"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Pilot Ricky Rat Pilon Racer

Old 10-19-2019, 12:50 PM
John C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Wink Pilot Ricky Rat Pilon Racer

I've been given the mostly completed kit and a Cox .09 TD/Medallion engine which has been incorporated into the build.

Model has a 885mm wingspan and 14.3 dm^2 wing area. It calls for .049 -.06 power. The plane was designed as a two channel, aileron and elevator.

I'd like comments on finishing build in this configuration vs. modifying to four channel and using a Norvel .074 for power. Alternatively, are there exhaust restrictors available for the Cox? There is plenty of room in the fuselage for four, Hitec HS65 servos to go to four channel. There is a two ounce tank installed that would be a pain to remove so running with the .09 with no way to control it could be a real trick.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:54 PM
Pond Skipper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would buy a Norvel .061 or .074 RC with muffler if it will fit and save the .09 for another project.
The .061 was made to spin more rpm then the .074 you can get speed from it though with the right
size prop such as a APC 4.75x4.75E would then make the .074 a good choice for more thrust and good
top end pitch for speed. As far as rudder goes if you have a nice paved surface to take off on then
add the rudder.

I found the Norvel .061 would do this with a tuned pipe on a small prop the
thrust was a bit low. Airfoil is thinner then the Ricky Rat. Norvel .061 can
do ok with the APC 4.5x4.75E without a pipe.

.061 AME Norvel on a Profi Tuned Pipe Non SPI version with 150 deg exhaust timing APC 4.2x4 2oz of bench running prior to first flight.
In the hand best peak 24.8k / 96F summer day Best level pass 28.6k from down wind. 12oz all up weight 5ch plane with flaps 88sq. in 28in span

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 10-19-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 AM
John C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Norvel .074, last used on my departed Honker Racer. I'll need to modify the beam mounts as the mounting holes are different, but that's the way I'll proceed once my BMJR mini-Contender is finished in a few weeks. I'll also go for four channels as I have a fabric runway some 600 X 50 feet Thanks for the advice.

John C.