Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New vs. Old Pee Wee .020

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New vs. Old Pee Wee .020

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:13 PM
dhansen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vs. Old Pee Wee .020

Hi All.

How do the current production Pee Wee 020s compare to the older LM Cox engines?

Dennis in Maine.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New vs. Old Pee Wee .020

Dennis,

I see that you don't have any response to your question about old vs new Pee Wee's. Well, now you got one - of little value I'm afraid because, I can't help either. I'm not sure I ever bought a new one, but if I did it was a decade or two ago.

In any case, I never had much luck getting them to run the same way twice. Now the TD versions are a different story. I think the TD .010 is the best engine Cox ever made followed by the TD .049 (with a fine-thread needle and run on a pressure bladder). So, given that the .010 and PeeWee produce roughly the same air-moving potential (do I hear some alternate views coming?) - I'd opt for a new .010. For me the price difference would be more than made up for in the reduced frustration in getting consistent runs or even getting it started.

A discalimer: no one has ever accused me of being and engine guru. SO take anything (everything) I say with generous helpings of salt.

My uncles used to take me fishing up in Maine. I loved it.

We have no snow in NC.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:41 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO ALL the current produced Cox engines are no where near the quality and consistancy of the "older" ones (pre mid 70s seem to be the best).

Not saying you can get a decent one but I wouldnt myself shell out for a new one today. Youc an routinely buy a good used one for $15 to $25 US, why spend more?

AJC
Old 10-24-2003, 10:45 PM
dhansen

Raymond and Andrew

I've been running a couple of older Pee Wees for several years now and I've had very little trouble with them. I found three locally and purchased one NOS on ebay all at reasonable prices. It does seem that the average price on ebay has been climbing lately with any NOS engines going for as much or more than a new one from the LHS. If the new engines would run as well as the NOS stuff then I'd just as soon get one locally.

I've heard stories of guys flying SAM Texaco models who would buy five or more of the Cox Texaco engines in hopes of finding a good one. I think that is an indication of what we might expect from the new .020s.

I have a Tee Dee 010 mounted on a scaled down Diamond Demon that I built this summer. It is a free flight, of course, and is too cute to lose so I haven't flown it yet. The engine is new and has never been run.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe we can send some excess cold weather your way this winter Raymond!

Dennis in Maine.