Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP .15 any good?

Old 10-27-2003, 05:25 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP .15 any good?

I'm looking at getting a .15 sizen engine and was wondering if the AP engines .15 yellow jacket is any good?

I want a strong engine, but also want to be able to enclose the muffler, and the AP muffler setup looked like it might work.

Any thoughts or comments?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: AP .15 any good?

The only one I've seen is a good runner, has a low idle and good transition. It is not particularly powerful though.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the .09 Hornet, it's a good little reliable runner. I hear that the .15 is the same case bored out. I thought it was a nice pokey little engine 'til I got a Norvel .074 which out revved it on the break in runs using the same prop (MAS 7x4).
There's no low end mixture adjustment, so the idle gets better after its broken in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43856.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	70479  
Old 10-27-2003, 08:06 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I have two and a friends have a couple. They require a long break-in, just like a norvel does, before they run well. They are much smaller than OS, Magnum, and similar .15s. The muffler completes the compact design but also requires more room between the engine and firewall. My experience doesn't lead me to believe it is much more or less powerful than the average .15. It should be noted that since it is a rear exhaust it could be fitted with a tuned pipe like many pattern planes had.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:59 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like it may work for the application in mind.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Mark Winstanley

I have had two of these and this is my experience. The only plane I had these installed in was a Randy Randolph Chips. The power for this was excellent and competed equally with any other 15 powered Chips so I would say that the AP 15 is as powerful as any other .15.

On the down side, the first engine was returned as the backplate did not stop the con rod backing off the crank pin and wearing prematurely due to the decreased bearing surface. Fair dues to Hobby Lobby they replaced the engine with no problem. Unfortunately the second engine went the same way. Be warned - check the back plate fit.

The second was replaced with a Magnum .15. With the comment that this was more powerful than the AP. I havn't run the Magnum yet.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Mark Winstanley

Sorry that should be Hobby People and not Hobby Lobby =- where was my mind?