Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox R/C Aircraft Collection

Old 12-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Gofli
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cox R/C Aircraft Collection

Well,

I was wrong, I asked for the tracking # and it does indicate that the package was damaged, just as he said. The turnaround for UPS there must be amazing. I may try to buy it damaged and fix it, we're discussing it.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:45 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have heard others and experienced myself the destruction that UPS can do. I ship anything that USPS will take priority mail and have never had a problem and the delivery is almost always cheaper and always faster than UPS.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 AM
S. Christensen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Tony,
Wow! This thread brought back a flood of memories! My first commercial job in the hobby industry was with Cox/Airtronics back in 1978. I was hired by Lee Renaud as a design engineer and one of my first assignments was the design of the Piper Turbo Arrow III. I remember clearly designing the model and building the prototype. Lee and myself went out to Mile Square to conduct the test flights and these were successful from flight one, with no need for any changes. During our test flying session, we noticed a fella sitting in the bleacher seats, taking photos. This guy was none other than Carl Goldberg. The Piper Turbo Arrow III presented some real manufacturing challanges for Cox but these were overcome and the model sold well. If you find one of these kits, you will see a photo of myself holding the model on the side of the box. This same photo was used in the 1979 Cox catalog. Later, the same basic airframe was used, with graphics changes, to create the follow-on product, the Piper Archer.

Interestingly, my prototype Piper Turbo Arrow III was used for all of the box art, advertising and press release photos that were required for this product. This was a bit intimidating because this was also the same model that we had to use for flight testing purposes.

In those days we had a group of pretty good pilots at Cox and these guys - myself included - made up the "Cox Demonstration Team". The company had special shirts made up for us and I still have mine to this very day. We performed at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and at the relatively new "Big A" stadium in Anaheim. We flew and demonstrated the Cox R/C aircraft products, including the Piper Turbo Arrow III. What a thrill for a fairly young designer!

I went on to design some additional products for the Cox/Airtronics company, including the Warlock 40 and the smaller sistership, the Warlock 05. The Warlocks were kits and sold under the Airtronics name. These were very successful products for Airtronics and I remain proud of them to this day. I still believe that the Warlock 05 would make a very viable product today, especially considering the lightweight radio systems available now. Working at Cox/Airtronics in those days was a dream come true for me and let me work with folks like Lee Renaud, Bill Seltzer, Roger Theobald, Dale Kirn, etc. All of these guys were already legends and working with them was a huge bonus for me.

Sorry to ramble on but your thread brought back so many good memories and I thought you might enjoy hearing at least a little bit of the story.
Scott Christensen
Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Has anyone besides me flown both versions of the Sportavia?

The kit that came with US N numbers was .049 powered, the one with German markings was electric. Big ole can motor and a 3-C size nicad power pack.

I still have a gas one that can be made flyable.

Tom OKC
I flew both...climb on electric power was, how shall we say, stately, at best...but it did indeed fly.

I have a Fairchild 24 and a Canario nowadays, somewhere around here...

Scott Christensen, you were a legend yourself to a kid like me, back then...for real.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same here, that Piper Archer is one that I have been chasing for a long time. They hardly ever show up on Ebay. And if I do find one I will most certainly have to wait till I find a second one to actually fly.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:28 PM
troy55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this series of messages is from a while back, but I just purchased a Cox Turbo Arrow and googled this and found these posts. I just wanted to say I'm a huge cox fan, first plane was a Sportavia when I was about 10 years old. Then I got a Centurion. Love these planes and wish they would make them again. I found a Sportavia a couple of years ago on Ebay still in the box. It is hanging in my workshop. Can't wait to add the Arrow to this. Any other cox fans feel free to email me troyharris55@hotmail.com

Later,
Troy
Old 06-27-2006, 12:15 AM
lukesp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man, what an interesting thread. It makes me wish I had bought that Cox Ez Bee I drooled over years ago. Everyone around me said they were crap so I didn't bother.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 AM
KA6IPK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It seems we always return to our first Love, and in the case of airplanes for me it's a Cox Sportavia. No matter how much more accomplished a modeler or flyer I've become, these old birds bring back an excitement and recollection of the hobby when I was just starting out, and the days long ago when the maiden flight of a new plane might or might not result in the plane coming home in one piece especially in the hands of a beginner flyer.

Today, I delve into Electric Ducted fan jets, electric helicopters, and an assortment of sailplanes and .15 to .40 size gas planes, but it still brings a special smile to my face to fly an old classic Cox plane. I know the planes were made of injected foam, but I think the old Cox planes had heart in them. What is it they say, "they don't build them like they use to".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87835.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	498030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55330.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	498031  
Old 07-28-2006, 02:59 AM
KA6IPK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few more pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65299.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	498032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54999.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	498033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70824.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	498034  
Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 PM
brown-robin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just came across this forum and brought back a lot of memories of my first COX experience. I had just turned 7 years old or so in the late 1970's when my father had bought me a PT-19 control line trainer for my birthday. I think we flew it a few times and then I ended up keeping it on my shelf as a toy.

I also remember those lazy summer Saturday afternoon's when my father and I would go to the hardware store to run errands. For some reason, I remember him buying me a Testors control line Spitfire at the toystore. These Testors kits came in the square box and included the floppy disk like record that you would play and would provide you instructions on safety. Remember those?

For the past few years, I have been obsessed with collecting vintage COX airplanes, the one's that I remember growing up with in the late 1970's to mid 1980's. I collect the kits but don't put them together - keep them mint, unassembled condition. My collection has come mainly from eBay.

Right now, I am the proud owner of (3) American Eagle's, (2) Eagle II's, (2) Hawk electric powered - vintage, (1) EZ-Bee, (4) Cessna Centurion fuselage kits, (1) Sportavia - gas powered version, (1) Sportavia - electric powered version, (1) Typhoon, and (1) Scorpion.

Am still searching for a Piper Arrow.

Again, this site brings back many memories when I was growing up. I really wish COX could sell these kits again.

Regards,
Mike
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM
lukesp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You don't collect the Cox CL models ? That is a big thing now, depending on type.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
brown-robin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No - I don't really collect the plastic CL models. Mainly focus on the COX foam R/C models. The larger R/C foam models is what I really remember seeing being flown in parks and I think are much harder to come by in mint, unassembled condition.

The only CL model that I would love to own "mint in box", unsassembled condition would be the pink Super Sport. I am guessing that MIB condition is very rare for this model and hard to find. Have never come across one on eBay that is MIB, but continue to keep my eye's open.

Mike
Old 08-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Tony A.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I've been away for a while. The Air Force and my family have kept me pretty busy. It's been exactly a year since the last visit to this thread which I posted almost three years ago. Hard to believe! Last night, I spent time reading all of the replies and I'm just blown away by the deep personal Cox stories. This thread has taken on a life of it's own and I'm just tickled to know that many of us share a common passion. Several of the stories have a very similar theme of moving on to bigger, fast and even cleaner R/C models yet nothing can take the place those early days flying Cox aircraft. The great thing is that several stories even touched on Cox C/L models which is fantastic.

I want to thank the guys who worked at Cox and designed some of these R/C models that taught so many of us how to fly an R/C aircraft. I had no prior experience when I repaired my best friends Cox Cessna Centurion and took it out to an open field 20 years ago for my first flight. The landing gear was removed to reduce drag and weight. My buddy hand launched it and the rest is history. Now it may sound like I was a natural and maybe so but here's the rest of the story.

After my buddy threw the model and I got the airplane flying straight and level with a mild climb, I began a gentle left turn and flew the airplane off my right shoulder so that I would not push the stick in the wrong direction and screw up. I felt like I was flying a C/L model but much higher. After the engine ran out of fuel, approximately 4 minutes and 30 seconds later, I was now committed to land the craft, in a gentle left turn, while I was walking around in a circle with the Cessna Centurion off my right shoulder. I lined up on final, over shot the grass landing strip due to the Centurion having a much better glide rate than I expected without the landing gear and then set in down in a 7 foot high corn field.

My buddy and I yelled with excitement, "We did it" but the hard part was still to come. If you have ever walked thru a corn field it can be painful and intimidating when you're, at that time, 5 feet tall and trying to find a Cox Cessna Centurion more than 30 yards into the corn and several feet above you. After five minutes, I stop in frustration because I knew I was close. Then... just above me and one row over I spotted something white on top of the corn. I had found it, laying flat on top of the corn. Now your thinking..success, right? Wrong! I was now confronted with how I was get it down without damaging the corn and the STYROFOAM Cessna Centurion. My buddy moved the corn to one side and in one quick jump, I grabbed the plane, rotated the left wing down and landed successfully. Looking back.......I wouldn't trade that day for anything! Thank you Dion Garber (my friend) and thank you Cox!

To all of you who have and still share your stories with these wonderful Cox models....Thank you!

Keep the stories coming!

All the best,
Tony Accurso
Edwards AFB, CA
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
skycopter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking for a cox Sky Rally Ultralight or crashed ones . Let me know if anyone has one
thanks.. tom
Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 AM
small_rcer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was amazed to find this old thread re-awakened. Just last nite I was pulling out the Cox/Sanwa 2 channel receiver from a Cox foam Cessna R/C. Put in two "new" COX servos with the wires in the plug re-arranged to suit the Polk Seeker II 8 channel Rx. Was repairing the elevator hinges the nite before. Using a new AAA battery pack. Used the 8 channel Rx to try to keep the balance. The cowl is in pieces and has not been flown on the plane in years. Last flew this about 3 years ago, with the original radio. No landing gear on the plane, but are around here somewhere. Was trike with the nose gear mounted on the plastic "firewall"

Bought the plane with radio, spare wing, and motor about 25 years ago at an estate sale for $15.00. Flew it for hours at a time in the early 90s. Fuselage has much new foam in the nose!! Yeah I smacked it around alot. Will be flying it again this week-end after years of it being on the shelf. Replaced the push rods and links because the plastic was iffy. Just need to clean and reset the 049. It is a natural finish black widow sized tank, with natural finish on rest of engine as well, and has the muffler / exhaust ring. Using a 5x3 with the original red rubber spinner!

Looking forward to flying it again..

Jim H
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
picman[p-51]

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i need a piper turbo arrow 3 does anyone know where to get one
Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tend to like the old C/L cox models better myself. I believe it's because I remember seeing so many of them in parks and at a local school yard in the late '60s and early '70s. I had a P-40 Warhawk and a PT-19 trainer. I attempted to fly the PT-19, and it nosed in a couple times because it was hand-launched facing down and I couldn't give enough up elevator in time. The P-40 got damaged when I fell down some steps and broke the landing gear. My parents never supported me in that hobby. Later, I started building model rockets and got into fireworks. So much for model planes.

I would visit parks later, always hoping to see a C/L plane flying but would never get my wish. I think model planes were banned in most places because of noise before 1980. One day, I happened by a local flying field during a county fair and saw R/C planes for the first time. They weren't the same as control-line, but they were models none the less. They all had bigger glow powered engines, and a few 4-strokes (this was back in '79). Since I didn't have money or a job, I could never afford one nor did I have time to build. I did manage to purchase another PT-19 back in '87, and took it to an R/C flying field that had a C/L area and flew it successfully. It was nice proving to myself that I could do it, and that I was right about the incident that took place on my first C/L flight. I then purchased a Goldberg Eagle II kit and a K&B .40 sized engine, hoping to get an R/C plane up to fly in the club. Sadly, that model and its engine got sold after completion, but before any covering due to financial problems. A few years later, I build a Sig Buster with a .15 engine, again it was a C/L model. I put over $100.00 into that model, but it flew so nicely that it got me addicted to flying by wire. Who could beat a motorized stunt kite with that great smell of glow fuel? It was a blast, but unfortunately I couldn't afford the AMA, maintenance on the model, car payments, insurance, and rent at the same time. One of them had to go, and the car stayed.

I would visit a local hobby shop often when I needed more high-powered rocketry supplies. I very much admired the Cox planes, both their R/C and C/L offerings. But I could never get up the necessary finances to start a collection, as model planes were more expensive relative to income back then than today. The big R/C kits never interested me much, they were just too big and costly. The Cox models with their .049 engines were just right, in my opinion, and I wanted to see more of the old C/L offerings. Of course, Estes decided that foam was better and started going electric R/C or free-flight. That was a big turnoff, and I lost interest in Cox/Estes and going to the local hobby shop. It was boring.

The Cox models, both R/C and plastic C/L are quite obviously collector's items. And if they were in mint condition, I would be reluctant to assemble or fly one. I would have a few if I could have afforded them back then, but I had creditors and priorities and limited funds. The best investments to make would have been the AT-6 Texan and Corsair back when Toys-R-Us had them in stock. Their value seems to be going up exponentially. Also, I would have bought the gold Pitts when it was available. They were like buying stocks back then, which I couldn't afford either. Thankfully, Hobbico and Hangar-9 have offerings that are within my budget, without being the boring electric park flyers that line the local shelves. I chose the Nexstar and got my solo certificate at the end of last month.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-19-2006, 11:06 PM
subarubrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am headed to a nice local fly in this weekend and I am taking my trusty Cox 182 with the full up controls including flaps and brakes. Since this thread has woken up maybe I can snag a few pics and videos of just how great these things are with the magic of modern technology.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: subarubrat

I am headed to a nice local fly in this weekend and I am taking my trusty Cox 182 with the full up controls including flaps and brakes. Since this thread has woken up maybe I can snag a few pics and videos of just how great these things are with the magic of modern technology.
Maybe if there is enough interest, perhaps Cox could be coaxed into making another 1/2A glow-powered ARF. One plane I liked a lot was the Katydid. It was all balsa construction with monokote, a 3 channel. Nice, light weight, and with a Golden Bee engine to boot. Or was it a Tee Dee? I would rather have it than that giant .46 machine that takes up most of my van any day. Why can't the companies get it through their thick heads that not everybody who likes smaller models (REASONABLY sized, in other words) want to bother with LiPo batteries and ESCs?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
subarubrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cox just isn't going to do it, they have made that clear. They sold off their old product line and are now splashing the cox label on all sorts of chinese made arfs, a few already being sold under other names. They are never going to re make their classics like Tamiya does, they just aren't that smart. Now, since the best of the cox arfs were made by Kyosho, they might be talked into releasing them as electrics which we could convert to glow, although I can't imagine the dozen requests we could generate pushing them to do that.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

Maybe if there is enough interest, perhaps Cox could be coaxed into making another 1/2A glow-powered ARF. One plane I liked a lot was the Katydid. It was all balsa construction with monokote, a 3 channel. Nice, light weight, and with a Golden Bee engine to boot. Or was it a Tee Dee? I would rather have it than that giant .46 machine that takes up most of my van any day. Why can't the companies get it through their thick heads that not everybody who likes smaller models (REASONABLY sized, in other words) want to bother with LiPo batteries and ESCs?

NorfolkSouthern
The Katydid and Scorpion balsa jobs were made by Hacker of the Czech Republic. They are still in business. Last I looked, the models were still available. They were sold by Hobby Lobby and Norvel, also, at one point or another.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cox just isn't going to do it, they have made that clear. They sold off their old product line and are now splashing the cox label on all sorts of chinese made arfs, a few already being sold under other names. They are never going to re make their classics like Tamiya does, they just aren't that smart. Now, since the best of the cox arfs were made by Kyosho, they might be talked into releasing them as electrics which we could convert to glow, although I can't imagine the dozen requests we could generate pushing them to do that.
They have been splashing their names on foreign imports for some thirty years!
You said it...the best Cox arfs were all actually made by Kyosho.
As I have been told, the problem is that tooling for foam models wears out after 10,000 shots or so, then needs to be overhauled at a major expense, which is why you don't see many re-issues of classic foamies. That's what I've heard.
Tamiya, well...the tooling for injection molded stuff does NOT wear out...the market for cars is INFINITELY bigger, and Tamiya is an infinitely more successful and profitable company that Cox, and the base price they get for their product is higher, too. I hate to say it, but a re-issued Cox Sportavia for nostalgia purposes would go over like a lead balloon, is my guess.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PS they DID try the classic reissue thing with the golden Pitts, remember? Did not work so well for them. They did not really sell.
The market for collectable gas toys is very small. It's there, but small.
The tooling for the plastic CL planes must still exist, doubt cox just tossed it....
Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Big Al-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER
<snip>
The tooling for the plastic CL planes must still exist, doubt cox just tossed it....
ET, I hope you are right, but wouldn't bet on it. Once the front office puts in all the numbers, i.e., how much does it cost for storage of the tooling as opposed to what we can get for scrap, the answer is obivious. They only see today's bottom line. As an aerospace retiree, I have witnessed the same thing happen to millions of dollars worth of tooling, spare parts, rocket engines and yes, even entire Apollo Launch vehicles.
al
Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 AM
subarubrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same thing here Al, I have seen national treasures from the space program get treated like cans set out for recycling, probably melted down to build a statue to some degenerate who diverted our space program funds into some social welfare program to perpetuate our undesirables. I could rant for hours, but I am actually headed out the door to go fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.