Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Sukhoi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:28 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Sukhoi?

Is anyone flying the mini sukhoi designed by Nick Ziroli? I borrowed the plans and thought I'd make a few. What is your experience?

Kitted by Hobby Hangar but I think I'll scratch it.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:38 AM
littlefly

Default RE: Mini Sukhoi?

Mike:

I have the original Jan '94 MAN issue with the pullout fullsize plan. Was thinking of building it for the original Queen Bee .074 or an AP .09 Hornet, since the long mounting rails needed are factored in!

If you build it, keep us posted with pix and details please. Ziroli Sr. designs are reputed to be quite good flyers. He designs light, so you don't have to put it on a diet.

We're all interested!!

Heard of some putting .15s in them, but it seems like overkill on this nice design.
Later
Old 10-01-2003, 03:10 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I built the Mini Edge, and have the Mini Sukhoi..both the version with clear canopy and wood canopy. The mini Edge was a well designed kit, but the parts didn't match the plans very well. Didn't matter, just had to watch my step and make sure the parts fit the plane instead of the plan .

If you're scratch building the Sukhoi, you shouldn't have to worry about the kit shortcomings if the Sukhoi even has the ones the Edge had.

I'm going with an OS 10...it's what I had. The .10 might be better in the larger Sukhoi than the Mini Edge, but I was not very savvy about small planes when I put this package together.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:47 PM
cropdusterdave

I have the plans sitting in my workshop. I'm going to build it into a profile and maybe increase the wing area a snitch. I'm also using an O.S. 10 FP that I've had sitting around forever. There was a longer thread about the Ziroli sukhoi that I started a couple months ago. There were a couple people who had them and liked 'em. Might have been deleted when RCU went to the new format however. The O.S. is a little heavier than I'd like...but shouldn't be too bad (compared to the 15's used in others) I always keep my planes as absolutely light as possible. I'm almost obsessive about it. I've just found out how much better ANY plane (and especially small ones) flies better with a few ounces shaved. If it's not essential, I scrap it. Let me know how it goes...
Old 10-04-2003, 05:52 PM
RVman

Hi

I'm interested in getting those sukhoi plans. Do you know if MAN still has that issue and if not where I could find the plans.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:43 PM
littlefly

RVman:

The plans were published in Model Airplane News January 1994. If the backissue is not available, the plans are from their plan order service.
If you build, please keep us posted!!

Thanx
Old 10-05-2003, 08:24 AM
RVman

littlefly,

What is the plan order service and how do you get to it. Is it on their website?? Also I don't get the magazine.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-05-2003, 07:05 PM
RC_Redneck

Hi there, I've built this plan, but what I did was stretched the wing to 37 inches and lengthend the fuse between the wing and the tail section by 2 inches and I'm really glad I did.If I built it again, I would lengthen it 1 more inch, then I think it would hover. I ran a Norvel 15, 81 servos and a 555 receiver . The plane flys good. I have another plane that I built based on House Of Balsa's Extra 300 profile. That Plane fly's awsome. I had built it slightly bigger then the kit , with the same flight gear .
Old 10-05-2003, 08:21 PM
MikeSell

RC_Redneck:
This is a 1/2 A design. If I was going to fly a .15-.19 engine I'd make it larger and stronger too. Hey I bet if I made it enough longer and the span enough wider I could fly it with a .45.
I chose to build these because they are flyable with a .049-.074. I have three cut now and all will be fitted with Norvels, one .049 another .061 and the last with an .074. If that isn't enough power I'll consider them a failure.
Don't get me wrong, I enlarge and reduce plans too. I usually have to do some redesign for longevity when enlarging plans and some simplification when reducing. In my experience changes in proportion and engine size can completely change the character of an airplane.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:41 AM
littlefly

RVman:
The plan # is FSP01941 Mini Sukhoi. $9.00 - Article reprint $4.00 when ordered with plan.
Try www.rcstore.com.
Don't know if this phone # is still good, but 1-800-243-6685
Air Age Mail Service
P.O. Box 280
Wilton, CT 06897-3001

That is all I have.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:41 PM
RC_Redneck

Hey there Super Member Mike, you asked whats your experience with that plane. That was it. There's no need to be an ASS about it.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:01 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one of these neat little planes five or six years ago but never flew it. It's still in my shop waiting for radio gear. Huge surfaces! The design is quite strong once the covering is applied. I have an OS .10FP sitting in it right now. I'm going to the Hobby Visions show this weekend and may come home with some Hitec mini servos . I'll try to get a pic of this little bird online soon.

I still have the plans for this plane and my building skills are much better than they used to be - maybe I'll scratch up another one of these things this Winter.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:59 PM
SST

ORIGINAL: RC_Redneck

Hey there Super Member Mike, you asked whats your experience with that plane. That was it. There's no need to be an ASS about it.
You don't have any experience with it either...You have experience with an altered sorta-like-it that you built.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:51 AM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

I've been there and done that with this design. Keep it light, whatever you do. Tried to run a Queen Bee .074 in it, and it wasn't enough. Put an OS .10 in it, and it was much better, though heavier... With HS-81's and a 270 mah battery, it would fall out if it got too slow, rather suddenly too. But it survived ok. It's a fun little design.... Mine was built from the pullout plans...

phil in austin
Old 10-16-2003, 05:43 PM
MikeSell

After cutting the parts for three out according to plan I started assembling the first. No wonder Hobby Hanger kits had a problem with fit. The plan was drawn crudely and I had to alter several parts fron plan. The formers must be supported in some way to attach the skin as there is no skeleton. Not a build for beginners.
The fuse came out very rigid and very light. I think I have a teardrop canopy from sig that will work if turned backwards and trimmed. I decided that I will use a plastic cowl and stop the balsa skin at the firewall. After I complete the first one I will make a skin pattern which will make the next two easier.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:34 AM
MikeSell

After talking with several people who already built this plane I'm told a Norvel .074 will be the smallest engine usable. The first one I built is with the lightest wood. Looks good but it is cooold and snowy here. I'll wait til better weather.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 PM
RVman

I bought the plans from rcstore.com and scratch built it. The plans were accurate and all the pieces fit together right. I used a Norvel 074 and it has enough power to get unlimited verticle. I'm quite pleased how well it flies and how it slows down so fast at idle because of the big front. The sukhoi was also tough to get into a stall and it handled really good at those speeds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77451.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	99602  
Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a pop up ad on here about the Wattage Sukhoi thats on sale for $39.99, not sure if its the same one that came with the marginal electric motor or not....Rog
Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

i just scratch built one of these to be an electric plane. i will use a brushless outrunner and lithium batteries. This should be a fun bird to fly. It is a rather difficult kit for the novice builder. The ribs are all messed up. The TE does not match up at all. had to fix 3 of the ribs to get the TE straight with a little washout. I wonder how well the short kit builds?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Julian537

I talked to hobby hangar today about their short kit. They told me that it was all laser cut. They also offer glass cowls and the canopy with the kit. He said that it was a little bit improved over the original ziroli plans.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:34 PM
MikeSell

"I just talked to my local hobby shop and he said his is the best hobby shop" General experience with kits from Hobby Hangar even laser cut ones has been questionable. Adrian Page pulled his kits from thir lineup so he could make them fit together. (I have four of their Gee Bees)
They may have been improved but I would rather hear it from a modeler who tried them himself. I am happy to hear that they have cowls and canopys available.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Julian537

Ok here are some pics of the one I am currently building.

Name:	Ay75276.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	330248  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Julian537

here is a pic of the balsa cowl I made for it.

Name:	Ay74654.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	330253  
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 AM
ctyankee

Wow, that looks great! I still have the set of plans as well and was thinking about building it with an outrunner in it.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Julian537

I just weighed the airframe and it came in at 4.1 ounces. From my experience with electrics the AUW should come in around 15.5 ounces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.