Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

GWS RX - any anyone use them

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GWS RX - any anyone use them

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:27 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GWS RX - any anyone use them

I was wondering if anyone has used the GWS line of recivers in there 1/2A golw planes? They spec out at light weight and would seem, on paper, to be a good choice. Is it safe to use a single conversion rx? I'm using a futaba 6xea tx. I'm trying to save some weight with the rx. What do you guys use? I checked the radio fourm but didn't see any suggestions for light recivers.

Thanks,

Darren
Old 12-27-2003, 11:06 AM
matchlessaero

Default RE: GWS RX - any anyone use them

RR, I use the little GWS R4p single conversion reciever in my .010 planes because nothing bigger will fit. However, I would not suggest the single conversion rcvrs for anything that can handle a bigger reciever. The single conversion are prone to glitches and do not reject other signals very well. I have not used their dual conversion, so I don't know how they perform.

If you are wanting to save weight, use either the Hitec 555, or Electron 6. I have been using both of them for some time and had good success with them. (I think several others on the forum have had the same experience).

Some other options might be either the new Berg dual conversion or the FMA direct 5ch dual conversion. I have not tried them, but they appear to be light and all reports I have read were positive.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:12 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the same rx's that matchless uses also in my smallest, lightest planes (.010 and .020). I must echo what he said: they do take hits more often than dual converesion rx's. Not usaually a big problem in my planes because the flight times aren but a couple or three minutes and besides when they crash they usually just bounce. In my larger 1/2a planes (.049 and up) I use JR R-700's. Never received a hit with one that I can recall.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:11 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a GWS 4P that I bought for .010 stuff, but I haven't tried it yet. I like the Hitec 555 or the JR R700 for most 1/2A stuff.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:06 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I am using the same GWS receivers in 3 of my small demo planes. Work quite well with very little trouble. At the last few 1/2A meets down at Raymonds and Deadstik's fields we had several in the air at one time with no apparent hits. Do make sure your transmitter antenna is fully extented before takeoff though!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 12-29-2003, 10:23 AM
goldguy

If you fly at a busy club flying site, don't rely on a GWS or the Hitec Feather RX's.

Yesterday, two of us were both flying with the GWS's at the same time, being the only two in the air and we were getting hits from each other. Yet, I have one in a PBF that works regardless of who else is flying.

I would not take a chance with a screaming 1/2A that's going to get some distance away from th flight line. I had a pilot fly his "E" model in front of my TX using a GWS RX and instantly shot him down, as in a re-kit and smoked in a few myself from what I think was interference using GWS RX's........it certainly wasn't pilot error! (my version of the event)
Old 07-13-2004, 12:34 AM
tomfrank

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

I was wondering if anyone has used the GWS line of recivers in there 1/2A golw planes? They spec out at light weight and would seem, on paper, to be a good choice. Is it safe to use a single conversion rx? I'm using a futaba 6xea tx. I'm trying to save some weight with the rx. What do you guys use? I checked the radio fourm but didn't see any suggestions for light recivers.

Thanks,

Darren
I've used both the GWS 4 channel R4P and newer 4 channel R4PII, and both glitch like hell at half their advertised range. Some work fine, but the two I've had are essentially worthless. On the OTHER hand, the Berg 4 is small, light, and very sophisticated for a single conversion receiver... essentially as reliable as a dual in my opinion. Check it out!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

IMO GWS rx's would be a bad choice in anything that flies faster than 20 mph. They are great for very slow fliers that you won't get very far away from yourself.
If you want an excellent small reciever, look at the Berg line. I have a Berg 5 that's been rock solid, and has performed as good as any of my full size dual conversion rx's
Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
WRX

If you are buying a new receiver get the Hitec Electorn series. If you already have a GWS RX be sure to do a range check. The small receivers that come in the GWS flight packs have a 1000 foot range.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:54 PM
WRX

One more thing, be sure to check prices of a new receiver before purchasing from the Markep place. http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com has JR700 slims for 67.95 new. The hitech run about $38 new.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I have two GWS and three Feather receivers that I have in a pair of Zagis and .010, .020. and .061 powered models. So far so good. Although the way I fly, its hard to tell if I have lost control or not.

However, the most recent receiver purchase I made was the Sky and Technology CRX model. Very impressive specs (see the current MAN ad) but I haven't put it in a model yet. I intended it for combat models since that is the most challenging environment I fly in. But since it only weighs 8.8 grams (what's that 1/3 ounce) it would be suitable for our little birds too.

By the way, the CRX cost $35 and uses anybodies cheap crystals and locks on to your specific xmtr regardless of shift. Kewl.