Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvell carb air bleed

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvell carb air bleed

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 08:40 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norvell carb air bleed

Does anyone have information or experience on machining an air bleed and adjustment screw on the norvell .061 engine. I thuoght I saw one in a picture some where.

Thanks Darren
Old 11-14-2003, 09:46 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Norvell carb air bleed

There is a fellow here in Canada that takes a carb from an AP (hornet I believe) and drills and taps for an adjustable airbleed. He stated the stock Norvel carb isnt "meaty" enough to drill and tap. He will not provide any further information, however. []

I have not tried to yet, but plan on it this winter. I just acquired my first Norvel and need to get some of the carbs now (its a CL version).

I am also going to try and fit other carbs I have to it.

Good luck and please share your experiences here with us. We all try and learn from one another - its the best way to help out IMO!

Andrew Coholic
Old 11-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was able to drop the idle by 2K by adding a second needle and using the original needle as a low speed.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:25 PM
ajcoholic

Bipe- explain?? DOnt have a carb in front of me so I may not understand...

AJC
Old 11-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put a remote needle inline between the tank and the carb. I then opened the stock needle all the way and set the engine using the remote needle. After the top end was set I could set the bottom end using the stock needle on the carb. The nice thing is, beacause the norvel barrel moves as it rotates, you can have the stock needle not start to restrict fuel flow until it is nearly shut.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:02 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats A bit of good thinking Bipe, and to think i wnet to all the trouble i did!
I have installed an airbleed onto a new model carb, using that pesky throttle stop screw to adjust it. It was not to hard, though i think you want to do it by hand with a pin-vice (i used an old exacto knife handle.)
Though in my case i had to do mods to the carb to RICHEN the idle, as it was too lean. I also wanted to use it for my vampire ducted fan project, so i wanted to get rid of the mismatch/ step between the hole on the barrel and the carb body, while keeping the stock venturi size.
What i did is i used a tapered rheemer to enlarge the ends of the hole in the barrel (and the engine side of the carb body to match.) this richens the mixture. then i used the airbleed to adjust the mixture.

J.M
Old 11-15-2003, 08:22 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

my lhs still has twin needle carbs for the mp-jet .061 in stock, anyone ever have success trying one of these?

dave
Old 11-15-2003, 08:46 AM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I just put a remote needle inline between the tank and the carb. I then opened the stock needle all the way and set the engine using the remote needle. After the top end was set I could set the bottom end using the stock needle on the carb. The nice thing is, beacause the norvel barrel moves as it rotates, you can have the stock needle not start to restrict fuel flow until it is nearly shut.

Got it! Neat idea. Man, some of you guys come up with some really cool ideas....