Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I fly 1/2 A glo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 10:06 PM
R/Ckrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I fly 1/2 A glo

This is what I fly/have flown:

The original 1/2a SST.....excellent bird
Global Baby birdy ...very good flyer
Micro Jet,, a MAN plan....flew so fast I had in flight structural failure
Ace Corsair.....flips over on every landing
Working on .049 Fan trainer.....off plans
Working on 1/2a Texaco CORONET

1/2a is awesome!
Joe
Old 05-16-2002, 10:23 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

You are going to love that fan trainer. We got one here with the norvel .61...all I can say is AWESOME !
Brian
Old 05-16-2002, 10:29 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Brian are you running a throttle?
Old 05-17-2002, 01:10 AM
bigbri

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Not me its my pals. And no he is not running a throttle. I am building one myself and I plan to run a throttle.
another thing, he tried that starting method wwith the allen screw and wrench. We found that the screw stripped out before we could even get the norvel started. He made a pully and used a starter belt just like the old shuttle heli's. You will need a good toss for a launch, but the plane gets "on step"quickly and is AWESOME in the air. You will be impressed. We all were!!! Lands easily. He even did a couple of slide and goes of the grass. I cannot wait untill mine is done. It is like a ducted fan without the hassle.
Good luck
Brian

P.S. I can get more info if you like, such as prop selection and I know he made his pully out of a common item, but I forget exactly how. I will not see him untill sunday. Just let me know if interested
B-
Old 05-17-2002, 01:23 AM
bigbri

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

BTW before the Norvel you couldnt get me near a 1/2 A ship because I hated Cox engines that much. That is why my Fan Trainer never got built untill now. Those Norvels are making the small planes fun. Right now I have a Rascal W/Fp 10 that is also a great plane. Put one on your "to do" list. Just wish I had put ailerons on it.
Brian
Old 05-17-2002, 03:33 PM
neversink

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Where could the plans for the 1/2 A Fan Trainer be found? This all sounds terribly interesting!
Thanks - Rich
Old 05-17-2002, 06:53 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

The fan trainer is a Model Airplane News plan.....if I'm not mistaken

It a sleek midwing , the engine is a PUSHER config, and has a ducted fan type cowling.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:21 AM
bigbri

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Correct ! give it a try. The plans show a Cox engine...go with the norvel and watch out !!!!! Careful Rich if you build it you could get addicted to it. When my buddy John flies it everybody lands so they can watch ! It is that cool !
Brian
Old 05-19-2002, 08:17 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default OHHHH YEAAAAA

Spent the day flying the 1/2a Babie Birdie......nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2002, 08:58 PM
MiL

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

wow, the DF sounds really cool, can i see a picture online somewhere? Are the plans available online? What about the fan unit, where are they available?

I always hated trying to get those cox .049's running as well... are the norvel's much easier to start and keep running? If so, why?
Old 05-20-2002, 01:36 AM
neversink

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

The Fan Trainer is listed in the Plans Section of the Jan. 2002 MAN and is on their web store (w/ a small pic) :
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...d=34&catego=PL
Rich
Old 05-20-2002, 12:52 PM
bigbri

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

You do not need a duct unit, You build a hoop out of thin plywood using a round plug (got my plug done for me, for about 20 dollars) mount the engine inside and cut down a standard prop. Really inexpensive fun. Read "cheap ducted fan" and plane is a scale !!!! Plane builds fast looks awesome !!!!!!!!!!!
The Norvels run great and make these small planes fun. I had given up on the small stuff because I hated cox engines. I have to drive an hour to get to my flying field. Now with norvels I can have a great little plane handy to take down the road to my local park. And they are quiet enought to use without everybody calling the cops !!
Brian

P.S. checked out that link above. Go to ducted fan....plans # is fsp 01901......great link, thank you Rich...Lets get a bunch of this fun plane out there !!!!!!!
B-
Old 05-20-2002, 03:40 PM
MiL

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Oh, i see! That's very cool. My dad has a machine lathe so i could make my own plug. I wouldn't think a cut down prop would be efficient enough... then again, 1/2A props are small enough that it probably doesnt have to be cut down very much.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:06 PM
bigbri

Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Correct Mil...... I couldn't believe how well it flew either !
Brian
Old 05-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I fly 1/2 A glo

Pretty interesting thread. I want to throw in an experiment another guy in the club and I are doing with the kyosho t-33 edf. I took the electrics out and he mounted a norvel .061 in the df unit. Had to use 2 dave brown motor mounts, the smallest round one they make. One has the mounts cut off and is used as a spacer. The other faces rearward and holds the .061. He test ran it on a bench and says he got a ton of thrust. I didnt witness it, but I trust his opinion. My task is to adapt the t-33. It was way too enemic as electric. We were planning on making a starting wond like the big boys use.
On the flip side I have a little ugly (30" ws) with a norvel .074. Tons of fun and high pucker factor. My buddy is about to release a EP foam delta for production that runs on the norvel .061. I bought one and got to say I cant wait to get it into the air. This thing is nearly indestructable. He challanged me to damage it, well, being the kind of guy I am, I couldnt let that go unanswered. I crashed it 3 times in 30 minutes. He wouldnt let me fly it any more since he was out of props. Pretty durable. Its gonna be my travel plane. I've seen so many road side rest areas that looked perfect for a quick flight while stretching the legs.
Edwin