Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini Midget mustang from Airborne models.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Midget mustang from Airborne models.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its a prather pitch gauge. take a MA 6x4 and hold it against a APC 6x4 and its very obvious the MA has less pitch. If I get some time I will take a picture for you. There are plans out there if you would like to make one your self
Old 10-22-2016, 11:57 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airraptor
its a prather pitch gauge. take a MA 6x4 and hold it against a APC 6x4 and its very obvious the MA has less pitch. If I get some time I will take a picture for you. There are plans out there if you would like to make one your self
Hey, a Prather... I got one too.

So what did that MA 6x4 measure on yours? You did mention you'd measured it.

It's really not news two different brands aren't alike. Heck, some brands differ one side to the other.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:53 PM
airraptor

That was so long ago buy some where near a three. either way the APC is by far a better prop for 98% of the planes out there.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a guy in England that makes a pitch gauge still. I think the markings are on clear lexan. I just photocopied a Prather faceplate, and machined the rest to match on mine. The odd Prather gauge comes up on the internet once in awhile. I kind of like the MA props, mostly because they last longer when there is a nose over, or no wheels. Revup props were light on pitch too. but they did rev up.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Pond Skipper

I have seen nylon props increase in pitch after they have been used.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Pond Skipper

Plane came in, it is too lightly built for anything more than low weight sub .10 engine,
so light it can actually do just fine with a .061. With a smooth running electric it could
handle up to 260w. So light a TD .049 would fly it fine. Possible floater with a TD .020
and a 4x3 for calm weather flying. More power and weight will cause a short life span.

Less canopy and pilot: 178g / 6.28oz with no landing gear as it sits out of the box, primarily
all balsa less motor / wing mount. Many holes to reduce weight, open framed as possible it
was built for electrics from the ground up. Cowl is 23.7g nice finish but not sure if it is nitro proof.
Stickers are nice but then not sure if they will hold up to nitro over time. Workmanship is good.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4260.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	2187517  

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 10-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

I'm curious - what spinner diameter is the cowl set up for?

Sound like an .074 and some prop experiments might be the ticket.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by MJD
Sound like an .074 and some prop experiments might be the ticket.
That's what I tried to say earlier in this thread, but I was then accused of being too negative...
Old 10-26-2016, 07:23 AM
Pond Skipper

Mike in the parts list it states 36mm / 1.42" I have not measured mine yet to confirm.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
That's what I tried to say earlier in this thread, but I was then accused of being too negative...
Maybe you were being sensible rather than negative, especially witht he stock airframe. Note though that raptor did say "new stab" - I've found it's often the first flying surface that needs attention when upping the performance on these built up EP ARFs.

It's really hard not to get excited when you see a sporty little ARF that looks perfect for ripping around with something out of the .15 drawer.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:30 PM
airraptor

I haven't messed with mine much as i was thinking a TD 09 as i bought one for it but a light weight 15 would be good too. You can remove some weight off most 15 size engines like no mounting lugs, back plate mounted and so on. most of the carbs can go on a diet. I think you can get them down to 4 ounces minus exhaust set up but something like this i would just do a tuned pipe header with no pipe cut to fit well.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:18 PM
MJD

The ratio of carb to engine size/mass is crazy on some small engines. The CX-11 is one that comes to mind. It is however understandable that there is little incentive for IC engine makers to invest R&D resources into tiny lightweight carbs for engines that are gradually losing popularity, and that are by nature of their size harder to make economically in the first place.

I'll hold off on one of these for now, I don't deserve it until some other projects are finished. If they still exist by then.