Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Half-A Profile Funfly

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Half-A Profile Funfly

Old 02-06-2004, 06:19 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RE: Half-A Profile Funfly

Hey Marshall, for the pull-pull, I am using 'SpiderWire' fishing line. I believe a spool is about 7bucks, and I am using the 50lbs test. The stuff is tough, but does fray if abraided, so I went with the ultra heavy stuff. Still much lighter than any hardware available anywhere. I CA it to the dowel control horns after wrapping it around the dowel about 6 times, and I use a little kicker on the CA. At the servo end, I capture the line under the servo arm screw.

Derek, if you can't find spruce at your LHS, check a Hobby Lobby craft store. Interestingly enough, my LHS doesn't carry spruce, but the local flower and basket place does: ) If you can't get the spruce, the basswood should be fine. Just remember to build light.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:14 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Spider wire, watch what type you get. They have the original, stealth, fusion. The steath frays like crazy, the fusion is a little better then the original. I am using the 10 pound diamiter and that is 30 pound test. You copuld use the 4 pound diamiter and it is like 15 pound test.

I did find the fuel tank thread. All I wanted to know was what to use to seal the tubbing to the top of the canister. I have not been able to do much on the Half Wit do to that I am in school working on my MCNA and a CCNA cert. The amount of reading and labs is keeping me busy.

Dru.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI MATCHLESS!! If you promise NOT to laugh, I'll show you my HALFWIT![I used that line on my first date with my wife!] It weighs 12.2 ozs, 3/16" balsa spars, no arrow shaft, and no plywood. The motor mount is a pair of 1/4"by1/4" maple sticks 2" long, on a balsa block. A little 1/32" ply ties the maple to the balsa. I had to notch the fuel tank into the wing[retro fit] to get the balance point into the happy zone, but now the plane has an ugly "PUG NOSE"[]!To top it off that ridiculous looking prop and diesel engine add further insult to the proud HALFWIT heritage! I tangled with a fir tree [like an idiot] while wringing it out in my back yard. It stuck in the tree with almost a full load of fuel and ran for 10 embarrassing minutes with squirrels running for cover. So anyway, the damage amounted to 2 ribs and splicing 5 spars, and a quick [hack job]recovering. I can't recommend the diesel and 7-2 prop highly enough! It gives the plane that much more gravity defying-ness about it. The throttle management in the hover is less critical, and the engine doesn't load up after being throttled back as much as a glow. It's a shame to hear about the heavier ones being made, because at even 14ozs it's a MUCH different plane to fly than at 12. I will get a FUGI tank going with VITON tubing so I can get rid of the tin can, that might get it under 12ozs. It will be interesting to do a DEPRON version, can't wait to hear DBs' flight report on the BARECAT!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79235.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	98147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94391.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	98148  
Old 02-06-2004, 09:32 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

WOW! Match looks like you got a hit that keeps on growing,,, I havent had time to finish mine, and have pretty much given up on the 1/2a contest warbird cause weve been working 6 , 10 hour days at work, guess what I found out this morning.........we're going to 7 days,, got the wing done on the halfwit, got the servos in, and the Rx, need to put it together get a batt pak made and wait for a day off,well the bright side is I guess I'll be able to afford more toys, ...wonder when I'll be able to play with them[], ,,,I even got the trans, purple ultracoat to cover it with,,, plus I sent a roll of that to AJ for the carb he sent me for my norvel .074.....Rog
Old 02-07-2004, 01:09 AM
crashawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got mine covered and assembled tonight. all I got to do now is install motor, radio and landing gear, airframe with covering came out at just a little over 6 ounces. btw, I used tape hinges made from 3M scotchpad 3750-p packaging tape, it comes pre-cut in pads 2 inch by 6 inch and is fairly fuel proof. I've usually lost covering before I lost the hinges and they work for little bitty planes up to big gliders and small power planes, about the best for electric. you can use it to seal a complete hinge gap or use strips if weight is a concern (itty bitty planes). if you burnish it down with an eraser or burnishing tool it pretty much disapears. see if you can spot them in the pics.

Jason

Name:	Us55054.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	98225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77797.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	98226  
Old 02-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Big Al-RCU

Default RE: Half-A Profile Funfly

I scaled down the Half Wit to about 100 sq in for an 010 and was going to call it a Nit Wit but decided that it couldn't qualify as an original for the design contest plus it would come out too heavy. Dang! Back to the drawing board.
al
Old 02-07-2004, 11:43 AM
matchlessaero

CombatPigg and Jason, those are awesome.....!

CP, you may have me convinced yet to try a diesel. I work for the worlds largest Diesel engine Company and have always wanted to try one on a model. Just have not taken the plunge.....

BigAl, I had thought of doing the same thing. I think I have too many .010 powered thingies going right now though- Glowplugs are cutting into the budget a bit too much..

Does not look like I will get to build or fly much this weekend. Its the weekend of oil and filter changes, new tires...blah blah blah. But its windy today, so I guess I'm not missin' much.

I took a moment to get a collection together of planes from this thread and some that were emailed to me and built a nice little webpage to showcase them. I'll add more as I get them. Hope ya'll like it. (captions will get on there tomorrow afternoon)

http://www.geocities.com/matchlessae...sHalfWits.html
Old 02-07-2004, 01:06 PM
combatpigg

HI MATCHLESS! I need to tell you that there aren't any store bought props that work with the diesel 061 in a hover. The 7-3 APC is too much, the throttle response is not soon enough, and when it does come on, you zoom up. I lucked into a few 7-2 props made out of a light wood, similar to basswood. The WIDE blades scoop lots of air at the low rpms. I think making a mold of this wood prop is the thing to do, and make the blades wafer thin out of fiberglass, like an electric prop. You know, come to think of it, I haven't looked at the commercial electric props yet. I promise to put together a "cleaned up" version of the HALFWIT for your album, so you can delete that wrinkled, oily rag I showed you! Another down side to diesel, it infiltrates every nook and cranny on the plane, so you have to be way more meticulous than I am about fuel proofing.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:43 PM
MR Flyer57

HI MATCHLESS,

Thank you for your response (and the rest of you guys out there) about the pull pull cord your using.

I have been taking the pictures off of the web, and was going to try to get you to make a small area on your site to put the story of the HalfWit.
A place on your site for the HalfWit is a great idea

It's appeals to a large and often neglected cross section of our hobby. Good fliers, with marginal building skills that want something quick, hot, and cheep. This plane is cheep enough to have fun with and not worry too much about destroying or having to build another, and also is a simple enough build that even novice builders will give it a try.
The big reason this has caught on is that it is a very hotrod design that you can really wring out. It just looks very high on fun and low on the work/cost side. The moment I saw this I knew you had a winner, and am very glad you made this effort.

That said, I look for a huge amount of interest on this plane, and as the fever subsides, offshoots of it will appear. I would like to see a .010 just like some have posted here, watch out for the twins, bipes,and with the talent and imagination here, expect the unexpected!!

MR Flyer57
Old 02-08-2004, 10:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

Well I just fired off my AP Hornet 0.061 powered, 14 5/8oz, no landing geared Half Wit. I had to use a Dubro 2oz fuel tank that weighs in at 2 1/4oz so if and when I build the film canister tank I will save over an once. When I build my next one I will use lighter covering and less colors so I can save a little more. I will also try and find a lighter arrow. Mine is way to heavy.

My little AP just does not have the power to hover the plane running 10% fuel. I am hoping that this weekend when I run 20% it will help some. Mine is for some un known reason not idling worth beans now. I tried 6 props and the flexy Cox props do work better.

Does the Norvel engine put out more power then the Ap engines do on the same nitro???

Dru.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:25 PM
combatpigg

HI BLVDBUZZARD! DO the things that will get you below 13ozs, or better, then your AP will hover it. The difference between AP and NORVEL isn't measurable with the examples that I've got. I run 30% helicopter fuel that I add enough caster oil to , so it tops off a fresh gallon jug of fuel. [about 8ozs] My engines land cool to the touch, and run pretty well.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have about a half gallon of Cool Power 30% heli fuel I have left from when I was running an O.S. 32h in my Raptor. I will be using YS 20/20 and will see if the 30% is still good. I will wait to see how this engione runs after a couple of onces of fuel after sitting for over 3 years.

Dru.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:56 PM
crashawk

I maidened the half wit today, WOW! really exciting. my engine still needs some break'n in so I didn't trust the idle and opted for the full throttle hand launch. up it went and down it went (needed some up trim) grabbed the stick and gave full up and pulled up just in time to graze the snow (left a really cool trough from the wheels and prop) then up we went for good. I tried a few rolls and loops and nosed up and throttled down to see if it would hover, it kept climbing every time I tried, I'm just not getting enough throttle responce yet (it goes up and down way slow, I think it will get better as it breaks in). I came in a little hot for landing and broke a wheel, it really stuck in the snow when it hit. looks like it is going to be really fun but it is noisy and really oily (I think it puts out more oil than any of my big engines).

Jason

Name:	Hf97765.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	99306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30674.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	99307  
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 PM
matchlessaero

Jason, congrats on a successful maiden flight! Sounds like it went pretty doggone well.

Such a good lookin' plane, I know it looks great in the air. Your engine should get better with more runnin... The fact that you are having trouble with it climbing when nose up is an excellent sign. You will be hovering and torque rolling in no time![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
If you have not already removed the throttle stop screw, pull it out. When you do, your engine should idle much lower. Mine will actually will shut down from throttle trim.

While Jason had a great first flight, I think the original Half-Wit may have had its last flight on Sunday morning. The good news is that it died a very honorable death for a 3d plane.
I was practicing knife edge loops and getting more and gutsy with it. Finally I centered one over the far edge of the runway. As it pulled level at the bottom of the loop at full throttle, the left wingtip caught the high grass that borders the runway. The little plane cartwheeled across the frozen ground very hard. I may rebuild it anyway as the damage actually was very minimal. All that broke was the tip rib and it loosened the horizontal mount. I may try to rebuild it some night this week......Then again, maybe its time for a new one....
Old 02-10-2004, 12:21 AM
combatpigg

HI MATCHLESS! The sign of a TRUE 3D PLANE INJURY is when you have to fix a minched wingtip, as opposed to a front end! The story about your planes' death is greatly exagerated, I'll bet. We will all wear black armbands until "our" mother ship is back in the air. [&o][&o][&o][&o] This is indeed a dark day in HALFWIT LAND![&o][&o]
Old 02-10-2004, 03:43 AM
crashawk

thanks Matchless for the kind words the next one is getting lighter covering so I can put better graphics on it. I would have tried more on that first flight but I still get a bad case of nervousen jitters on any maiden, I don't know why, most guys at the field consider me a great pilot and I can do most anything (rolling circle is the only thing I really haven't mastered but maybe I'll get it with this one). my son was standing next to me for the first flight and was jumping up and down and hollering, was kind of funny. (he is 5 but doesn't fly rc yet 'cause he still thinks it's funny to crash) I fly just about anything I can get my hands on, just aquired another norvel powered machine. gave 35 bucks for a litemachines 110 with motor, it's pretty beat up but I think I can get it flying. [sm=drowning.gif] I like the page you put up on your site of all the half wits. how does our profile bipe compare to the sig ultimate funfly (I wore a s i f out and had a ball) I'd like to do a 15 size profile bipe myself. getting late here, better go.

Jason
Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Warp 9

[img][/img]

Name:	Ay73463.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	99424  
Old 02-10-2004, 08:28 AM
matchlessaero

Thats great Jason. You are really lucky to have a great little flying buddy like him
I was lookin' at your wheels, and I saw the broken one, you may want to get a pair of Maxxprod's light electric wheels. I put 1.5" on mine and it still rolls across the grass easily. Additionally, I have done repeated landings from a flatspin and an elevator and I have yet to break them.... Might be worth a try.

Warp 9, your Half-Wit looks really cool! Do you have any details for us and have you flown it yet?

Seeing Warp9's means that there are Half-Wits on 3 or maybe 4 continents[X(]. That is very cool!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:59 AM
Warp 9

My plane ended up at 14,6 oz..that is 415 grams..will fly it like that ,and later make a lighter battery pack..will save one oz by doing so..
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 PM
onecb
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: RE: RE: Half-A Profile Funfly

I am kind of wondering if there is a way to loose weight from the rear of my half wit? I built it all up ready to fly 12 oz. But have to add two oz to the nose. to get it to balance at the rear mark. I hope someone has some good ideas how to loose some weight on the tail end?
Thanks Alvin
Old 02-11-2004, 11:19 PM
matchlessaero

Great to hear you built one Alvin

You should not have to remove much from the tail to drop weight. I would start by making a new stab and elevator from the lightest balsa you can get your hands on. A lightweight rudder will help as well. Lightening holes may help somewhat as well.
If you drop 1/4 to half an ounce from the tail, you will not have to add more than 1 oz or so of weight to the nose (because of the effect of the long moment arm).

If you do add weight, add a dubro spinnernut and a bigger batterypack. Added weight might as well be useful.

Lets see some pics of it. At 12 oz's, yours may be the lightest yet. Should hover and 3d like a dream!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:14 AM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Love this thread. Any more video coming ?

Phil
Old 02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
crashawk

I took my half wit to the club field sat, my engine was being contankerous. it would either idle or go full power and die at any thing mid range. so we started it full throttle and set it on the ramp and took off (my friend John had the transmitter and was joking around about letting him fly it, so I did) my reciever took several hits while he was flying, it was funny seeing his reaction when it did a loop without his input, even funnier when it snap rolled. at that point I asked him to kill the engine and bring it in (of course then the engine wanted to run) it was not hurt but should I add some shims to the head, would that help the big mig run on 15 percent nitro? the radio problem is something that is weird, on some days at that field several people get interfence for no reason and there are spots on the field that nobody flys anything through as all planes get hit in one or two spot at our club field. I've never gotten hit with the same equipment at other fields, sometimes makes it hard to find reciever problems (I lost a big plane because of it)

later
Jason
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM
matchlessaero

Jason, sorry to hear that your radio was getting hit. Makes for an eventful flying day. : ( : ) : <}
We have the same problem at my field. Channel 38 gets hit particularly hard in a few certain spots around the runway and out over the farm over which we fly. The hits actually got so bad that I was forced to change all my radios off 38 (I had 4 radios on that ch)

Four particular things you can check on your engine. (These are the four factors that have affected me most while running Norvels and other Russkie variants).
You mentioned head shims- I experimented a bit with mine on Sat and Sun again and came back to the magic number of 2.
Second thing I have dealt with that affects performance (idle, transition and top end) quickly is fresh glow plugs. I change mine fairly frequently. I usually find that when my top end is suffering, and the idle is getting sketchy, the plug element is heavily aluminum fouled. Changing the plug quickly remedies that.
Third thing is Nitro Content- I am currently running 25% Sig, and I like 35% even better. I did not have hovering success with the 15% I ran through my HW.
Final thing is trash in the fuel. I try to run mine through a fuel filter to pull out the 'crud' as often as possible. (thanks to J. Leavitt for reminding me how important that is)

Why is this so doggone fresh in my mind? Saturday, I flew my Half-Wit, and it would barely maintain a hover, spins were suffering..... and I had to keep the idle trim 6 clicks higher than I like just to keep it running. I changed plugs and re-needled the engine, and instantly, I could readily punch right out of a hover, and the engine easily idled down low enough to rip off repeated touch-n-goes....
Old 02-25-2004, 01:12 AM
crashawk

thanks for the advice, sounds reasonable that the glow plug could be fouled with aluminum since break in would definately remove some material. I'll have to get me some spares, does anyone make a head that takes a regular glow plug and does it work well?
radio interference has caused me to lose 2 airplanes indirectly at the field, looking back now they were both on the same radio, my half wit is on that radio too but not on same reciever. they would act up at the field but not at home and since so many others ussually had problems the same day it was chalked up to "interference".
for some reason JR equipment is the only stuff I've had any trouble with at the field, I never have any problems here at my house or several places I fly here in town, just at the club field. we have several large towers within eyesight of the field there, one very close that is the sheriff dept's tower and a line of power lines along the east border oppisite of our runway (we look right at em while flying). I think we need to get some kind of signal anylizer out there and see what's going on. when I turn on my reciever only at home my plane just sits there and does nothing, at that field it goes nuts if the transmitter is not on. my favarite radio right now is my old ace micropro, it's am and I have yet to take a hit in two years of use, some of the "experts" at the field warn me that I should not be flying with it because the new radios are so much better technology, ect,yada yada yada............... PLLLLGGGTTTTTTHHHHH (big rasberry) it gets old. until they outlaw am or I start having problems with it, I'm gonna keep using it.

thanks again.
Jason

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.