Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sterling 22" Stearman!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sterling 22" Stearman!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 01:43 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sterling 22" Stearman!

3 channels with a TD 02 with a throttle sleeve. 3/4oz tank. Silkspan and Brodak dope. Trexlers, naturally...flies very well, not sqirelly at all. Beleive it or not, it does show a Citizenship LT3 escapement system installation on the plan for this 1963 kit. Who says park fliers are new?
The fuselage is planked with 1/16 all the way back to the trailing edge...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11331_252.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	7632  
Old 05-17-2002, 11:53 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool biplane!

Hey EASYTIGER, keep 'em coming....I love it! Stearmans are one of my all-time favorites.

I didn't have the gumption to do a Stearman for myself and I can't seem to build kits correctly so I came up with a "sorta scale" Camel for a sweet running TD .020 with PeeWee throttle sleeved cylinder I'd been working on a while back. It's my own design, has 250 sq. in, weighs under 8 oz., covered with Doculam, heat shrunk soda bottle cowling, 130 mah nimh batt., GWS R-4P rcvr. Floats around effortlessly at 1/2 power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11366_7026.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	7633  
Old 05-17-2002, 12:30 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Gorgeous model! Really nice!
I really like the throttle sleeve. While it won't really idle worth a hoot, it sure helps anyway. You can reduce the power enough to keep the plane from climbing constantly or keep it from being totally uncontrollable...
Actually, the sterling A-series of kits are sort of maligned, very, very underrated. The wood was okay, not great, but fine for RC use. Definitely too heavy for rubber! The cutting was alright, not great. Depends when the kit was made. The problem with sterling is they never sharpened their dies...if you get an early run kit, the diecutting is fine, later ones, well, some were pretty bad...
But it is a great design and a great plan, and the vacuformed parts are great. The dummy engine in particular.
There are a TON of nice kits in this series that have a great new lease on life thanks to modern micro radios. They are getting tougher to find, though...
Old 05-17-2002, 12:43 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S.M.A.L.L.

EASYTIGER:

You REALLY need to pack up all those neat planes and come on down to the S.M.A.L.L. event in Little Rock, AR May 31, June 1 & 2! Alan Porter & Stephen Adams flew out from San Francisco last year with a big shipping box full of .020 & .049 bipes and had a ball. Stephen had to make arrangements to have someone bring him some diesel fuel since it wasn't very easy to carry on the airline.

Your planes would be a hit! (Sorry, bad choice of words)
Old 05-17-2002, 12:54 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I know, maybe next year. Work and new baby have definitely put a cramp on my modelling travelling this year...
I want to do some jet rallies this year, too. Can't do everything, alas, but I will be at the VRCS thing on labor day, and the Scientific Musciano in September...