Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox parts/fuel availability

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox parts/fuel availability

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:50 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox parts/fuel availability

I am building a couple 1/2A CL planes to introduce my son to powered flight, and I have been unable to find the little accesories needed for my cox stuff. I tried to get a glow plug clip, a rebuild kit (#1300), and some cox fuel, but my LHS told me all of it is unavailable. I check Tower, and they no longer have any of these parts either. Does anyone know what's going on at Cox (Estes/Cox)? (I wanted the Cox fuel for the oil content without custom mixing).

Pilgrim
Old 12-30-2003, 10:38 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox parts/fuel availability

Try some Sig champion 35% fuel, it is 1/2 and 1/2 synthetic and castor, enough oil for the cox's.

Glow plug clips can be had at swap meets, there are thousands around, I could possibly find one spare for you... let me have a look.

As for rebuild kits - its cheaper to pick up entire used reed valve engines in running shape for $5 to $10 at swap meets. What parts you need right now? I may also be able to help you...

Andrew J. Coholic "AJC"
Old 12-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tower does not have the Cox starter kit?? It has fuel and a battery holder for 2 D cell batteries. The fuel is too expensive anyway.
You can use the Dubro glow engine clip that has one contact at the top of the glow plug and one contact hooks to the side of the engine. I use Bryon's 1/2 A fuel. I buy it at the local hobby shop.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Lynn S

Here is the starter set without the fuel.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEVD8&P=7

Hobbico 1/2 A fuel...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEPD2&P=M
Old 12-31-2003, 09:36 AM
FlyingPilgrim

Thanks for the replies.
I had previously seen the Cox start-up kit without the fuel for ten bucks at Tower, but I don't want to spend that much just for the two dollar glow clip that I need. They used to carry it (as did my LHS), but everyone is out of stock. I suppose I can pick on up at the Toledo show in a couple months. I think I'll just rig up an alligator clip for now.

I was trying to find the replacement reed valves for rebuilds. I ended up getting some of the Teflon reeds from Davis Diesel Products- have any of you tried them? They claim higher rpm from using the Teflon. I'll find out soon.

As for the fuel, I looked at Norvel 1/2A, which my LHS stocks, but it has only 18% oil. I saw the Hobbico at Tower, but could not tell the oil content. I'll try to find some of that Sig that ajcoholic talked about.

Thanks again fellows!

Pilgrim
Old 12-31-2003, 12:57 PM
ajcoholic

I am pretty sure the Sig fuel is 20% oil. Will check on that....

AJC
Old 12-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: FlyingPilgrim

As for the fuel, I looked at Norvel 1/2A, which my LHS stocks, but it has only 18% oil. I saw the Hobbico at Tower, but could not tell the oil content. Pilgrim
I would suggest the NFX 15% fuel from www.Hobbypeople.net . I found it has 20% pure castor, works well and price is good. The others (25%, 35%) also work well, the 35% looks to have A small ammount of Synth.. oil. Good for the Cox motors !
Remby
Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 AM
jdwardus
My Feedback: (2)

i have had problems finding any thing for my 1/2a planes ever sence i started messing with them. i have 3 hobby shops within my reach and they have nothing for them. a few odds and ends.i have to order every thing. i would like to start my own hobby shop. and carry nothing but 1/2a stuff.i have fell in love with the little planes.and allmost lost enterest in the bigger ones.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Lynn S

I noticed today that my local hobby shop had over 20 Cox starter sets WITH fuel. Discount Hobbies, Jackson, TN
Old 01-04-2004, 09:32 AM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

I am pretty sure the Sig fuel is 20% oil. Will check on that....

AJC
The Sig Champion 35% is indeed 20% oil, 1/2 synth and 1/2 castor
Old 01-04-2004, 04:26 PM
paulcarnes

I like the Sig 25% and I got the last two quarts from Tower.

I have a Medallon .15 that I may stick on a Sig Wonder soon. I only have three glow heads left and can't find any more. Has anyone seen them or do I need to start drilling and tapping?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:01 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Hey Paul, you got 3 left and are startin' to sweat already? You better back off on the nitro or compression, eh? I have one .15 head somewhere but I think it's a Medallion.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:34 PM
FlyingPilgrim

Well, after I gave up on finding the cox fuel, I just bought some Sig Castor Oil and added it to my Omega 25% fuel. Seems to work fine. I added half an ounce to 16 oz of the Omega, which should plenty. I ended up using an alligator clip for the glow head hook-up since I couldn't find the Cox clip. It worked fine.

Pilgrim
Old 01-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Lynn S

Here is a handy Add Oil Only calculator on this nitro car website.

select ... Custom Fuel Blending Workshop then go to the bottom of the page and click the add oil only button.

http://www.nitrorc.com/
Old 01-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: Lynn S
Here is a handy Add Oil Only calculator on this nitro car website.
select ... Custom Fuel Blending Workshop then go to the bottom of the page and click the add oil only button.
http://www.nitrorc.com/
Lnnn, I have a small Fuel Mix applet that I think is easier to use and more general. Would like to share it with the group but don't know how to attach, or where to post.
Help anyone?
Al
Old 01-05-2004, 02:39 AM
MR Flyer57

What form is the applet in?
If it is a .exe, maybe one of the guys with a site will post it.
MR Flyer57
Old 01-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: MR Flyer57

What form is the applet in?
If it is a .exe, maybe one of the guys with a site will post it.
MR Flyer57
Yes it is an .exe, however it does require one library file (Vbrun300.dll) which is included. I reverted back to VB3 to keep it short and simple, no fancy installation required.
al
Old 01-09-2004, 04:15 AM
peterbennett

I'm a complete newbie. Is this the type of fuel that this helicopter (see file) would use? What ancilliary kit do you need to fly it, tether/control wire? , battery power source to make a glow plug hot enough to ignite the fuel? Do they just run flat out unitl the fuel is exhausted? Do you use a prop/rotor starter, can this be done manually.

Thanks for any tips.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17842.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	88935  
Old 01-09-2004, 02:17 PM
MR Flyer57

Hi Peterbennett,
I have a few of those, in various stages of decomposition. What you have there is a free-flight helo, hard to tell, but I think it is a newer .049 sized copy.

It looks like it is all there, and should be able to run with just a start up kit and a propeller (if it is missing).
If you do need a prop, use a 6px3d plastic prop. (for a .049 engine)

You will need a least a bottle of fuel with some way to get it into the tank, a battery and a glow clip.

You might also need a .049 wrench, glow head and somebody to chase the thing.

You can fly for a very long time without the wrench or glow head. I have just been able to fuel and fly over and over, and if luck is in your favor you should be able to do the same.

They have cox brand fuel in a little can with a small plastic tube, or you can get some norvel 25% fuel or just about any 25% nitro fuel will work. You will need to get a fuel bulb (you could make the fuel bulb) or a syringe for the fueling. I use a large syringe and a dulled needle for fueling mine. (got it at the ranchers store, its for giving shots to cows.

I see you are from the United Kingdom, and I believe that nitro is not easily found there, mostly because it isn't used as much as on this side of the pond. (at least that is my impression) But the right fuel should be available if you look and ask around.

The battery needs to be 1 1/2 volts, two of the standard "D" size hooked together will do. (make sure when you hook them up they remain 1 and 1/2 volts)
The clip is the part you will have to come up with, just ask around and you will come up with one. A clip can be made easily if you can't find one. The clip is used to hook the wires comming from the battery to the right parts of the glow plug. If there is any radio control activity in your area or a hobby shop of any kind they will be able to help you with all of this stuff.

With a little luck the glow plug is still ok and the thing will kick over with just the items listed above.

I will leave it here, when you get the Fueling stuff and the battery/clip together you will most likely have found someone who can give you some hands on help.

If not just post this site or PM me and I will walk you through the other parts of making this thing fly, like setting the engine ,blades, and checking or changing the glow plug, and also how and when to let it go. If you can not get some of the things you need, I can also help you find or build them.

The free-flights are easy and fun so don't be discouraged, and ask around the hobby shops for any body who is in to radio control or free-flight airplanes.

What you have is a free-flight, so just as the name implies, you will have to find a large open spot to fly it in, and be sure to use only part of a tank of fuel on the first flights. If you fill the tank all the way up and let it go, it will really fly high and far. Start with lower and shorter flights until you have an idea what it is going to do.

Mr Flyer57
Old 01-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Lynn S

One of those turkey baster syringes works nice to measure fuel. They have a needle but you can slip the fuel line over the tip and not use the needle.
They should be in the cook ware section in stores. Walmart has one that is called Down Home Cookin Marinade Injector. It has two marks ... at 1/2oz and 1 oz.