Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

45 inch Telemaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 06:26 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45 inch Telemaster

Has any one seen the new Telemaster from Hobby Lobby looks like a great 049 plane made for electric but should be great on glow
Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 45 inch Telemaster

A 45 inch Telemaster would be right in line with the SAM 1/2A Texaco models. I've done a few of those myself. Around 280 to 300 sq inches, 20 or less oz and they fly up a storm. Use a small prop and a throttle engine and you'd have a great 3 channel sport model.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new little SIG rascal ARF[X(] too they made one for the .061-074 but I'm into spad's right now just to get in some air time,,function before beauty, I figure if I can learn to fly a piece of crap around, I'll have better luck with the nicer planes ie. my whizard was a nice looking plane.........until I flew it and had that spectacular prop point landing, now its a bunch of balsa covered with red monocote half a prop and one wheel..Rog
Old 10-03-2003, 08:43 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the Hobby-Lobby one that is tempting me:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tigercat.htm

A pair of 15 engines should make a rocket ship of it.

Bill.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Harvard

Hi

At a time when everyone is converting glow to electric, some one has to go in reverse. I have the Senior Telemaster and if the JR one is anything like it, it should be a great little plane. I will be ordering one soon and anticipate using one of three engines that are not in use at the moment that should be quite suitable. A Thunder Tiger is my first choice, the .074 is a great little engine. This engine starts and runs like the big ones. It has an excellent idle, starts good and has good transition. This engine is not overly powerful, but who cares, because of its mild manner it is a joy to use. It is just about as quiet as an electric. A G-mark .061, which is a collector’s engine should also be a good match. Another engine that would be interesting is the little PAW diesels. I have a .03, but the .049 to .061 should work well. The PAW diesels will swing a larger prop than a glow motor the same size, are quiet and would be ideal for a park flyer. I may get beat up for this but the Norvels just appear to be more troublesome and don't like to idle down very well. I have a .061 and would trade it for a TT any day. If you can find an old Cox TD with throttle, it may be a good engine as well. If you get a Telemaster and convert to glow let us know how it turns out and what you used to power it.

Happy Flying!

Harvard
Old 10-04-2003, 09:05 PM
littlefly

Hey Bill R:

You aren't trying to make the 'Tigerkitty' jealous are you?
Those two Norvels could take a big bite out of your #@@.
HAW
See their comments in the ad? If it is like you said yours is, that slow landing will be a real duesy!!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:15 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the early 1980's, I took plans for the Telemaster 40, and scled them down 50%. I built two of these "half scale" Telemaster 40's (works out to 36" wingspan) and flew them with a Cox 020 free flight. I still have one hanging up in my house today! I have been tempted to fit some micro RC gear into it, and convert to RC,but I think I would be better off enlarging it a bit and going to 049 power.

The plane is such a simple design, it would be easy to scale your own if you have access to some plans...

AJC
Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Littlefly:

The Tiggerkitty is secure in her position as the "Grande Dame" af my twins. She has welcomed all her younger twin engined sisters, and led them to the light. They have all been very well behaved under her tutelage.

She already has a "Big Sister" F7F, the one waiting for the radials. The Hobby-Lobby plane would be the middle sized one.

If I do get the one from H-L the first modification will be landing gear.

Bill.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
fritzke

They are on sale for $20 for the moment at Hobby Lobby:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster-mini.htm
Hard to find a kit for $20 anymore!
Dave
Old 02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
mylamo

I built the 45 inch Telemaster and added ailerons and flaps the fuse is sheeted and the center section beefed up and the firewall replaced with eighth inch ply. The stab and fin are eighth sheet . It weighs 30 oz. with an MVVS .15 D.It can putt around like my big one or go verticle for a looong time.
Ralph
Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
mclintock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thread listing planes like the mini-tele to convert to 1/2a from electric
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...%2Cglow/tm.htm

note the date- I ordered myself a mini-telemaster way back then, along with a tt.07 to put in there, and all I've done since is talk about stuff.. But at least now I have the box of the engine, and plane next to each other on the same shelf, in the correct room where I will build it. But mostly- my baby son is now going to day school! time!! I get time!!!

I agree the gp-07 would make a good match, as would any thing else.. the telemaster has a rather small fuse cross section for the size of the plane, compared to some others like the Herr Cloud Ranger for example.. so a 6 inch prop would be ok..

Old 02-09-2006, 11:52 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the heads up! I just agreed to be an "intro" pilot for the club. A Mini-telemaster should fit the bill for first-flighters. I say start'em out right!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:29 PM
revier

In Minnesota the wind blow, for the most part, at 15mph. At least during the spring, summer and fall when you can fly here. Which small engine would work best in the smaller tele-master? And can you fly it in this kind of wind with such a small engine?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

For more power for the strong headwinds, use a Norvel .074. I'm building this thing right now and see no reason the .074 wouldn't be a perfect fit for a little more performance.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 AM
jon_beks

I am currently working on converting one of these little beauties to glow. I fully sheeted the fuse and moved the firewall back 1 1/4". I added an extra bay to each wing with two extra ribs I cut to stretch the wings out to 51", and I'm using 1/4x1" ailerons, mated to 3/16/x3/16 spruce TE stock. I also sheeted the 4 center wing bays top and bottom with 1/32 sheet and made a 4.5" dihedral brace from 1/8ply (1" of dihedral). Under the sheeting I also added two extra lengths of longitudinal spars for strength. All this to hang an OS 15la on the nose. If you ask me the weak area in doing this if for sure the wing....I also substituted 1/4" SQ for alot of the fuse joiners, especially near the wings and firewall.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a thread in "Everything Diesel" about putting .09/.10 diesels into that electric Mini Telemaster kit and ARF. Everything you might want to know about a fuelie conversion should be in there. I thought about joining in with one powered by an .09 PAW or my .049 TBR since A sized engines seemed like too much power for me. When I saw the 35" Micro Telemaster I got that kit and started a project to put a PAW .03 in that instead.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6628863/mpage_1/key_mini%2CTelemaster/tm.htm]Mini Telemaster conversions[/link]

ORIGINAL: jetranger-RCU

Has any one seen the new Telemaster from Hobby Lobby looks like a great 049 plane made for electric but should be great on glow
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
mylamo

When I look at my version with the MVVS .15 I
am reminded of Tim Taylor,The tool man.It appears
to be a small Telemaster but it flies like a hemi
powered lawn mower. [>:]
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 AM
jon_beks

What modifications did you make for it to accept a .15 without tearing itself apart?? I'm not strapping a .15 in mine to light the sky on fire, I'm doing it because I have a spare .15 and I wanted an inexpensive airframe to put it on....With the modifications I've made I'm guessing I'll still have a wing loading around 13-14oz's/sq'....
Old 03-17-2009, 03:21 AM
jon_beks

OH - and what size tank did you put in there - a four ounce will fit - but 2 oz seems more realistic.