"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fuji .05

Old 11-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had all good comments only twice was there something said I was forced to delete.
Was people suggesting music to use in the vid and links to their trans music. Just in case it
was a bad link I didn't want anyone to click on it out of curiosity. The music I choose
is the singing of the engines always

So far 70,719 views most folks enjoy the vid sharing and data for project ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AmpAbus...able_polymer=1

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 11-23-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:50 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I always click off the vids with an airplane flying and the music. You know it is amateurs or kids.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:05 AM
gmeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
My GZ doesn't turn up as fast as the CS. They do look the same. I think they might have some interchangeable parts. It is still a CS though(?) and they are finished with production too. The older CS had an engineering change early on. There was a small block and later a big block, maybe to blend in an .06? I am not a historian because of my memory, but fairly old to have gone through stuff. It is always easy to slow a motor down. A bigger prop with less pitch, a few head spacers to give less advance timing effect. The motor will last longer and thank you for it too.
I had CS .049' s and CS. 061's at one time now I'm down to 2 of I don't knows. I'll have to measure them one of these days to see what I have. The outer cases of the .049 and .061 were the same in the ones I had. Seems to me that the older CS's were more crudely sand cast. I still have a CS .09 and a CS .80. I bought a couple of tuned pipes for the .09 but cant' use em unless I cut the front end off and make an adapter to mate the pipe to the engine. Sizes are different. I had a .15 and a .21 at one time and looks like my new pipes would fit them but wouldn't be of sufficient volume.

Anybody know if carbon props are available anywhere ?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Deed is done for now see data a video first CS .061 RC and Profi tuned pipe:

AmpAbuser
Published on Nov 24, 2017

CS .061 / Nelson Plug Med. / Profi .8cc Tuned Pipe / APC 4.5x4
Best Peak 25,193 rpm / .188hp / 140.3w / 12oz thrust / 96 mph
Hold peak 25,052 rpm / 25% nitro / 20% oil blend
8.75" Mean Reflective Point / "center of piston to 2" from end of stinger.
3.75 turns out due to no pressure taps.

With pressure tap should get at least another 400 rpm. All in all not bad
for old school CS engine from back in the day. Given the mass of the
spinner and prop type it was making good power. A low weight spinner nut
and carbon prop would have yielded better numbers. To be fair it is not
optimized yet. However a rare (only) vid of a CS .061 RC in action with a tuned pipe.
Did come with a red anodized head I swapped heads from my CL version
as it had a nelson plug.

Picco .05 on the same Profi pipe.

AmpAbuser
Published on Feb 25, 2017

Custom Crank / Picco .0519 ci / .85 cc / APC 4.2x4 / 29,473 rpm Custom crank for improved longevity and performance.
165 deg exhaust over stock @ 160 / 4oz break in time results: Static: 12 oz thrust / 111.3 mph / .227 hp / 170 W
Brief peak needle 30,564 rpm Static: 13.4 oz thrust / 116 mph / .255 hp / 190.2W 34W improvement over stock crank.
9in MRP 30% nitro / 20% oil / AP .09 carb / Profi .8cc Tuned Pipe

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 11-24-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:44 PM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carbon fibre props might be available from APC in some sizes. Something in the 4 1/4" - 4 is a good starting point for an .049. Much smaller will just be hard on them. It is too small for an .06. Another good source is Eliminator Props. 1/2A Proto Speed - .049 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce The combat ones are a bit low pitch for speed planes, but pull a combat plane around good without slowing down on the corners. I personally think they all rev a bit higher than needed, even the F2D props. They use a 6 1/4 - 4 with very thin blades. They do sound sweet though. I will maybe get the son to coach me on the Youtube account. That Picco sounds nice.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would stick with the bench tested 4.5 x 4 if the plane is light just to bust 30k ish in the air with the CS but really a
4.75 x 4 for RC use would make for a good mix of speed / thrust and help longevity of the older rare tech.

The Picco .05 is so well made you can let it rip ever how much desired. Really all the more modern small car engines can
be ran hard with out much fuss or worry. I have flown and ran 4 brand types so far in actual use to include with outrigger hydro's
crazy rpm has not destroyed them yet. Shame they have been shadowed by electric motors.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:10 PM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Picco cranks were weak. I am afraid to run mine without updating the crank. It is too big for the 1/2A class without a reground or new crank. Then a bigger bearing is normally used. The .06 and .07s are nice for a cool toy but no good for the speed events. 10% fuel is all that is allowed too. The rules used to allow any amount of nitro long after no pipes and 10% fuel were in the rule change, but now it is 10% too. They still go 140 mph though.The old rules in the 1970s allowed a .65 with 80% nitro fuel and a pipe. 200 mph no problem. Then thicker lines, no pipe, 10% fuel... Eventually they get to 200 again, an then the rules change.