Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

I've got a lot of Cox stuff!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I've got a lot of Cox stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a lot of Cox stuff!

I wanted to use the anti-freeze method for cleaning engines up, so I got a crock pot, some anti-freeze, and the FP .40 I wanted to clean out. Then I thought it would be a waste just to do one engine. So I got out my Cox box, and loaded all parts in there too. After I drained everything (oh, and the anti-freeze worked great!) I counted the Cox stuff....17 cylinders, 25 pistons, 22 crankcases, 21 heads, 8 fuel tanks. That does not include all the engines already mounted in planes and cars I have, or the 10 or so Testors engines I have, and also several plastic back plates too. Even a pull start Cox, a few throttle sleeves, a few fly wheels. If I have this much stuff, I wonder how much the rest of you have!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I've got a lot of Cox stuff!

Duane,

I just got thru doing a couple of engines w/ the crock put and have a question for you. On mine, I "cooked" them at HIGH for about 6 hours and on both engines (enya) I turned the crankcases a dark shade of grey. All of the internal parts and carb and head were wonderfully clean with all of the carbon build up gone. The reassembled engines run like new...but the crankcases wouldn't even polish out. I have been told since, that you only put the heat on low for about 4 hours. My question is, "What is your Recipe as to heat and time???" I have a couple of older engines I need to clean up.. but am a little gunshy into turning them dark grey....

thanks,

Deadstik [8D]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:57 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI DUANE! Hey, if you start eating a hi-fiber diet, all that COX STUFF will eventually work it's way out of you! That's the nature of these little things, everybody has a coffee can full of them. I never have heard of the antifreeze trick. I have seen heated alcohol used to rejuvenate old cracked rubber parts, it was miraculous[X(]! I have a pill jar full of stock TD needle valves for any one interested[X(]! My main problem with 050 TD engines was breaking crankcases, so I accumulated lots of spare parts that way. I'm looking for a usable TD crankcase. I have some GRISH props to trade, including a couple of pushers[X(]! I think that if everyone got all there COX JUNK together, and enough JB WELD, we could rebuild the TWIN TOWERS[X(]!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:27 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Duane, wouldnt happen to have a glow head for a TD 09 would you?

AJC
Old 12-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Dan,

DON'T set it on HIGH!!!! Watch the parts as you go. Sometimes less than an hour will be all they need! I pull parts out every so often and scrub them then back in they go it they are clean.

Later,
Tim
Old 12-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

At any one time I have enough parts for around 100 Cox .049's!

Later,
Tim
Old 12-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I cooked it on low for about 4-5 hours. All the little crap build up came off great. Before I was 10, I didn't clean or take care of stuff and most were run very lean, so most was really castored up, I still don't after oil or take too good care of my engines all the time. I did have a Medallion .09 head, but it's gone. I might have a club member that has one, he has a box of new parts and collections, he used to be sponsored by Cox a long time ago. I did find a different looking glow head, only two fins, and a small combustion chamber. After about 20 years of not modeling, I was surprised how much I collected back then. I knew someone would have more, like Tim!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Duane,

The 2 fin head is for a TeeDee.

Later,
Tim