fuel. There was a lot of grumbling when that rule came out, but it works out well for preserving the motors. Those combat motors take a beating. Good metallurgy.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM
MJD

My Profi F2A came with the 0% and 10% nitro head buttons. I think you speed fliers generally know these things, but I am surprised to realize how many parts fit across brands.. but I suppose the Rossi .15 spawned a lot of reverse engineering didn't it? I dropped the 10% button in the MDS, with its new Rossi rod, and off it went. Big boost in performance replacing the MDS pipe with a Profi. It's really easy to handle so far.. looking forward to flying it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...l#post12170497

Last edited by MJD; 02-04-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That 1/2 A plane didn't take much time to get on step...!
I think it's more interesting to watch the pilot and just listen to the plane.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 PM
MJD

These guys are Profi - they ought to know how to set it up. Yeah, it sure seems eager to stage, yet it sounded pretty healthy all through the run. Tank shims and all that.. great stuff.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 PM
combatpigg

The magic number is 42K.
700 cycles / sec.
How is that possible...?
How can you improve on that with the same bore and stroke..?
Revolutionary bearing design improvement and materials that can withstand higher running temps I suppose.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 AM
MJD

He's running a 2 blade prop here, I was surprised, about 4x4. For competition says he has single blade with about 6" pitch ready. Not sure why you would want that much when the target speeds are 150-160 at 40k plus, but.. what do I know.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:00 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by MJD
He's running a 2 blade prop here, I was surprised, about 4x4. For competition says he has single blade with about 6" pitch ready. Not sure why you would want that much when the target speeds are 150-160 at 40k plus, but.. what do I know.
I would be happy with the 4 x 4. I use to use a 4.2 x 4 APC on the G&Z and it was as much as that setup could handle...if not a little bit too much.
The pre-tuned pipe is nice because it took who knows how many man hours to arrive at it and now all you have to worry about is matching the compression and the load to make it sing.