Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr AT-6

Old 07-30-2017, 04:20 AM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr AT-6

Greeting all, does anyone have any experience with the Herr AT-6? Putting one on the board in the next month or so. I have a norvel 074, an 061 and any number of electric power options. Any thoughts? Landing gear on, or off? I would love to hear any experience. Thanks y'all.
Digger
​​​​​​​
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Digger-RCU

The research I have done suggests that the plane can fly on an 061 and will weigh 19 oz or so. It does have a small wing though 190 sqs or so with a wingspan of 36 inches. I usually like a little extra power if i am going to have high wing loading, and so I am considering the 074. Folks who have electrified it seem to have trouble getting it to fly well even at an all up weight of 17 oz. ( I have to wonder if this represents poor building/flying experience as I figure lighter flies better)

Has anyone built or flown this plane or any other plane of this size/weight. I have built and flown several 1/2As in my time, but it has been several years. The last one was a sure shark with a norvel 049 that have very lite wing loading, and flew great. It is really the wing loading of 14.4 oz per square foot that has me worried. Thanks y'all. Any input you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Digger-RCU; 07-31-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 AM
SGC

Ive seen one flying years ago at another clubs flyin, it was powered by a Thunder tiger 074 , flew ok had no under carrage , used a dolly to take off - not hand launched.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear you are back in the 1/2A fold Mr. Burt. I would use the .074 that you have. No substitute for horses. There will be some around that say use a .15.... they make them with throttles.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Digger-RCU

Thanks for the input y'all. Nice to see you again Steve. I like the idea of a dolly, but I think I would have to do a little testing before I implemented such a plan. I feel like the plane would be plenty fast with the 074 (which i dont mind), but I believe it will take a little run up in the takeoff due to the small wing. My current field is heavy grass and a little bumpy. Could be tough with a plane this small. I am fairly sure I will build and see how it goes. I will post as I build. The stated weight of 19-20 OZ seems a little heavy to me,. and i will look to shave a little if I can. The HOB planes are slightly bigger, but they fly really well even if they are in the 22-24 oz range. I dont know why I am nervous about this one, but the tip stalling reputation is making me want to plan ahead. Thanks again y'all.