Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Such thing as an .10 ARF trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Such thing as an .10 ARF trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
jester125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Such thing as an .10 ARF trainer?

I recently got a magnum .10 engine and Im looking for an ARF trainer that would habdle this engine with standard size servos and rx. I cant seem to find one just kits.

thanks, chris
Old 12-15-2003, 03:15 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Such thing as an .10 ARF trainer?

Are you looking for a 'full house' 4 channel trainer? You might find that a 10 sized plane will be a bit over laden carrying 4 full size servos and receiver.....

I have a couple of ARF's in this general category...

1. Global SST09. Used to be sold by Hobby People but is now discontinued. There may still be some around somewhere. These are 'intermediate' trainers; high wing and no dihedral. Mine flies pretty well using the AP 09, so a Magnum 10 should work OK.
They come as 3 channel: throttle, aileron & elevator. Mine had the rudder added by the previous owner. It uses 4 HS81 servos, I thnk it might be a bit heavy with full size servos...

2. Ripmax Zephyr. 3 channel old timer style for rudder, elevator & throttle. Recommended engine is 15-18 which is way over the top. I use an OS15LA and it doesn't need it, it would be fine on the .10. I use 3 HS81 servos. This plane can be flown either electric or glow From what I've heard, the electric versions are a fair bit heavier than my glow version so it should be able to handle 3 standard servos. Although it's not strickly a 'trainer' per se, it did well for me in the transition between a park flyer and glow powered aircraft, and is a nice sedate flyer. Be careful with the rudder though, it is more sensitive than you'd think due to the polyhedral wing....
Old 12-15-2003, 04:00 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

For a real "trainer" try the Schoolboy, also by Global.
Designed for the AP .09, Poly wing, 3 channel, looks
like a rank beginner would have a chance with it.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123815.asp

Too bad the SST went away, looked cool!

Dave
Old 12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

The U-CAN-2 originally from Norvel is a real nice low wing, easy flyin, ARF. It was made to run an .074, but a 10 will fit just fine.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not an ARF, but it doesn't take long to fold one up, AND hard to destroy. This is the SSC, Slow Survivable Combat, a concept plane and flies very stable at a pretty good clip with a Norvel or the Fox 15 on the front of it, but it flies very stable and slow at half throttle which you will have more power than with the Magnum 10.

Pop the 10 off the front and add a 25 and it starts to rock and roll.

This is the Website http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/SRR/

Now, I know this says combat plane, but the idea behind SSC was to build stable, slow planes that would survive colisions and recover easily, a rubber trainer. I have one downstairs, albeit it's a HOR the aileron/elevator version, and it flies very stable and I spent the 1st flight seeing how well I could drag a wingtip at top speed, which must have been close to 40, probably less. I keep dragging the muffler off the norvel.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Rendegade

Blerk![:'(]

Rank beginners would probably do okay with the schoolboy, but it's just so erm... RANK!

get yourself a nice 2m glider and whack a power pod on it, seriously...

I personally prefer the schoolboy you have on your page Dave, it's got nice lines and that 60's style.
would possibly make a really nice basic trainer scaled up a notch..

provided you had a bit of an experienced pilot to lean on that is...
Old 12-15-2003, 09:49 PM
tinyflier

My only complaint about an ARF, any ARF, is that often the plane doesn't assemble like the directions show and I end up modifying the structure. I built the Chia Pass stick 10 (House of Balsa) in about two weeks, though framing took only about three days. This plane is stable and easy to fly, has a shoulder wing and modest dihedral but is quick at full throttle. It's relatively inexpensive to purchase and installing the electronics is about as easy as it gets in a small airplane. Give up the idea of standard servos in any plane less than a 25, maybe even a 15, there's just too much weight for adequate performance. The biggest challenge for me in building a small plane is the "shoehorning" that must be done to get everything installed to work right and still have the CG where it belongs. If you want to use standard servos build a larger plane, but if you want to fly small (and have a ball!) use appropriate equipment and be prepared to work to small tolerances. BTW Hobbico made an ARF trainer called the Skymate 15 which takes standard servos. It's been out of production for less than a year so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one. That's the smallest ARF I have seen that might fit your requirements.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VMAR cub from richmond rc 4 channel mine has an OS10 diesel head your mag will do fine
slice off their crummy beam mount glue/screw an 1/8 ply to front and mount with a nice plastic
mount attached to same-- plane is $60 ARF built up not foam about 50"span and light (mini servos)
Old 12-16-2003, 02:42 PM
jester125

Thanks all, I think Ill check out the schoolboy.
That looks like what I wanted.

chris
Old 12-16-2003, 02:59 PM
fritzke

Rendegade,
Yeah, not the sexiest looking plane, but trainers seldom have that attribute. I used to reccommend the Ace "Ace High Mk II" to folks, that was a nice, cheap, easy to build trainer like you described, a 2m with a pod. But alas, 'tis no more. You could buy the kit, an .049 and a 2 channel radio for about $100 at one time.
Mr Willard had several planes like the Schoolboy in larger sizes, like the Schoolmaster, Head master, Showmaster and probably more!.
Ken was one of the great ones.
Dave
Old 12-17-2003, 01:51 AM
MikelAnderson

Does any one make a Piper Cherokee kit that would be suitable for a low wing trainer (ie. second plane)? I dont want an ARF, and I would actually like to use my Norvel .074. I know thats not really the topice here, but it just sprung to mind.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:59 PM
flyinrog

Herr makes one, never built or flown one, its at their site and I think maybe at quantum models too.....Rog
Old 12-27-2003, 07:52 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

I have a SST kit for sale on auction a beautiful kit and a good match for your 10 size engine,however not a trainer but the next step up from what ever 10 size basic trainer that you deciede on------ Its a shame its no longer produced but the Carl Goldberg 1/2A Skylane was a very stable flyer and well built . If you could get one of those I assure you would be absolutely delighted with its stability and responsiveness. Frankly I could go on and on about this little jewel which I had my first successful radio control flights using a "hot" running Cox Golden bee as shown on the plan and would you believe 'rudder only.' It was initially designed,built and flown by Ron Powoski(sorry not sure of spelling) One last thing although more building required the Goldberg 1/2A Skylane has a larger wing 42" and wing area of 244 square inches with a built up slabilizer and not sheet balsa such as the previously mentioned Sterling Lil Roughneck and their old school Boy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19496.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	85561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59460.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	85562