Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hitec equipment

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 09:04 PM
mcconnjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec equipment

Got a question for people with more experience than I. I recently acquired the Hitec feather 4 flight pack and when I recieved it, it was A LOT smaller than I had envisioned. It came w/ the feather 4 reciever and 2 HS-55 servos. I was going to put this combo into a TD 049 powered Fury (navy version of the F-86) w/ aileron, elevator, and throttle. Question is, though, is this system too small? I like the concept of saving a ton of weight compared to my (old) Futaba 7 Rx and s-133 servos, but I am worried those little dudes won't be strong enough. Should I put them in the Fury, or save them for a future .020 job. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jim
Old 10-01-2003, 02:11 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Hitec equipment

I think you'll find that the other guys will confirm that the servos are OK for this model.

But you should know that the receiver is a glitch monster. I have one I use in a light and slow parkflyer and it does the odd blip about once or twice a flight when I'm the only one for miles around. I've heard that it's MUCH worse if you try to fly with other sets running on the same field. No ryhme or reason either. Just any other radio operating will cause the Feather to glitch. It didn't bother my parkflyer but in your case I would definetley avoid the low inverted high speed passes if ANY other radio is operating while you're flying. And then there's the range issue. I believe the Feather is pretty much tapped out at around 500 to 600 feet out. So keep your model close.

You may want to keep that one for something a little less quick. If so then the Hitec 555 or Electron6 are supposed to be MUCH better. I've also got a 555 and so far it's worked very well with no glitches at all even with 3 and 4 other models in the air with me. And it's tight enough that running with other sets on the adjacent channel has not been a problem.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:13 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 36" span 2 ch (rud/ele) TD .049 powered with standard equipment (a little compressed but it works ), the receiver is OK weights 1 oz. but I like to change the servos because they weight 1.47 oz. each and to balance the plane I have to put some weight in the nose. I was thinking about HS 81 or HS 55. Which one do you think it´s better ?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:17 AM
sturmvogel

It seems that Hitec is the preferred equipment for small machines-even in the articles in magazines. I'm sure people will think I'm crazy but I've had really great experience with FMA rcvrs and servos. The M5 is very small, is dual conversion, and has the connections on the top of the rcvr, so it's easy to set up in a small airplane. I did just buy a Hitec synthesized computer transmitter and I'm equally impressed with it (in fact the tx is much smarter than the guy that's using it!). I've been in this hobby for a lotta' years and it's just amazing how far the technology has come. Enjoy...
Old 10-01-2003, 12:53 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

mcconnjc:

I can't comment on the "Feather" rx, haven't used one. I have a bunch of Hitec 535 and 555 rx in service, been pleased with them.

Another that has done well for me is the Cirrus MRX-4, but that one has been replaced by the MRX-5. If the '5 is as good as the '4 it will be a good rx for you. And the price is still $25 from Hobby People. Plus xtal.

Bill.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I should have mentioned it the first time around.

Go to any of the parkflyer boards and do a search on "feather" and you'll find all the dope on the limits and shortcomings.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:20 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I fly Hitec radios and RXs. Not a proplem with any of their RXs that I tried. I use dymond D200 servos in my small guys. With 34 oz/in, .6 wt and ball bearings I think the're great. I've been flying these for four years (have over thirty installed) and not any problems. Hitecs are my second choice in small servos.

I like their D60 too, .3 wt, 24 oz/in
Old 10-01-2003, 04:20 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Mike, you are about the only other guy I've seen running the D200 Servos. I also see your post on the Hobby Hangar Mini Sukhoi. Do you think the D200 servos would be OK for it or the Mini Edge/Sukhoi?? I have a bunch of these servos, but were afraid they'd be too big for the Edge.

Another Micro RX I've been using is the Berg 5. It is 5 CH, but uses channel 5 to output channel 6 so you can run flaps-flpareons-spoilerons, etc. Kinda pricey for a micro, about $50 w/ RX Crystal. It's also switchable between positive and negative shift, has horizontal pins, more info Here
Old 10-01-2003, 09:10 PM
mcconnjc

Thanks for all the responses. I think I may scrape together a few dollars and get a Micro 555. I like the concept of the weight and size savings but I don't care for the range and glitch issues. It is allready getting cold here and the building season is quite long so I should have time to get everything in shape. By the way, does 25" span w/ about 200 - 250 sq. inches sound about right for this plane. I t would have a reday to fly weight of about 19 oz, 2 oz of which will be fuel.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:18 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Chuck: I am scratch building three sukhois. One will probably get D60s the others D200s. I take great concern about weight but the target weight of this model is 20-24 oz. The D200s and an electron Rx should make it lighter than that. I think I will start buying the Electrons instead if the 555 because it is lighter, has an extra channel and is also dual conversion.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:33 AM
goldguy

Jim: If your flying from a site where you can be the only one in the air, I would give the Feather a try. I have two of them, as well as single conversion GWS RX's and use a HiTec Eclipse TX with a "rubber ducky" antenna. Never had one glitch ever, using them in both 1/2A glow and small electric models. I have flown them past the 600 to 1000 foot recommended range with others operating their TX's at the same time. I did have one pilot fly his electric in front of me using a GWS RX, about 10 feet from my face and I shot him down, but he deserved it!

Frank
Old 10-04-2003, 09:36 AM
mcconnjc

Thnaks for your info Frank, I feel better about the system. When I first got it I was not sure it would work for .049. Thinking more like .020 but I will try the Fury!