Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Kit sacrelige.. Bad Baby Birdie mutant

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Kit sacrelige.. Bad Baby Birdie mutant

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It could be a .15 sized Scream Machine with a rudder...!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to (famous words) build another not too far after this one, but maybe with the CV-A or Conquest, and 4 channel.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What is inspiring is to watch the Morris Hobbies video of their .15 sized PenKnife.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM
MJD

A bit to the other end of the wing loading and maneuverability spectrum. I found some other Penknife video on YouTube, not the Morris video.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM
MJD

A bit of progress. Aileron stock bonded to TE, masked off on the aileron portion but yet to be cut out. Some hangar rash on the TE sheeting, oopsie. Upgraded to clear tape holding on the tail group. Next to sheet one side of wing full, then install aileron servos, and close it up. Tips to be filled too.

Set airplane on floor, aim camera, move cat, try again, move cat, take picture with cat, move cat.. quickly shoot more. As you see it, with the elevator servo in, less cat, 14.9 ounces. So if I can finish it in 9 ounces, doing well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB 1.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	2151000   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB 2.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	2151001   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB 3.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	2151002  
Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey!!! What happened to this project? I have an inquiring mind you know.

I am looking for a "15" size mini pattern kit. I know Eureka Aircraft sells a bunch of versions, but not the small Birdie. Anywhere I can find a kit for a Birdie to put my Norvel .15 on it? Otherwise, any small pattern kit that would use a Norvel 15 or an OS 25FX? I don't plan on building with a landing gear since I fly off a grass field.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 AM
MJD

Well, like most of my concurrent/multitasking projects, I confess it goes quick for a while then I get distracted by something else.

Wings are fully sheeted, waiting glass and covering.
Tail surfaces complete
Fuselage complete
Cowl - pending if I make one

So it is time for a final push, and I see no reason it won't be ready for fall, but not August. I'll have the wing done shortly. It's really light and strong, I am encouraged by the potential.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM
MJD

Since I felt guilty after replying to your message, this evening I am glassing the wing center..
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 PM
hsukaria

Jeez, don't do it just for me!!!

BTW, I haven't even started the Screamin Demon kit I bought from you. But one of the club guys bought one from and built it. He is tearing up the sky with it. I will get to mine but I have 2 or 3 planes ahead of ir.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:38 PM
MJD

I know how all that goes.. glad there's one flying, do yours whenever you get to it.

I checked the Sunshine Model site in Germany, they used to have a Curare .10 kit but no more. I never bought one while they did, dummy I am.

I got my kit from the classifieds, you just gotta search and keep your eyes open.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Hey!!! What happened to this project? I have an inquiring mind you know.

I am looking for a "15" size mini pattern kit. I know Eureka Aircraft sells a bunch of versions, but not the small Birdie. Anywhere I can find a kit for a Birdie to put my Norvel .15 on it? Otherwise, any small pattern kit that would use a Norvel 15 or an OS 25FX? I don't plan on building with a landing gear since I fly off a grass field.
So far I have only found Eureka kits as well. For the Birdie kits, it's a crap shoot in the classifieds/auction sites. No Birdies listed that I can see, 1/2A or .10.

I wonder what electric to glow conversion options there are, now that reverse conversion has become more of a norm..
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by MJD
So far I have only found Eureka kits as well. For the Birdie kits, it's a crap shoot in the classifieds/auction sites. No Birdies listed that I can see, 1/2A or .10.

I wonder what electric to glow conversion options there are, now that reverse conversion has become more of a norm..
I haven't looked at electric to glow conversion, but I have been looking at the Eureka baby pattern planes. I can't make up my mind which one to get though. The Banshee or Mach 1 seem like they would scale down nicely.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Jeez, don't do it just for me!!!
Ha ha too late. I even went home at lunch today, sanded it smooth and feathered the edges down. I'm going to cover the whole wing in shrunk polyester tissue, nitrate, prime and paint in KlassKote.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 PM
hsukaria

I am trying to hurry up and finish an abandoned House of Balsa AT-6 1/12 scale kit. I am not putting landing gear or rudder control. It will have an old OS 20 pre-fp. It won't be a screamer, just sport fun.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 PM
MJD

[QUOTE=hsukaria;12247471 I can't make up my mind which one to get though. The Banshee or Mach 1 seem like they would scale down nicely.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know. They could fly just like small versions of their big brother, or there could be enough changes to make them a totally different thing. I'd go with the one that you think looks the coolest.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by MJD
I wouldn't know. They could fly just like small versions of their big brother, or there could be enough changes to make them a totally different thing. I'd go with the one that you think looks the coolest.
I agree. I think the mini Birdy would look the coolest. But the mini Banshee would look good in that small size. The baby Curare didn't look as slick as the full size Curare IMHO. But I am judging them based on a limited number of pictures. I have not seen any of them in person. I am totally new to this size of glow planes. I have flown electric park flyers in the past, but that is not the same.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 PM
MJD

Try not to exceed 32oz with a .15. Under that feels better and better as you go. A sport .15 on a small 26-28oz ship would be good fun. IIRC my Mini Contender EP .15 conversion is right at 31 or 32oz, Magnum .15 XLS and 8-4 prop and flies like a champ, lots of vertical. One of these pattern birds may call for something more like a 7-5 prop, the Contender has the big fat symmetrical airfoil typical of the large Contenders, Hots etc., while these may like to hustle along a bit more quickly on the level.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by MJD
Try not to exceed 32oz with a .15. Under that feels better and better as you go. A sport .15 on a small 26-28oz ship would be good fun. IIRC my Mini Contender EP .15 conversion is right at 31 or 32oz, Magnum .15 XLS and 8-4 prop and flies like a champ, lots of vertical. One of these pattern birds may call for something more like a 7-5 prop, the Contender has the big fat symmetrical airfoil typical of the large Contenders, Hots etc., while these may like to hustle along a bit more quickly on the level.
I did look at the mini Contender as an option instead of the classic pattern planes. Being an ARF would make it less of a time investment. In what orientation did you install the engine? Vertical, inverted, sideways? Maybe upright would be better for a handlaunch/belly lander plane.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:23 AM
MJD

I mounted it inverted, which is the biggest PITA of all options. Well, not if you leave off the cowl, but that's a bit rough. I did modify the cowl to fit, had to toughen it up in certain areas so it could be hogged out to clear the engine. I'd go upright for ease of install. It's a great little flier - the airframe is well built, stiff and light. There's a thread on it here.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by MJD
I mounted it inverted, which is the biggest PITA of all options. Well, not if you leave off the cowl, but that's a bit rough. I did modify the cowl to fit, had to toughen it up in certain areas so it could be hogged out to clear the engine. I'd go upright for ease of install. It's a great little flier - the airframe is well built, stiff and light. There's a thread on it here.
Is there a way to install the ailerron servos on the upper side of the wings or in the wing center to avoid snagging if belly landing? I fly off a grass field that would be too rough for a small plane.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 AM
MJD

I'll check it out to see. I fly mine off grass with the stock LG. I don't think the LG slows it down much when you have that huge fat wing taking care of so much of the drag chores.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 AM
MJD

Possible .15 and .25 candidates?

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=96
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=54
Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 AM
hsukaria

Those are nice!!

I read most of your thread on the mini Contender conversion and I will put that as a good future project option.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:59 AM
MJD

One issue, and last night I remembered how this factored into the inverted engine decision, is the height of the carb on an upright mounting scheme relative to the height of the tank. You can fit a 3 or 4 ounce tank in there easily but you might want to angle the engine 45 to bring the muffler clear and to lower the carb centerline. I used a 3oz Hayes, which seems small but I spend so much time at part throttle it gives good flight time. Inverting the engine wasn't that big a deal really, but I did modify the cowling.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:07 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by MJD
One issue, and last night I remembered how this factored into the inverted engine decision, is the height of the carb on an upright mounting scheme relative to the height of the tank. You can fit a 3 or 4 ounce tank in there easily but you might want to angle the engine 45 to bring the muffler clear and to lower the carb centerline. I used a 3oz Hayes, which seems small but I spend so much time at part throttle it gives good flight time. Inverting the engine wasn't that big a deal really, but I did modify the cowling.
I noticed that from the pictures about the tank height. But you did a neat job with the mods. Carving cowls has been one of my fortes over the years. I can't claim the same about covering. That's why ARFs are so much easier for me, the covering and painting process.

Anyway, with such small planes, it would be easy to invert the plane to start the engine in an inverted engine setup if the need arises. Only thing is if I am belly landing the plane, the engine will get dirty if it is mounted inverted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.