Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Glow Slow Stick OS .10LA

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Glow Slow Stick OS .10LA

Old 12-13-2003, 09:43 AM
SeenMCrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Slow Stick OS .10LA

We maidened our nitro slow stick today. It flew great! It flew level at idle, which was ok, and it can go vertical-- a huge advantage over electric. On high dives and great forces, we did have some minor wing tip flutter, which did not affect flight.

Construction:
We thought that the foam (weak) control surfaces would not be strong enough, so we upgraded to built-up balsa surfaces. We used 3/16 sq. sticks to make just a simple outline of the old surfaces. Then, we used 1/8 sq.sticks inside making triangles to avoid any twisting possibility.

We also needed an engine mount. We figured that the best way to mount the engine was use a flat piece of 1/8 plywood and just cut it to fit the engine size and the thickness of the fuse (see pics, coming later).

Also we put the fuel tank under the wing and under the center of gravity so that we would not have any in flight balance problems. Right in front of the rear wing mount was the battery. We just used a standard 4x600 NiCD rx battery. Then came the servos, and the fuel tank right below the CG on the bottom side of the fuse. All servos are micro servos, weighing about .3 oz. each.

The throttle servo is mounted with glue, friction, and zip ties and is still very strong. The micro servo has plenty of power to move my throttle wherever it needs to go.

The plane drove on a golf course green at about 3mph at idle. I blipped the throttle to 1/2 to get airborne. From there, I put the throttle to about 1/4 to acheive a climb of about 30 degrees.

After I was at about 100 feet, I trimmed it. Very much down-elevator trim was required. We did a dive test and it held its descent rate, so we knew it wasn't tail or nose heavy. Next, I tested the maximum climb rate. I gave it full and pointed the nose up....and it climbed at vertical! I flew it straight and level for a lap, and it flies staight easily. It flies level at idle.

After several minutes when I could no longer feel my fingers, I decided to land. I did some fly-bys to get used to the feel and speed. Because it flew level at idle, I just killed the throttle as I apprached the runway. It settled in nicely and smoothly too.

There are two things which I don't like about this plane.
a) The 1/8 ply engine mount does allow a little bit of flex of the engine. I think it might be too flexible....
b) On the pull outs of loops and similar maneuvers I do get some minor rear wingtip flutter. I just need to be careful; no problem really.

Hope this helps someone out there who decides to give it a shot. She's a great flyer, I'm more pleased with it than with electric. Pictures which will help to show everything will be added soon, hopefully. -Andrew & Paul
Old 12-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Glow Slow Stick OS .10LA

hi that sounds cool. i was going to order a brushless set up and spend 250 dollars. do you think a norvel 061 will work it has to have more power than that little think it comes with is the wing fuel proof or did you put something on it thanks
Old 12-13-2003, 08:14 PM
SeenMCrash

Yeah, in fact, there is a similar thread to this where someone used a Norvel .061. I put tape over about 5 inches in from the center of the wing on the right side. -Andrew
Old 12-15-2003, 08:01 PM
SeenMCrash

Today I drew up a plan and took pictures of the plane. The plan is in (.dwg) format and details the engine mount we made. Note that it is made of 1/8 ply. All necessary dimensions are shown. Pictures will be added later this night (hopefully ).

[link=http://home.ptd.net/~hawkax11/ssmount.dwg]Slow Stick Engine Mount[/link]

-Andrew
Old 12-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Paul rcflyer

These are the pics of the slow stick and what we changed.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Dewey2

THANKS FOR SHOWING THE PICS OF THE MOUNT I'M GOING TO PUT A NORVEL .049 ON MINE AND SAVE 200+ DOLLARS
Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Clean

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't open the pictures, can you suggest a program or take a picture and pu *** in jpg?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:01 PM
SeenMCrash

In case some can't read the previous pictures, I'll add them again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74095.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	82628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34483.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	82629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62088.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	82630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41823.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	82631  
Old 12-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Dewey2

i see you made a built up tail . is that needed or did you not want to look like a flying bat going by . i'm just useing a .049 on mine so i will be a few ounces liter than a stock one . so do you think the foam will be ok . thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 10:55 PM
SeenMCrash

Yeah. I'm not sure if it was just our two planes, or all of them, but even screwed and taped on, the foam surfaces still could move. The thrust of a .10 is just too much, and the surfaces would have probably ripped off, either in flight or simply just idling. It's up to you, but with an .049, I wouldn't worry much because they don't make very much thrust that will travel the complete length of the fuse. And, you will want to minimize weight, as you said. Good luck!