Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:53 AM
SmoothRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Happened?

I was wondering what happened?

I asked for some simple advice from the consortium of experience with Airplanes and I got nothing from anyone?

Someone please tell me what is going on here or am I being shunted out?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What Happened?

Common SmoothRC, we've been through this . These guys are waaay to easy going to hold a grudge. Some threads just go unanwsered for a bit sometimes. Maybe no one feels like they are an authority on the topic, or maybe the topic is worn out, or perhaps the experts feel that someone else will get it. For whatever reason, it happens all the time. Don't think that people don't like you, give it some time. Good luck!

Derek
Old 12-09-2003, 12:51 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what were you asking about?

AJC
Old 12-09-2003, 01:03 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Smooth, if you do a search, usually everyone agrees that the guillows are too light to be made RC and advise against it..but lots of us hard heads try it anyway (not me),, if you go to quantum models, they have the ACE simple ultimate biplane its just as cute, needs a little more than an .049 but is built to handle it.... check it out, see what your daughter thinks about it.....Rog
Old 12-09-2003, 01:09 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Smooth,
Actually, I did write up an answer for you, then re-read your post and saw that you wanted to avoid electric.
Oh well! That was my recommendation.
Best bet (outside of electric), a PAW .03 R/C, or you need the PeeWee with the gear drive for it.
An .049 is too much IMHO.

Dave
Old 12-09-2003, 01:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

SMOOTH!! Hi there, I would have chimed in if I had anything to bring to the table. The Guillows kits are sooo fragile, they usually get broken by my clumsyness several times before I get them off the building board! The .03 diesel with featherweight gear sounds like a great combo.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:14 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have flown some Guillow kits free flight with a Cox peewee 020. I bet with today's lightweight gear, and some creative re engineering, you could make a Guillow plane full house RC. But, it would be a lot of work compared to getting a dedicated RC kit (like a Herr) or even scratch building off of a good set of plans. The Guillow kits that are still in the hobby shops are mostly the older die crunched ones... and let me tell you that a lot of them are CRUNCHY... some of my students buy these regularly and the dies should have been retired a long time ago...

AJC
Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Lynn S

Smooth- The one and only Guillows kit I built was quickly turned into a bag of balsa sticks. This was a C/L Spitfire. I would buy a better kit, the Ace Simple Ultimate would be a better flying plane and build in 1/10 the time.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:36 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally missed the post until you pointed it out.

A PAW .03 would be perfect. I've seen these run and they swing a pretty large prop for such a small engine. An .020 would work too. A throttled .049 could be done if you beef it up, but it'd be way more power than you need.

My 1/2A Ultimate only has a span of 25" and is powered by a Norvel .061, but it's not a WWI warbird.

I've attached a picture of a PAW .03 that is in a friends plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98063.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	81137  
Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rog,

You're right about the ACE Ultimate needing a little more than a .049. I had a .25 in mine. I can't imagine it being a very good flyer with a .10 in it, but with the .25 it was a blast. One nice thing about being so overbuilt/overweight is that it is nearly indestructible and could fly in a gale. I used to land it inverted without damage. I eventually gave it away. I really should build another, but out of balsa.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 AM
SmoothRC

I am sorry you guys, things have beeen crazy around here..............My daughter is 7 and wants to fly with her daddy so bad she made me build her an electric park flyer......she was doing good when she caught a crosswind, crashed, literally destroyed it. She looked up at me and said, "Oh well, sorry, can we go play on the playground?". I laughed. I bought the Guillows Thomas Morse kit for $13.00 and it is a newer laser cut version. I started on the fuse. this morning and it is almost completed. The wings are next. I am installing 6 gram servos, 4 gram rec., and all control hinges will be .010" dia. kevlar thread.

Sorry for getting off track, The company I was their Production Engineer for has started bankruptcy and I was let go the beginning of August. I am also a single dad and have been doing it for six + years. Her mother left and has been heard from since. Last I knew she was in Tenneessee, above Nashville.

I do like the idea of the .03 Diesel and I am trying to keep it with a 6x4 prop. it is more scale sized. So , that is why the - Any Suggestions!!!!! Please.

Oh, my Stormovick, Norvel .049 powered, 5 channel, with Retracts, flew this past weekend.

Plane did great, Wind didn't like it. I should have taken the hint when the birds stopped flying.

Oh, well that is the reason for the Guillows kit.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:39 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: SmoothRC

I am sorry you guys, things have beeen crazy around here..............My daughter is 7 and wants to fly with her daddy so bad she made me build her an electric park flyer......she was doing good when she caught a crosswind, crashed, literally destroyed it. She looked up at me and said, "Oh well, sorry, can we go play on the playground?". I laughed. I bought the Guillows Thomas Morse kit for $13.00 and it is a newer laser cut version. I started on the fuse. this morning and it is almost completed. The wings are next. I am installing 6 gram servos, 4 gram rec., and all control hinges will be .010" dia. kevlar thread. .....
Hi SmoothRC, that brings back memories. Back when my youngest son was about 3, the Ace Littlest Stick came out and since my daily flyer was a Jensen Ugly Stik, he wanted one 'just like daddy's'. Well I tried to skimp a bit on the iron crosses to save a bit of weight, but nothing doing, it had to be JUST like Dad's. (I was spraying K&B Super Poxy, read HEAVY). To make a long story short, it did fly (once) and was a real brick, but he didn't care. It hung in his room til he grew up and I still have it even now. By the way he is now 31.
Some things are priceless.
Al
Old 12-14-2003, 04:19 PM
driverm391

I have almost finished my guillow's Stuka and I used the hardware from my GWS tigermoth (Pico Servos) I am waiting to get the engine in the mail so I can install it.
I am not sure how well it will fly, but I'll see how I works.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:53 PM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

My father is kinda getting back into the hobby, and has built a Guillow's PT-17, F4U, and the P-51. All are around 30 inch wing span. He has an OS 10 in the 17, and a rear exhaust webra 12 with a pipe on the 51. I am afraid for the day that one's maiden is atempted, but after looking at the planes I believe with the proper electrics and a norvel 61 or 74 any of the larger ones would fly fine.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:07 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Smooth-Sorry I didn't catch on until today, but since I'm interested in anything with wings, I go right to all the airplane forums (fori?) and punch today's posts, so if nobody replies to a topic, I don't see it. Sorry! I had an Ace All-Star bipe with a .15 on it. It was a great little flyer, but I don't know if it's still available...JIM