Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which engine for a Herr Starcruiser?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which engine for a Herr Starcruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 11:12 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which engine for a Herr Starcruiser?

Hello, everyone! I've got a question for all you 1/2a cognoscenti (coxnoscenti?). I haven't actually run any 1/2a since I was a kid with cox plastic pukers, but I've been flying small electrics of various description, and I've decided they're just not loud enough and they need a protective coat of slime. Anyhow, I've got several projects lined up for the coming winter, among them a Herr Starcruiser. I plan on trimming the plane out like my fathers Skylane, in white, red, and black, and I'd like it to be one of the planes I always fly because its fun, easy, and low maintainence. To that end, I'd like some suggestions on which of the following engines is more suited to the airframe: a norvel .049 bigmig, or an OS .10LA. Both engines are NIB, and on a shelf in my shop. I was hoping to use the norvel in a clancy ladybug(gross overkill, I know[X(]), and the OS in the starcruiser, since I imagine it will be quiet, even tempered, easier to start, and down on power compared to the norvel--all attributes that point to a trainer type plane. The one place the OS really suffers is weight. Including muffler, the OS weighs 5.1 oz/147grams compared to the norvel at 2.0 oz/57grams. Either way, I plan on using hs81s for weight reduction. I could use a larger Rx pack to balance the heavy OS if need be. Any thoughts, guys? I'm not dead set on using the OS, but it would be more convenient for my purposes, I think. Thanks for your input.

Matt
Old 12-02-2003, 11:54 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Which engine for a Herr Starcruiser?

Matt:

Limited to what you have on hand, the Norvel goes in the Bee, and the OS in the Cruiser.

Now if you can find someone to trade the OS to and get a Norvel 0.074 in exchange...

Bill.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:16 AM
BuzzBomber

Bill: are the OS la series really that bad? I bought it about a year ago to go in an ace simple t-6, but after doing some research, decided that wasn't a particularly good idea, and the t-6 remains in its box on the shelf, along with a shiny new bigmig .061 for when I get around to it. If I knew then what I know now, I would've skipped the OS for one norvel in each size; alas, I didn't, and now I reckon I might as well use up the stuff I've got. Well, I've got some time to do weight and balance checks before deciding on the engine(translation--I've got to build the plane first), so I'll probably have more questions as I progress into my first 1/2a(actually, I guess its class a) project.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:12 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built the starcruiser and installed a Gilbert .11 with a throttle. It is smaller and slightly lighter (about 1/2 oz) than the OS. It turns a 7x3 at 13,000; you would have to compare that. I had a rough time ROG from grass but on pavement it was in the air in no time. It could just power itself thru a loop without a dive. It had no problem with a fairly steep climb once at speed. I enjoy the plane and have a second one with ailerons.
Forget flying it with a .049, it just wouldn't be fun. An .061 would be the smallest I'd try. An .074 would be better.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt:

The LAs are not bad engines, they are inexpensive (for OS), and have adequate power. But other smaller engines have equal or greater power.

With care, and castor oil for the plain crank bearing is part of the care, the LAs will give good service over a long life. Fly it and enjoy. Just don't expect great verticals.

Bill.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:14 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Mine rocks on a Norvel .074!!! My first one did great on a Norvel .061. I think you should store the OS in oiled cloth and get a new NORVEL!!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:26 PM
BuzzBomber

Alright guys, thanks for the input. It looks like I'll probably be using the OS, unless a future trip to the LHS serves to separate fool from money and send said fool home with norvel .074.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

have them special order the .074~ it's worth it!

L.R.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:57 PM
wild fred-OLD

if you go here, you can see one flying inverted limbo on a norvel .074! http://think.webstrikesolutions.com/hcfc/hcfc.html along with some other cool small stuff. I'll give you one guess who hit the broken combat plane in the pix...