Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/A engine mod questions

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/A engine mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Big_3Dan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/A engine mod questions

Hello everyone!

Last night i was building a power pod for one of my gliders and while at it i took apart the .049 engine i was going to use on the pod. And i wondered what kind of "simple" Mods i can do to get more RPM's or power from the engine. I've heard some comments bout doing kind of a knife edge to the piston rod. I;m not sure how you call it in english but the part that connects the pustn to the crankshaftand stuff like that..but here i am with the quesion cause i know you are the experts!! I apreciate your help!
Old 12-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: 1/A engine mod questions

Dan,

Are you using a reed valve Cox or a TD?

Later,
Tim
Old 12-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The easiest way to get more power is to increase the nitro content in your fuel.

I'm sure there are others who will have good information if you post what model of engine you are using.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your engine has a ball-and-socket connection between the piston and the rod. With running this connection will loosen. Eventually the rod will come out through the top of the piston. You need a piston reset tool which you use to tighten the socket in the piston around the head of the rod. If you can hold the piston and move the rod up and down against the piston with your fingers it is too loose.

Jim
Old 12-16-2003, 09:40 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have raised the bypass porting on the cox dual bypass (black widow style) to just under the lower edge of the exhaust ports. I did it with a ball end burr in a dremel. But you need a steady hand, and usually have to relap the cylinder afterwards to get rid of the burr.

To improve a cox engine in general, make sure like was stated, that the ball and socket joint is properly set. To get the best fit, you can reset it so it is snug, put a little rouge in the socket and chuck the rod into a drill, and work it loose again, reset, do the rouge again, and then clean with brake cleaner to get ALL the rouge out. Then reset for a last time, and it will be well polished and last a lot longer before you need to reset it again. This removes all the burrs and microscopic tool marks out of the rod ball end.

ALso, a reeder needs the reed CLEAN and make sure the seals are intact, as not to leak air into the backplate to venturi junction.

You can also rework the crankshaft and piston for lightness and better balance, but these require some tools like a lathe...

AJC
Old 12-17-2003, 01:40 AM
Big_3Dan

Guys thank you for your replies...I guess this is not as easy as i though it would be!
Tim i think i have one of both a reed valve and a TD...to be honest i don't know which one is which but they're both .049 but th cylinders are different...one has a integrated tank and has a big opening on the sides of the cylinder and the other one doesn''t have a tank..bit it only has 2 small openings on the sides of the cylinder. I really don't know much bout engines..But i really like 1/A and would've liked to do something cool with one of this little beauties.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:38 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Big,
you came to the right place.

Do a search right here for:
"Cox Reed Valve Performance"

There is a 6 page download compliments of Tim W.
I don't know who the original author is but it has answers to all your questions. A great reference article.
Bob G