Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox 049

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:51 PM
jdwardus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cox 049

i havnt been in the 1/2 a buisness long.i like the killer bees cheaper than the td.yet i can use the fuel tank of my choice.so far i have biult a few 1/2a my best yet is a aronca speed 400 i left of the round nose to save wait . and added ailerons and a kb 049 two channel radio with hitec feather light servos tossing it by hand . it starts off slow then gains speed .and its on .she does good till the last drop of fuel.but on a simple seires extra it stalled right wing first and broke the wing off.on one of my scratch biults same thing happen. but on the indicator it done fair it was stalling slow at first . but with care she gaind air speed and flew.do you guys use a runway with these engines or hand toss because im starting to learn. that if they aint ultra light they will stall . if hand tossed. i have biult a goldie speed 400 the plane is ready waiting on micro servos this one to. will have a killer bee 0.49 i. last weekend i bout a norvel bigmig 0.61 im hoping to put it on a biplane.what is you guys exspeirence with these engines
Old 12-04-2003, 06:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: cox 049

Hi JDWARDUS! On a scratch built it is always good to check the center of gravity of the model. measure how wide your wing is from front to back, and then figure out where 25% back from the leading edge of the wing is. That is about where it should balance. It is also important to make sure that the completely assembled, ready to fly model balances spanwise [lateral CG], right down the middle of the fuselage[the body]. Launches with a heavy model need to be thrown level, and hopefully the plane has enough power to make a gradual climb out. Some guys even do a slingshot launch, but you want to be pretty darn sure you have a flyable model before trying that. I don't want to even suggest in this forum that your COX .049 is too WIMPY [X(][X(]to get the job done, but that might be part of the problem too. I've scratch built a few models that I wanted to fly with the COX 049, and ended up switching to a .061 engine to make the idea work. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:01 PM
jdwardus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sling shot launche how is this done or what is used to build somthing like this ?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

JDWARDUS, pose this question to the guys in the COMBAT FORUM and you will probably get alot of feedback. I've never seen a catapult launcher. I'll bet that surgical tubing is used , but I'm not sure how to attach it to the plane without getting caught in the propellor.