Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Converting C/L Profile to R/C?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Converting C/L Profile to R/C?

Old 10-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting C/L Profile to R/C?

I picked up a Sig Akromaster C/L at the hobby shop today. It calls for a .15-.19 but looks perfect for a .061 r/c project. It has 34 inch span and 250 sq. inches of wing area. The fuse is 18 in. long.
My question is... Where do you place the battery pack? I noticed on the electric r/c profile planes they just strap the battery on the bottom near the front and the radio receiver on the side of the plane. I was thinking maybe making a box to hold the battery pack and receiver on the bottom of the wing. It is a mid-wing so that may not work. The wing is aprox. 1 1/4 inch. thick. Also, do I need two servos for aileron? or can I use one and mount it on one side of the wing?
Any ideas? thanks, Lynn S
Old 10-01-2003, 08:56 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Converting C/L Profile to R/C?

Lynn:

My first thought is "Forget it."

But then on reflection, it might make a pretty good RC plane with some mods.

First, that short LOA was to make it turn on a dime. You might think you'd like that but you wont. Stretch it to at least 24", better about 30" length.

Second, the engine has to drag the plane through the air, and I think that 1 1/4" wing thickness will be too much for an 0.061, maybe too much for an 0.074 also. Probably need an 0.09 as a minimum. A high wing, with a flat bottom airfoil, a real slow flier, the 0.061 could drag that thick wing. I just don't think you'd like the 0.061 on this one.

And with that fat wing there's no reason you could not put the battery and rx inside it.

If you go with full span ailerons you can use either one or two servos, your choice. And remember, one servo weighs half as much as two.

You do have another option: build it as a U-control plane. They can be enjoyable too.

Bill.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting C/L Profile to R/C?

Bill,
The wing is pretty thick but the wing on my Giles is 7/8 inch, but I guess C/L planes have power to spare and can pull the thick wing and the lines. I thought it would need a longer fuse. I looked at the P51 profile that Tower sells and they have the whole instruction manual online that you can download and print out. The receiver and battery pack go in the wing. I guess I was thinking the battery wouldn't fit.
Thanks for your input, Lynn