"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel AME .049 (.8cc)

Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 PM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have noticed that the plugs rub away the taper in the aluminum and protrude after a few times tightening. The Nelson plugs have a better taper that doesn't seem to rub away the aluminum so much. I have not played with too many brands yet, well, because they are $15. Merlins are only $6.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Mr Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have only used turbo plugs from OS an Merlin, and these are interchangable. The threaded part is a little longer on the Merlin while the conical part is the same.

There are lots of options to choose from, and the only ones to really stay away from I would say are the ones that use a regular plug, They can be made to work if the head volume is right (the Mecoa ones needs modification in a lathe) and the threads of the glow plug are sealed below the copper washer with Hylomar (or similar "form a gasket" stuff).

If you have access to a lathe you can also make you own turbo heads. Either from an old plug or as an insert for the stock clamp ring.

Below is a little line-up of heads I did for another thread on this topic. Starting from the left we have the stock Cox (low compression), Mecoa for a regular glow plug (an Enya #4 plug is in there now), a regular Cox head converted to Turbo (by me), a Valentine dedicated Turbo head and finally the Galbreath Nelson plug head;

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0135.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	2234143

And here is also a turbo head I made from a stock cox .020 head, the plug is only hanging on by a thread or two (!) but it works:

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0132.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	2234144

Last edited by Mr Cox; 09-27-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the Nelson head is going to be the Best option for me. Thanks for posting all of those pictures. That is great information to have!

Stupid question that I may have asked before - my .049 came to me with a Thimble Drome 6x3 on it, and I got my hands on a few other props. A white nylon 5x3, a 5x3 wood (maybe an old zinger or something; it's not marked otherwise), and I have an APC 5.5x2.5. Is the APC suitable? I don't see why it wouldn't, but APC tends to load engines more than other props do.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-28-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had one of the older Norvels that would not run- at all - on a 6-3, or larger load. A 4 1/4 -4 and 5-3 it sang really nice. Pic of a Cox head I did a long time ago probably for a short plug, the squish band was sanded a bit to make up for the compression loss that the threading does. I forget the results, it may have been 30 years ago. The other is the Merlin which is very similar to the two piece stock Norvel head and gives similar results to the Cox TD head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cox hd.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2234162   Click image for larger version

Name:	needle valves cleaned motors 004.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2234163  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I figured a 5x3 was the way to go, but would a 5.5x2.5 not be comparable? Maybe cut it down to 5.25" diameter? The blade tips are pretty thin, so trimming it down wouldn't be hard. Should make it rev pretty good.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is probably fine at 5.5. Depends on your plane. The motor I had was timed different than the newer ones I think, the others seem fine with the regular size props. I think I have a dozen or so.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 AM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2.5 pitch will make for a slow plane the prop is best left as is for a 3D type plane or FF where thrust
is the primary need. Do you have a pic of the Ugly Stick plane what is the weight est. with the IC power
and it's wing span? For sport flying with the Norvel AME you would not be hurting with a MA 5x4 good
mix of thrust and speed.

Here is a vid with a APC 4.2x4 Norvel AME .061 using a Sportswerks header and Profi 1/2A tuned pipe,
this setup was for speed but a 4.5x4.5 would be better. You can buy the pipe and header currently
for anyone wanting to make it happen both items are for sale on ebay right now 5 pipes left last time
as of the other day.

AmpAbuser
Published on Aug 10, 2015

.061 AME Norvel on a Profi Tuned Pipe Non SPI version with 150 deg exhaust timing APC 4.2x4
2oz of bench running prior to first flight per vid a bit rich. In the hand best peak 24.8k / 96F summer day.
Best level pass 28.6k down wind. 12oz all up weight 5ch plane with flaps 88sq. in 28in span

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 09-29-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm still a novice pilot, so a slow plane is a good plane to learn on.

Currently weighs 200g - but there's still an ESC and receiver buried inside that will get changed. But somewhere in the 10oz range - maybe a bit much for an .049, but I had an AP .061 fly a Norvel trainer far worse (heavier and more underpowered). Wingspan is 33" and it's all foam. The firewall is liteply 1/8" with a block of balsa glued to it for the electric motor it originally had. I'd remove all that and replace with something a little stronger.

And just something to keep in mind - 1/2a props are hard to get locally, and paying shipping on a couple of $2 props is a little ridiculous, so realistically I'm looking for two or three prop sizes to try that will work well enough to fly a plane for a minute at a time.

Name:	IMG_7459.JPG
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2234311  

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-29-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:38 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At 32" that will be plenty fast with even a 2" pitch, at least for the first few flights. We used to go by 42" with an .049 without a throttle. The Ace wing planes were around 36" and seemed quite lively at full bore. I have an .06 on an Ace Simple 400 and it takes me a few circuits before I go to full throttle. I am pretty old and slow, but not that bad really.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I figured the .049 should fly the Stik okay. I got the plane and engine for free too, so I'm not heartbroken if it gets rekitted. I do want it to fly reasonably since I'm not very skilled yet.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am going to order the Galbreath conversion head for Nelson plugs to fit my Norvel .049. They sell the standard Nelson HD plugs (I'm guessing they must be a colder heat range?) as well as hot Nelson plugs. Which would be best off with? I'd like to get a couple plugs with the conversion head and would like to not need to get both of I don't need to. There's also a mention on the Galbreath site about using only one shim if going from a Norvel head to the Nelson head - I think they mean the Norvel glow head and not the standard plug head? Are the Norvel glow heads and standard plug heads setup with the same chamber size/volume? I have two shims currently (I don't know how thick they are off hand), so my question is what glow plugs should I get and do I need to have more than two shims? I plan to use a typical 1/2a fuel using 15-20% nitro and 22-24% oil. I removed one shim from under the standard head and have a long glow plug with a single washer under it - the compression is still a little soft (I'm not real experienced with these smaller engines, so I don't know what is acceptable/"good") and the piston seal isn't the best, but it does feel a little stronger with only one shim installed.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 10-02-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Mr Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is were the fine tuning begins, so it is very hard to give precis answers.
I have used both the regular and the hotter Nelson plugs, and I think the hotter ones throttle a little better but not as quite as well as a hot turbo plug (OS P4 as an example). For full throttle, and all out power, the regular Nelsons are fine and pretty hard to beat.

The optimum number of head shims depends on the fuel (oil and nitro content), prop size and the individual engine. I prefer to start from an extra head shim or two and then work down from there, remove a shim and compare needle setting and rpm numbers and overall handling. This is safer than starting with too few head shims which can overheat the engine. Remember also that an engine that is less sensitive to the needle setting will often perform better in the air, compared to an engine that you can just about tweak the needle for on the ground for a few extra rpm.

If you are serious about 1/2A flying you will soon acquire a respectable collection of engines, heads and heads shims, plus a number of suitable props. It is just a natural part of the hobby.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Mr Cox View Post
This is were the fine tuning begins, so it is very hard to give precis answers.
I have used both the regular and the hotter Nelson plugs, and I think the hotter ones throttle a little better but not as quite as well as a hot turbo plug (OS P4 as an example). For full throttle, and all out power, the regular Nelsons are fine and pretty hard to beat.

The optimum number of head shims depends on the fuel (oil and nitro content), prop size and the individual engine. I prefer to start from an extra head shim or two and then work down from there, remove a shim and compare needle setting and rpm numbers and overall handling. This is safer than starting with too few head shims which can overheat the engine. Remember also that an engine that is less sensitive to the needle setting will often perform better in the air, compared to an engine that you can just about tweak the needle for on the ground for a few extra rpm.

If you are serious about 1/2A flying you will soon acquire a respectable collection of engines, heads and heads shims, plus a number of suitable props. It is just a natural part of the hobby.
Fair enough - thank you. Maybe I'll get a couple of the regular HDs and try it out. Since the condition of the engine has me concerned, I don't want to invest too much into it just yet. I'm not sure how crazy I'll get with 1/2a just yet.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM
BrightGarden

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran into a problem with a pre-Revlite AME .061 in the middle of a build log of a Hornet, "on the other rc website" in the 1/2A forum.
My norvel would braaaaap but not run.
Dragged out info on different threads, some threads more than 10 years old, addressing the problem.
Got input from several smart/experienced guys.
If you get the piston/cylinder/timing thing wrung out and still have problems, mine needed to have the prop shaft lapped - was just a little tight.
I was trying all different numbers of shims, heads, etc. Including the Galbreath/Nelson setup.
Turns out mine had a known "defect" that a subset of them had.
After I cautiously lapped the shaft, I got an honest run from it.
I got interrupted by some things and haven't gotten back to it, but I believe I need to give it another treatment, it was still tight.
As the engine heated up the shaft would bind. Doesn't seem to do any permanent damage, but just held right up, abruptly.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think mine has the crankshaft problem. Mine just doesn't run at the rpm it should. IIRC I was getting about 16-17k from a 5.5x2.5 APC prop on 10% nitro fuel. The standard glow plug robs 1-1.5k rpm and the weak piston seal robs some. This engine should turn this prop above 20k.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 AM
fredvon4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Too Tight a crank is a real possibility
Easy enough to check...better with a Thermal heat gun

Run the engine for a minuet or three up to temp. Pinch off...feel or test the nose to see if it is hotter than the aft case
Careful if using finger... I scorched mine first time despite having a thermal gun across the rom

I run a LOT of Norvel .049 and .061 for combat planes... most of them Have a tight pinch and hard to break in initially...most seemed like duds until I saw the too tight crank posts... Quick polishing of the crank is all it took to get over 1500RPM increase
I only run Galbraith head and Nelson standard plugs and 25% Nitro in mine

My method of polishing the crank front bearing area is to chuck up the nose of the crank in my small electric drill...
I bought one of the Pine Wood derby hop up kits from Hobby Lobby one time and it has a Diamond paste for polishing the soft (Nail) Axle
I went on line to find the diamond Paste maker and found a source for the 5 grits they offer

Thats my OCD way...but I have friends that do it all the time with first crocus cloth then 800 grit and then 1200 grit and call it done
Trust me the crank is hard enough that you would have a hard time getting it too loose
Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The crank spins easier after the engine is warmed up. It will hand start warm significantly easier than when it's cold. I seriously doubt the crank fit is the problem with the engine.

I have a Galbreath head with a couple Nelson HD plugs en route to me from Larry Driskill. I think he was going to send some extra shims too.

How many shims do you use in your .049s with the Galbreath head using 25% nitro and what prop? (I will reread past replies because sleep deprivation makes me forget things easily. Darn kids!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:17 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received my Galbreath head and Nelson glow plugs. Quite the difference in shape of the chamber, but the compression feel isn't much different. Adding a few drops of oil to the cylinder helped a bit. I have the head and plug snugged up with two head shims and I have two extra shims. I'm gonna run it with two shims on some 20/22 fuel and see how it goes.

Name:	IMG_7468.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2240220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7469.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2240221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7470.JPG
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2240222  
Old 12-04-2017, 01:45 PM
gmeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I have a Norvel AME .049 that I intend to put on a currently-electric ugly stick. It originally came with a standard glow plug head and 3 or 4 head shims. I've run it a couple times, but it didnt run real consistent (the RC throttle was locked wide open). I'd like to see if I can get my hands on a new piston and cylinder, and a drop-in type glow head. I know there are Nelson plug heads available, but are they equal in performance to the drop-in glow heads? Does anyone have an AME .049 piston and cylinder that's in good shape or new they'd let go of? I've found NOS parts on eBay, but they wanted exuberant prices for those parts and I'm on a tight budget. Just wondering if there's anyone that might have some wisdom and/or parts to share?
I just now received some Norvel parts which I ordered from NV Engines. No cylinders in my order but I have gotten them in the past. give him a try I know he is still in business Airplane engines there are parts lists and diagrams available on his site too
http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=65

Last edited by gmeyers; 12-04-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only new stock parts they make are Big Mig. They do not make AME .049 parts anymore based on the email I got from them. I want to keep my engine an AME. Thanks for the info though.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They do sell the AME CL version still
I just ordered a turbo plug adapter from them for my .074

GMeyers how long did it take for your order to show up?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put a Galbreath/Nelson plug head on my .049. The Nelson plugs are cheaper than the turbos and about equal the performance as I’ve been told.

NV Engines do not make an AME .049 anything currently. If they list such an engine on their website, it’s an error. I emailed them and went back and forth asking questions and the response to all was “no”. I wish I’d kept the email they had sent me previously.