Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the Papillion?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Anyone know the Papillion?

Old 10-01-2003, 06:16 PM
batjac
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know the Papillion?

My first R/C plane was a plane called a Papillion. It was an .049 kit that I ordered when I was 17 (23 years ago), and had no clue how to fly it....

The instructions were in Japanese, or Taiwanese, or something, with minimal English. The only way it ever balanced out and flew, was after I'd crashed it about 10 times, and all the glue and thread I'd used to hold it together must have brought the CG into place for the one successful flight I ever had.

I've been looking for the last few years for a kit or the plans for the Papillion, as I'd like to build one now that I know how (62 models and counting).

Can anyone help me?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:06 PM
fritzke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone know the Papillion?

batjac,
I have a set of Papillon plans, beat to hell, but still workable.
The Papillon was mfg. by Kyosho, sold by Hobby Lobby, designed as
a 1/2a motor glider. A rather pleasant flying plane really (I have scratch built
2 of them, and I just 2 weeks ago threw away the bashed up fuselage of #2..)
My old flying pal Tom bought the kit originally from HL. It came with a large
heat-shrink "sock" to cover the wing, which was a rather novel feature.
I can send you a copy, send me your address via PM if you like or at:
dfritzke at pclink dot com.
Tom eventually cut down the wings on his, added ailerons and re-named it the "Pap-ette". First flight of that went into the electric lines along CO. Rd. "F" in WI. Owch.
Now, who remembes the "Berballa 2000"?
Dave
Old 10-02-2003, 03:46 PM
batjac

Yes! I remember that heat shrink sock. As a kid, I had no idea how it was supposed to be adhered to the wing, so I slipped it on and used a hair dryer to shrink it. Shrink it did! The two outboard bays of the wing were uncovered when the sock shrank up too much. I ended up using strapping tape to cover the two outboard bays...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:35 PM
fritzke

Batjac,
You had to shrink JUST the tips, glue the covering to the outboard ribs, then shrink the rest.
So, you want a copy of the plans or what??
Dave
PS I saw one of these go through E-bay once (Easytiger I think).
I think it would be great for a speed 400 direct drive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86761.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	65154  
Old 10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

This was my first RC plane, too! I had a ball with it and taught myself to fly in it. I remember getting it in a thermal one day and staying up for over an hour. I was too stupid to think about batteries.

I had the same trouble with the sock shrink, too. I think I remember covering the tips with silkspan and dope. Painted the fuse..
Old 10-02-2003, 08:34 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

The Papillon was my 1st plane also. I built several of them over the years. I still have a set of ribs I cut out some years ago, but no plans.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:28 AM
fritzke

That is pretty amazing considering that plane was sold for 2-3 years at the most.
I still have the wing from Papillon #2, perhaps it's time to make a new fuselage and stick in a Norvell .049...
La Cerne, send me your address, I'll send you a set of full size plans.
Dave
Old 10-03-2003, 03:36 PM
batjac

Wow!

For years I haven't found anyone who ever heard of the Papillion, and now I'm finding others who cut their teeth on it like I did!

Just for info, I'm going to build 3. One as it was designed with a Cox 049. One as an electric. And one built with Ambroid glue, strapping tape on the wings, and anything else I can remeber about how I built that first one, just to see if it could fly as I built it when I was a kid...

Mark
Old 10-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Now this is funny.
I just happened on to this thread. I bought two of the kit's when Hobby Lobby was selling them. Gave one to a friend to build for his first RC project.
He learned to fly on that "easy flyin" 1/2 A ship!

Have a funny story to relate about that.
We were out one day flying both of our Papillions, I had already launched mine and was up circling around while he got his started and launched.
Out of the corner of my eye, I notice that he is doing these slow, flat 360's VERY near the ground...not bad for a guy who has just learned to fly!
All of a sudden, I see all of these people(we are at a private full-scale grass strip, some of our flying buddies are out with us)running down the runway...remember, I am STILL flying my ship.
I see the other Papillion climbing out slowly, and heading away from the airstrip, with all these folks running behind, including my buddie with his transmitter.

Come to find out, he launched WITHOUT turning his receiver on!!
His Papillion ended up flying until the fuel ran out, and free flighted all the way to a tree top about 5 miles away!
My buddy followed it the last mile or so in his cessna 150, watched it land in the tree, and went back to retrieve it later.
Papillion never got damaged at all, and flew many times after that.
VERY stable airplane!!

Pud
Old 10-06-2003, 02:31 PM
ronrange
My Feedback: (20)

I have NIB kit and if you would like I can get a copy of the plans at Kinkos. They are yours for cost plus shipping plus 2 dollars for handling. (about 6 total.)
Old 06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
KAREL NOVAK

Hello, 24 years ago I made this glider (see photo belowed) I´m still looking for some information about
this model.
I have no idea what is this glider called, where is coming from, who made it, and where can I get it
(kit or construction plane), somebody can help me.
I will be greatefull for some information, thank you, and geetings to all the planes fans

ALEJANDRO (KAREL NOVAK) from BARCELONA

Old 06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

I built one from plans this spring, and made it electric. It's lots of fun. I 've got parts for another for a CS 061, but haven't started it yet. Lots of fun though.

[img][/img]

Name:	Bz77911.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	471111  
Old 06-04-2006, 04:18 PM
KAREL NOVAK

Hello "LaCerne", I send you and e-mail asking you for the plans, please can you answer me.
Thank you

ALEJANDRO

Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
rainedave

Dave, could you email the plans to me as well? [email protected] Thanks! BTW, my dad and I are finishing up a Jr. Skylark - plans from your site - we enlarged to 42" for his Cox TD .09 R/C. We broke the rules and added ailerons and halved the dihedral. Also did solid carved tips on wing & stab:

Name:	Om31800.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	471981  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
fritzke

OK Boys, that's what it's all about!
I'll send the tiled PDF file Gene helped me make.
I did the basic CAD, he cleaned it up and made the
tiled pdf plans.
Nice job on the electric version, I always wanted
to try tht with a Speed 400.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
fritzke

Just adding a link to my Papillon plans if anyone dredges up this thread:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/papillon.pdf
Whomp, there it is!
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Beeza

I built a Papillion from Hobby Lobby as well. My flying skills have never been too much, so this design was right up my alley. Cox reed .049. One late afternoon is was so cold we had to start the engines IN THE CAR. I remember turning the plane around and flying it about 8 ft off the ground, very level, right at me and over my head so I could watch up close how much the rudder affected pivioting the plane.

I don't recommend this for safety reasons, but it was cool.

Since then I have built 3 or 4 planes, still from the same plans. One had a cardboard wing.

Beeza
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 AM
digital_trucker

I had one too, bought it already built at a swap meet. The tail balsa appeared to some sort of cork mutation, so I gave it a transplant using the tailfeathers from a wrecked Mini-Mousetang. That Papillon flew incredibly well with a Black Widow hanging off the nose.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:11 AM
WINANS

This was one of my first sucessful r/c plane as well. I remember thinking that with my full size gear (everything was full size then) and 500 mAh battery, and a Golden Bee, that it would be 'low and slow". Hmm, I was wrong. Nice flyer. I spent most of that first flight trying to keep up with it. I too remember that darn heat-shrink sock - had the same problem as everyone else. As a newbie, the idea of nothing adhering it to the wing didn't sink in until the damage (heating and shrinking) was done.

Prior to then, my only success was with a Goldberg Ranger 42, and an OS .10 with that same radio gear (a 4-ch Cirrus).

Nice memories. Scott
Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 AM
digital_trucker

Ayup, it can labeled a 'powered glider' all day long, but it sure don't fly like one!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

I was rummaging through some kits piled up in the spare room, and came upon a small sealed plain cardboard box I didn't recognize with Hobby Lobby tape on it...

It was a Papillion kit - not something to get my heart started, but interesting just the same. It looks like a practical easy building and easy flying trainer. No, I don't think it would soar very well, but it should have similar slow flying characteristics like a powered glider that you would want in a trainer. As a commercial product though, you would have thought they would have added a landing gear and canopy to give it some market appeal. It's just as well that they didn't.

The Hobby Lobby product I have did not come with covering socks, and the one page instruction sheet stated that covering material was required.

Simple and easy to build for sure, but I think I'd rather have a Goldberg Jr. Falcon...

Arlen
Old 05-20-2007, 06:33 PM
lildiesel

Search and you will find.

I was thinking about the Papillon as a first R/C for my son later in the summer. Now that I've seen this thread I'm sure about it. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone and want trike gear, a canopy, and a T tail, and a PAW .09 in the nose. Of course, that one will be mine while he'll get an copy of the original with 2 ch and a late sixties Webra Piccolo.

Thanks for your plan, Dave!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

And this is why we don't close old threads...

LD, I sure hope you're joking about adding all that furniture and the bigger engine to haul it around. To me the whole point of a simple and larger model like this is to take advantage of the extra wing area to help slow things down and reduce any impact damage. If you add on all that stuff it'll more likely cause what you're trying to prevent.

But then I'm an incurable free flight sort of guy that likes to see things that fly slow.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that post as two models being built. The one with all the bells and whistles and the .09 will be for experianced dad and the "plain jane" for son.

I am thinking that they should both be built the same, side by side with one not being any better than the other. This done at the same time going in steps and in stages That way no one gets left behind in the dust and helps to keep interest steady. A together thing. A father, son thing.
The exception would for son to pick the colors and how it should be decorated. To suit his tastes entirely/

But that's just me being all structured and all...

Robert
Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You're right, it's two models. But I still think it would be a coplete aleration of how the model flies. Should be a good comparison though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.