Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Converting to R/C??

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Converting to R/C??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 07:21 AM
El Lobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to R/C??

Hey Guys,

Cross posting from the engine forum......

I have a Cox Sure Start .049 that I'd like to use on an R/C combat plane. Can this engine be converted to R/C?

Lobo in West Virginia
Old 11-28-2003, 08:02 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Converting to R/C??

you can get a throttle sleeve for it, if thats what you are asking, look under ebay for cox stuff and you will see them or engines with them, others here can tell you where to get them too. I'm not sure if thats the product engine or not.. if it has a tank built on it, it may cut out in combat manuvers, if its the kind without the tank (built in) then it shouldnt matter, they about $3 on ebay..Rog
Old 11-28-2003, 06:14 PM
El Lobo

Flyin,

The engine has a small clear plastic tank attached to the bottom of the engine connecting directly to the bottom of the needle valve assembly. It appears to be a pop-on and -off arrangement. I see no reason a piece of fuel tubing could not be inserted where the tank insert is now. I'll check ebay, and see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Lobo in West Virginia
Old 11-28-2003, 06:55 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's off a Helicopter, just pop the tank off and slip a fuel line on.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI there WOLFMAN! Run a line out to a 2 oz clunk tank and you will be flying 12 to 15 minutes of combat everytime you go up. You don't even need a clunk inside the tank, just a hard line works because most of your manuevers wil be the up elevator/ inside turn variety. By the way LOBO, I sent you a plan for a neat and easy to fix combat plane, with a conventional layout,but if you would like to try a flying wing, they are easier to build, fly nice {the same wing as the other one] but are faster and the extra speed detracts from the WWI ,slow and close style that I like . Fast combat is high speed jousting, and their are more devastating midairs. Keeping all the planes at the same speed by using identical power combos makes the action more fun. The idea is to encourage others to join in because solo combat sucks! But people will shy away from it if it looks too labor intensive, or if they don't feel like they have a chance to win. Have fun and post a picture once you get it going! One more thing, these are so quick and easy to put together, build them in pairs and you will save building time in the long run
Old 11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
El Lobo

Mr. Combat,

Thanks so much for your kindness. I'm looking forward to receiveing your plans.

My intent is to get a dozen of my students (I teach high school science--we've recently completed a unit on the mechanics of flight) to build these nice 1/2A planes, and acquire a couple of transmitters so we can do single elimination tournaments. I've checked around and there doesn't seem to be a local modelers club, so I'm hoping to plant a few seeds. I flew my first plane more than thirty years ago, and still enjoy model aviation. I'm am a little breathless over the cost of some of the technology these days, but hope the scheme we're working on will give us the most enjoyment for the dollar.

Lobo in West Virginia
Old 11-30-2003, 08:49 PM
combatpigg

LOBO, these planes are easy to fly,but maybe "too much too soon" for your students. They would learn the basics a lot quicker with a 6 foot span 2 channel glider with a electric motor above the wing. Keep a fresh battery simmering on a fast field charger while you are flying and you will maximize your flying time. This sounds like one application where an electric motor would be superior to messing withfuel. Even if you could get each kid proficient enough to solo the glider with a half hour's worth of stick time each , wow what a job you have ahead of you. I would make them take a written test before graduating to the flight lab. What a great project!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:40 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

No doubt about it, the 2-meter motorglider is the way to go, though I'd use a nose mounted Norvel .061 for power. Lots cheaper than electric.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:21 PM
El Lobo

Okay, I'll bite......

Which 2 meter motorglilder should I look at? From the Sailpland & Glider forum, a couple of the guys are talking about the "Gentle Lady" which comes with a plan for a power pod. I know nothing else about this plane. Assistance is greatfully accepted!

Lobo in West Virginia
Old 12-02-2003, 02:48 AM
combatpigg

LOBO! I recently scratch built an OLYMPIC 650 from memory to help teach my wife how to fly.I built my first one almost 20 years ago. It was my first RC job and I learned how to solo in less than a half hour because the owner of the hobby shop had to get back to the cash register. I mounted a TD 049 on a home made "power-pod" above the wing and got some majestic flights out of it. The reason why I reccomend electric[which I have no experience with] is because of the no fuss, no muss aspect. when you've got a bunch of impatient, anxious students waiting on you, wouldn"t you just rather flip a switch? The reason for not putting the motor in the nose is to keep the thing out of harms' way if something goes wrong. I think a GENTLE LADY WOULD BE OK< I DON"T KNOW HOW GOOD THE QUALITY IS THESE DAYS. A tip for kit building if the parts are die stamped on a sheet is to pre sand the sheets with 180 grit before trying to seperate the parts from the sheet. Lobo, hopefully you will have that terrible drawing I sent cleaned up by the DRAFTING CLASS before you have it duplicated! You haven't seen it yet
Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Gentle Lady, Wanderer, Drifter II, Spirit, they're pretty much all the same, except I'm not wild about the way the GL's wing is attached. I like a nose mounted engine because the thrust line never changes, and the tank mounting and plumbing is easier, not to mention that it's a cleaner looking installation. Use a nylon prop and index it to stop in a horizontal position. A polyhedral wing like that used on the mentioned planes makes it self-righting, and the light wing loading keeps landing speeds low. I always have a few sailplanes around to relax with.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:43 PM
El Lobo

Combat,

I haven't really considered an electric application since I have zero experience with it. I do have a fair amount of experience with the Cox .049s, and since I'm looking to use this engine as the workhorse of our air fleet, it seems a logical choice for the motorglider.

I had intended to reproduce your plan, and laminate it for multiple use. I'll probably make a plywood template for the wing rib(s). I have a router table that I can set up with the template to mill the ribs to insure uniformity. I've also got a 4'x3' piece of MDF I can use to make a wing building platform....maybe two or three if I get a bunch of anxious builders.

I found your Olympic 650, and the Gentle Lady on the 'Net.......many similarities. I suspect $$$$ will influence the choice.

I have only the basic rudiments when it comes to the electronics needed. Which brand names are considered the 'cream' today? On your combat plane, are you using the minature, or micro, or sub-micro sizes?

So much 'stuff'........... aka ........ "So many toys.....so little time!"

Thanks.............Lobo
Old 12-02-2003, 08:05 PM
combatpigg

LOBO! I have a couple of $70 HITEK FOCUS 3 channel radios that have a mixer feature built in for flying wings. They didn't come with rechargable batteries, so by the time I was done I could have bought something else. The system came with [2] HS81 servos, and a 4ch receiver that weighs an ounce. I think that this size radio gear is as small as you need to go. If you plan on building with TITEBOND and pins build over styrofoam! Spraying the wax paper with 3M 77 helps hold everything to the building board. You are right about the gas vs glow, you guys will have to get messy sooner or later! Going with a 2 ounce tank mounted somewhat above the engine will give your students 12 minutes or so of quality time. There are more practical reasons for mounting above the wing, than in the nose. Just strap it down with the same rubberbands that you use for the wing.The only down side to using a glider vs a conventional plane is that it takes less wind to have "all flights cancelled", You will be spending more time passing the radio back and forth. Don't forget to rehearse the CALM passing technique with your pupils.Anyone who throws the radio back at you should do pushups for the rest of the session!. I usually grab the antenna. Gliders can be saved at any height! Good LUCK! I envy your job!
Old 12-04-2003, 03:25 PM
combatpigg

HI LOBO! My conscience got the best of me, and I drew a cleaned up version of the chicken scratching that i sent you. I misplaced your address, so if you could send that to me again, I'll send you a real thing of beauty this time.