Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a fuse ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:39 PM
ryanrink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a fuse ideas

i have some semi-symetrical wings off of a estes rocket powered r/c glider that i wrecked. i was looking for some ideas on how to build a simple fuse for a simple aerobatic airplane i could put these wings on. the simpler the fuse construction, the better. i dont know exactly how to scratch build a fuse. the only two aircraft i've scratch built was a float plane that i used a styrofoam float for the fuse and a flying wing that didn't actually fly. any help would be appreciated.

ryan
Old 10-20-2003, 08:50 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/2a fuse ideas

Ryan,
How about a plastic whiffle ball bat?
Norvell 049, 1 oz round tank, coroplast tail...
Radio may have to be installed "in line" though.
Engine, tank, battery, RX , servo, servo
Should be indestructable, $3 at Walgreens.
Daze
Old 10-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Lynn S

Now that's an idea.
If a real wooden crutch can fly, a plastic bat should be no problem.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:40 PM
ryanrink

i was thinking somewhere along the lines of using sheet balsa. how much heavier would a bat be then using balsa? and how would i attach the wing, cut into the bat?
Old 10-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Lynn S

You could just cut out each side and slide the wing through it... and make a mid-wing out of it, and silicone the wing in place. I have one of those fat plastic bats, you would really have plenty of room inside the fat part. (but that would take a large wing)The length would be too long so you could saw off the handle some.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:17 PM
jboy381-RCU

why not make a plain square fuse...like that in the stik planes...simple and easy to build...

john
Old 10-27-2003, 04:59 PM
ryanrink

do you have any pictures of your plane with the bat fuse. does it look good, can you tell its a bat? does the plastic need to be covered, does the fuel effect it? sorry for all my stupid questions.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:37 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Ryan,
Never tried it myself, looks easy enough. I just found 2
yesterday at a thrift shop that are 2' long, 3" diameter and FLAT on one side
(about 2 1/2" wide) which should be a completely unbreakable fuselage.
It weighs 7 1/2 oz unfortunately, but cutting off the "knob" and a hatch should save a LITTLE weight. I have run across lighter weight ones.
BTW, they are yellow, "wood-grained" and a "Little Tykes" logo is molded into the flat part, right where the wings would strap on.
A Hornet .09, 2 oz tank, some Coroplast and a foam wing from a "Foamy" glider shoud get you going!
Dave
PS The only real reason to do this is to see how it would work, and the durability versus built-up construction. I doubt it would be pretty. More of a "combat" type plane.
Building a much more elegant and light-weight balsa fuse would not be too hard, as already mentioned. 2" wide balsa, some tri-stock, your on your way. Or just go "profile", even easier.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:11 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

Thats the ticket. Light, fast, quick to build. Profile that puppy!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 05:19 PM
ryanrink

thanks guys. its amazing i ever built kits. there are so many great ideas floating around here. there are many easy, cheap ways to get flying. we have coroplast pbf and delta wings, wiffle bat fuses, profile fuses. we have it all here. a great source of knowledge, you can learn how to do thigns the right way, or learn the short cuts like i like to do.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:20 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a guy in my club who makes his 1/12th scale combat plane fuselages with a whiffle ball bats. He epoxies on a styrofoam wing saddle and foam saddles for both the vertical and horizontals stabs. The wing and stabs are both flat bottom. Wooden dowels through the bat act as the hold-downs.

Works great. I just feel sorry for all the little leagers who are now without any bats!