Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox R/C Aircraft Collection

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox R/C Aircraft Collection

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:59 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cox R/C Aircraft Collection

ORIGINAL: Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER
<snip>
The tooling for the plastic CL planes must still exist, doubt cox just tossed it....
ET, I hope you are right, but wouldn't bet on it. Once the front office puts in all the numbers, i.e., how much does it cost for storage of the tooling as opposed to what we can get for scrap, the answer is obivious. They only see today's bottom line. As an aerospace retiree, I have witnessed the same thing happen to millions of dollars worth of tooling, spare parts, rocket engines and yes, even entire Apollo Launch vehicles.
al
Very unlikely they were tossed. Ever notice how many plastic models from the fifties and sixties get reissued? The tooling changes hands, everybody knows is has value, and it does not take up a lot of room. Doubt cox tossed it. But who knows? The thing is...there is enough Cox plastic planes out there to satisfy the market for a long, long time. Did they stop making ALL the plastic planes? I don't think so, I saw recent ones in the hobby store the other day, like the PT19.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:00 AM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great thread!

Unfortunately, many of the original molds have been scrapped. A good friend and fellow c/l collector has visited Cox personally to inquire about re-issue, or purchasing the molds outright. He has been told they no longer exist because of heavy damage to them. Seems they were stored carelessly, and water got to them. Sad.

John
Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats a good excuse. In full size aircraft the jigs are destroyed because if you keep em around you have to pay taxes on them. Thank you Govnment.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flew the 182 about a half dozen times today, what a great flight range, everything from floating around with the electrics with the flaps down and engine idleing up to whipping around with some of the faster planes. I should have video in a few days from a friends DV camera.

Flew some of my big stuff too, 1/4 Fokker with a Honda 4 stroke.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 AM
damroadhog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a brand new never out of the box EZ BEE II .049 .
I would like to see this end up in good hands .
[email protected]
Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 PM
MarsAttacks

I love the pic of your cox collection, espeacially the SkyRallly. I have been looking for a pic of the very first rc airplane i ever owned. All I remembered was it was an ultralight with red and black wings, and a Cox engine. My parents bought it for me when I was 10 years old. Rescently your pic was the answer to all of my questions. Thank you for that.
I'm 32 now and looking to replace the memory with the real thing. If anyone is looking to sell a cox skyrally ultralight, let me know. Thanks for the pic. One question: Mine had a foam man that was seated in the ultralight, i remember painting it, did that come standered with all the SkyRally's? I couldn't tell if yours had a pilot.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM
LukeZ

Mars, I just saw a brand-new-in-box Sky Rally for sale on eBay a few weeks ago. And yes, it included the white foam pilot. Can't remember how much it went for, but wasn't cheap. Probably around $200 or so. But might still be a good price for the value of nostalgia.

Anyways, eBay has a nifty feature where you can set up alerts, that way you don't have to go searching every day. Just type in your search terms (Cox Sky Rally or whatever), and it will automatically send you an email when any item meets the criteria.

I found a Cox Skylane new in box a few months ago this way, and was fortunate enough to be the winning bidder. It still had the shrink-wrap on it and everything. Opening that box brought me back to every single detail of the day when I opened one just like it more than 15 years ago as a kid. Priceless! I have a brushless motor I'm going to put in it and I'm expecting it to be a marvelous flyer.

Best of luck,

Luke
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

I still have my first RC plane, the COX Cessna 182, in my hobby room although its quite beat up from lots of crashes and sadly no successful flights. I still remember going to the BX on base as a kid for months looking at that model, reading the box and hoping I could get my dad to buy it!

I have hopes of electrifying it some day just to get a few real flights out of it like I did with my old Thunder Tiger 15 trainer. I probably will pay the 150 bucks or so to get a new one on Ebay and do the flaps thing to it..

It's kinda funny seeing the pic above with the old cessna and a modern radio... man, I still have the massive standard servos that I used in it.

I'm impressed to this day the detail on the plastic coated foam and the durability it offered. First flight was extremely tail heavy because I ignored the BOLD text in the manual saying to balance it - who needs to balance - that shouldn't do anything, right?! Anyway, after 5 or 6 big uncontrollable loops (I still vividly remember wildly waggling the tx sticks to get some kind of control, but no dice. I also remember dad saying "WHOA! Take it easy" thinking it was on purpose!) it plowed into the hard texas dirt just over a hill and out of sight from a 50 foot dive... after the walk of shame I was happy to see that I only cracked the cowl and broke the firewall out.. a little epoxy later and good as new....

ahhh the memories...
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 AM
iglowhead
My Feedback: (192)

Hi Tony,
I collect them too! I think they are great and wanted them when they came out but could not afford them.
I have yet to fly one. Afraid of tearing it up. I have to many other planes that I don't worry about.
I may get one out on a nice calm day and give it a go.
I have the three on the front row and just bought a Turbo Centurion. Another little 020 model. I think you may need to add it to your list of ones missing from your hangar.
I need main gear for my Piper Archer. Can you help?
Don't give up the search! They are still out there and you better find them before I do! LOL
Tom
Old 01-08-2007, 01:28 AM
MarsAttacks

Thanks Luke,
I will go set that up at ebay tonight. Any inspiration is good. I will let you know once I finally purchase my little dream plane. I guess we all are the same when it comes to our memories of RC flight. DId you take any photos of that Skyrally, I wouldn't mind seeing some. In fact, if anybody has any pics of that plane, I would love a good one for my Desk Top. ([email protected])Happy flying friends.
-MarsAttacks
Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
LukeZ

Mars, what do you know - here's a brand new one on sale on eBay right now. Get your credit card warmed up!

Here: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190070046352&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190070046352&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1[/link]

Luke
Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: batjac

Don't forget the EZ Bee... I know a lot of people wrote those off, but I owned three of them and loved them. It'd freak out the other guys at the flying field when I would hand launch one, then turn around and talk to them while the plane just flew off on auto-pilot. I think my best flight time for an EZBee was just over an hour. That big wing really catches the thermals.

Mark
I'll ditto that - I flew one that belonged to my buddy many times, and it flew very, very well. I still have two wings in my workshop and have a built up fuselage and tailfeathers ready for one when I decide to drop in some equipment and fly the darn thing. The wing was pretty nicely done.

MJD
Old 01-11-2007, 02:41 PM
toolknight6

i have a 049 Cessna 182 Skylane with 2ch radio, considering selling, for the right price, over 10 yrs. old...if interested e-mail me at [email protected] and e-mail me that you're interested and i'll send pics of it and tell you more. thank you for your time. toolknight6
Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
MarsAttacks

Thanks again Luke- I happen to of found it a couple days ago- you better believe i got the credit card ready for this. It seems as if two others are excited about it as well.- Keep watch and see if I win- my ebay name is Ilovefuzzy22- Keep an Eye on it so you can see how it goes. That ebay name is actually my wifes account- I'M "fuzzy""....I hope.

Dusty
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM
LukeZ

Yeah, let us know! And if you do get it, I expect a flight report!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM
MarsAttacks

I am currently the high bidder- So I will let everybody know what happens- three days left.
I don't know if I will fligh it right of the bat, or just admire it in my studio for weeks on end. we will see.
-marsattacks
Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
MarsAttacks

I mean "FLY"- I'm stupid.
Brain Fart,
marsattacks
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

$bay #280054025984

Read and weep...
Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 PM
LukeZ

I've posted a thread on the build/electric conversion of my Cox Skylane over on RCGroups. Here's the link: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636780]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636780[/link]

Luke
Old 02-16-2007, 11:37 AM
hannakt

Scott,
though your post is old,
I appreciated your insight into COX / Airtonics
I had the Questor, super questor and Gran E'sprit as well as several others. I used the two channel COX/Sanwa radios
This was when I was in high school in the mid 70's. Those were great years.

I have heard it said that all we do after 40 is to relive our younger years. I know that for me this is so.

I wish someone would again come out with real kits and some of the U/C stuff.
That is what we modelers cut our teeth on. Now it seems that ARF is all there is and the hobby shops are all but non existent.

Cheers from Sunny Florida

P.S. I just e-mailed COX and got a reply back that they are in the process of discontinuing all of their gas engine line(s)
Old 05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Tony A.

Hello Everyone,

Well...our dreams are finally coming true! I recently read in either Model Aviation or Fly R/C magazine that Cox will be re-releasing the R/C Electric Sportavia this summer. Now.....I don't know if this thread influenced this decision by Cox but if you go back through the thread, the Sportavia was mentioned by many of you. I'm very excited and can't wait to get one. Several folks claimed that the molds for these old Cox R/C aircraft were destroyed which may be the case. The photo published in the magazine is the original Sportavia and not externally redesigned in any way. This is the model that we know and love.

I thank all of you for your enthusiasm in sharing your Cox memories and for keeping this thread alive. I truly believe that the R/C industry pays attention to these threads and to all of you.

All the best
Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 AM
troy55

Hey guys, I'm moving to go to graduate school and just listed two of my prized Cox airplanes on Ebay. One gas Sportavia and one Arrow. Today is Sunday 5/13/07.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

PT-19 - Back Right (produced in 1986)

hey is that the rc one? Do you have a bigger picture? I'm currently working on a pt-19 that needed to be repaired cut off a huge melted piece probably cancer. I actually got it with an 0.49. It's rudder and elevator pt-19. Dunno if its a cox. Looks the same. Can you tell me something about it?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Randy W.

I own a Thermal Hawk, Spyder and Ridge Hawk, the latter being a slope glider. One day at the local school yard, I launched the Thermal Hawk with a Cox 1/2 Texaco motor and 7 x 3 prop. Managed to find the ultimate thermal with it. I flew it until my neck hurt, then passed the transmitter to my wife Linda. She flew it until she needed a bathroom break so we handed the TX to Charlie, a friend who came along to watch. Jumped into the car and ran down to the local Ralph's to use the restroom. Got back 20 minutes later and Charlie was still in the thermal, with a big smile on his face! I think the flight lasted over an hour and only ended because we thought the receiver batteries were exhausted! Good flying airplane!

Linda, worked with me at Cox in customer service. She learned to fly on the EZ BEE. One of my favorite stories was when we were both flying Bees. I was not paying much attention to Linda, I was busy looking for lift. She asked me if her Bee was too high. I looked up and saw nothing but blue sky! I layed down in the grass and after what seemed like a very long time caught a glint off the wing sticker. Since the EZ Bee was almost spin proof with the kick up elevator, I could only bring the model down by punching hard left or hard right on the transmitter. The Bee would turn tightly in the selected direction, then flatten out after one circle. Took along time to get it down, it must have been at least 1000 feet high!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

hi love those cox planes i have a few i have a brand new ez bee in box lost the motor mount trying to find one so i can fly it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.