Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

pee wee .020 throttle sleeve

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

pee wee .020 throttle sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:04 AM
danny48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pee wee .020 throttle sleeve

Hi Guys,
I,m new to this forum so bear with me.I'm looking for a throttle sleeve for the .020s.It seems to be hard to get anything from cox so if any one has a suggestion let me know.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:25 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: pee wee .020 throttle sleeve

Well, depends on if you want to spend the $$$$ or not but here is an email address for a guy in CA who evidently makes them for several different Cox engines: [email protected]

The price he gave me for a .010 throttle sleeve was $39.95. That makes the PeeWee about a $90 engine. There are probably others out there but I haven't found them yet. I have seen a .020 (can't remember if it was a PeeWee or a TeeDee) with a throttle ring and it throttled very well, much to my surprise. Hope this helps ya.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:54 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fireman, I think that was my throttle sleeve you saw on the red Wee Stick at the last fly-in down at Johnson county last week. It was on a Tee Dee .020 but was originally was for a Pee Wee in the Baja Buggies by Cox a long time ago. It took a while to find one. This particular one I found in an old hobby shop in Ala. Steve Adams out in Ca. ([email protected]) is making some for the .010 Tee Dee of which he just sent me one. I have not installed it yet but the machine work looks like a piece of art. Very close tolerances and lapped into final assembly. One note though, his sleeve comes with a new liner and piston assembly. With the cost of Cox parts from Estes I would suspect this is the great deal of the cost. My .020 will idle down where it will not move on pavement. It does take away a wee bit of power though but not much. I asked Steve if a .020 version would follow and I think he is working on it. I will post the results of this little throttle when i get her mounted anf running.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 12-07-2003, 04:09 PM
boberos

Do a search here for a "Vogt" throttle restictor.
He made them for 010 & 020 engines & sold same through Ace RC. Out of production now.

When you find the thread there is a pic & some dimensions. You can machine your own.

Good luck,
Bob Gardner
Old 12-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Guys,

I got one of Mr. Adams' .010 throttle sleeves a couple of weeks ago. I only ran it once on the bench (read that: piece of wood) - but I can tell I'm gonna like it. The top end was around 16,500 (just for a short time since I'm still in breakin mode) and the low end got down to something less than 10k - but that might have been due to my mount which didn't allow me to close the sleeve as much as I would have liked. In any case, even at 10k I could tell that it would allow a model to slow down - probably as much as I could ever want from an .010-powered behemoth.

I have a muffler from Cox for an .020 but it is the kind that you can only "adjust" on the ground by sliding a piece of springy sheet metal over an opening in the side of the device. It did cut the sharp crack of the exhaust note but back when I tried it I didn't have a tach so I couldn't really say how much it effected the top end - but you wanted a real throttle and this ain't. Never mind.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:10 AM
danny48

Thanks alot for the info guys,I'll keep looking.That .049 rotor engine looks neat mybe .020 could be done same way but with a carb instead.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Danny,

That is pretty much is my idea with the Sniper DR .049. Once I get the bugs worked out and the engines running the way I want I will work on mounting R/C carbs on it. It just takes time that's all!

Later,
Tim
Old 12-10-2003, 08:52 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

There's a new Pee Wee .20 motor w/ factory throttle sleeve on ebay right now. Only1 bid so far. Current price is $9.99. Bid ends 12-14-03 @ 19:14:22 PST. Seller Marshalll57 item#3163316727. Hope this helps someone who want's it.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Marshall 57 thats mrflyer57 he's not the seller he's the high bidder, I'd like to find one myself but without a nice runway, I would think it might just be extra weight cause, your gonna run wide open most of the time anyway with an .020.....Rog
Old 12-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I built a Simple Duster from plans years ago as part of a club project (I think three actually got built). I had a Black Widow in it to start but it wasn’t enough power so I mounted a Gmark .061 that I wired the throttle open on. Well, the Gmark provided so much power that I added a third servo (standard size) and was able to control my descent and even land while the engine was still running (until I got it on the ground and nosed over). This wasn’t exactly exciting and I quickly got bored with it.

Fast forward to today’s (nearly) weightless servos and a third (or fourth) channel becomes more realistic. In fact, I my to-do list has an entry for a PAW .033 R/C-powered Cornbread knockoff and maybe a throttled .010-powered aerobatic A/E something yet to be determined. I don’t expect to hover anything with a .010 up front, but I could probably do some low-slow flybys, maybe Harriers, spins, etc. Now the PAW in a Cornbread I expect will tax my skills (OK, almost anything I try to fly taxes my skills but this maybe this time …)

The point being that throttles are just something else we can experiment with now thanks to the ever-shrinking, wonnerful world of miniature aircraft.