Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

L'il Roughneck

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 09:14 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default L'il Roughneck

Found this in an old American Modeler... April '66. Any one have a plan/templates of the L'il Roughneck by Sterling?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83056.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	83779  
Old 12-20-2003, 12:41 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: L'il Roughneck

I bought a few of the Ringmasters during that time, amazing what you could buy for $1.50 back then.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave Fritzke sells them. He also has plans available for download of the Roughneck too which is a biplane version of the Roughneck.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
Old 12-20-2003, 05:43 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had built one of those from the Sterling kit in 59 with an 02 and a citizenship rcvr and SE2 escapement. The kit was typical sterling too heavy but we did get some flying out of it. Built to modern standards with minature equipment it could be fun.
Aubry Kochman was the designer of this plane. Hope my spelling and memory was right on this one.
At any rate hope to see one of these in the air again. I think it would be a blast. Dennis
Old 12-20-2003, 08:04 PM
machnone
My Feedback: (31)

Dennis. You are correct,the designer was Aubrey Kochman and the construction article was in American Modeler-Nov/Dec 1963.Exactly 40 years ago. The write up shows an RTF weight of" just a wee bit over 6 oz". That was with a Otarion RX and an escapement, and a Cox.010.Where would we be today without those early experimenters?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:14 AM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to rain on anybodies parade here as I am fond of Aubry Kochman's small plane designs. He had quite few for 049 & smaller and they were great.
BUT
Aeromdeller magazine had a very unflattering review of the kit & the Roughneck flying qualities. I would recommend it only for experienced pilots.
Good luck,
Bob G
Old 12-22-2003, 11:14 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing how you lose track of the dates when you did things. I wrote that we did get some flying out of the plane and I have to agree that as a single channel plane it was a handful to fly. I seem to remember the british report on the plane but by that time the model was history to me. Dennis
Old 12-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Rick Lindsey

Hi Bipeflyer, sounds like a cool program! Just out of curiosity, where did you find the Roughneck Too in a non-pdf format? I followed the link in the recent thread and only saw a .pdf version...

---
Whoops... meant to respond in the tile-printer program, but perhaps this is a more appropriate place to ask the question anyways
Old 12-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can excract content from PDF files using a program called GSview which is available from http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get45.htm.

To get a PDF into Tile Print. Open the PDF file in Acrobat, zoom to 100%, click "Edit" > "Select All" (Ctrl-A), then click "Edit" > "Copy" (Ctrl-C). Open Tile Print and click the paste button or click "Edit" > "Paste" (Ctrl-C).

I added a feature to save as a bitmap. See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Prin...1369249/tm.htm for details.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:47 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lookie What I got This Weekend!!

Yep, this Lil Roughneck hopefully will be the bases for a future laser cut kit. Got this little beauty from a gent up north. Still has single channel escapement and tee Dee .010. Built very well.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82987.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	87774