Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New Guillows Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 08:49 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guillows Kits

Has anyone built one of the new lazier cut Guillows kits? I looked at one and the cut parts looked excelent. Same old stickwood, but that is easy to replace.

Jess
Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM
MR Flyer57

Default RE: New Guillows Kits

I have been buying them and getting ready to try to convert them, but I couldn't tell just by looking which ones were better. I do know that I often discard the balsa, and replace it with the hardness that I think will do the job a little better.
MR Flyer57
Old 01-07-2004, 03:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

With all of the model plane companies that have come and gone over the years, it's interesting that an outfit like GUILLOWS has survived. I would be more interested in their stuff if they would substitute the balsa for cardboard templates. It's nice to hear that they are cutting parts with a lazer now. They must have bought several freight train loads of crappy wood 50 years ago, and are still chiseling kits out of the same junk! I converted their FW 190 to foam. With a stationary hot wire set up like a bandsaw. The balsa ribs and formers I transferred to formica. Then you sandwich a block of foam between neighbor templates and hot wire it out. 3M77 holds it all together. The trick is alignment, so it is good to take a sharp marker and make reference lines before you cut out the rough blocks. To hollow out the fuse, don't glue more than a couple formers together at a time, and just drop a hot music wire through, then hog it out free hand till you got 1/4" thick walls. The end result looks great, to finish you can use tissue and water base polyU on the foam. 1/8" carbon kite rod imbedded in the wing, and a 1/8" ply firewall is the only strengthening needed. I've always wanted to meet somebody who would spend the time necessary to finish one of their kits, then turn it loose on rubber power! I probably could turn one loose after seeing it hanging in the shop for 10 years, or so.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:58 PM
jessiej

[ I've always wanted to meet somebody who would spend the time necessary to finish one of their kits, then turn it loose on rubber power!]

Then the next time I am up your way perhaps we can meet!

The LAST time I come to Arlington I will stay-a long, long time.

It has been years since I flew a Guillows scale model on rubber, but they can be made to look and fly quite well. Scale is not my thing so I doubt I will try one of the new lazier kits though. About 15 years ago I watched a fellow from North GA fly a beautifully built rubber powered Guillows P-38. To my total amazement it flew great. He had carved RH & LH props (counter-rotating as per original, and it had a most scale-like straight away climb, settling into a left glide. The bigest trick it seemed to me was streach wing the two motors (in opposite directions!) and the launch.

Jess
Old 01-07-2004, 05:07 PM
jessiej

[With all of the model plane companies that have come and gone over the years, it's interesting that an outfit like GUILLOWS has survived.]

It is interesting and kinda nice to see a survivor. aside from the countless kit manufacturers that have vanished, just look at the dozens and dozens of model engine manufacturers who have faded into the past. I have a modest engine collection which includes some 1/2 a's. When I get up a burst of energy (rare) I will count the number of defunct 1/2 a examples (American) I have. (Sigh) I also miss the wide variety of motorcycle brands I enjoyed in my misspent youth.

Jess
Old 01-09-2004, 10:00 PM
combatpigg

HI JESS! I don't doubt that they fly great, I am fascinated that there are people willing to spend so many hours getting one looking just right, then letting go with an 020 running FULL BLAST! If you pick up a model magazine from 20 years ago, half of the advertisers are no longer with us, from 30 years ago, even fewer. I think GUILLOWS secret was making their kits within the price range of a birthday party gift, or something that a kid with a paper route could try. I don't think you can count on just the hard core modelers to keep a company like this going, they have to be able to get on the drug store and toy store shelves. Those original dies and that original purchase of substandard wood sure paid for themselves over the years! The last time I looked at the price of one of their kits, I had to do a double take, and my eyes rolled so far back in their sockets, I could almost see my brain!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Lynn S

The artwork on the boxes has also helped sell the planes. They must use the same artist as the plastic kits.
My Spitfire (built in the late 60s)didn't quite look like the one on the box when finished.
I found a supplier of rubber powered kits that are neat to look through.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/amd.htm
Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 PM
combatpigg

HI LYNN S! Thanks for the link. You're right about the artwork,[on the GUILLOWS boxes] it's outstanding! Advertising, even if it's only on a store shelf is crucial. I'm was amazed at how crudely ACE would market their stuff, and felt that it contributed to their troubles. Other companies stand to learn something about the power of packaging. Do you remember a guy named BRIAN BOSWORTH? He was all about packaging[The SEAHAWKS signed him for $10 MILLION, that worked out to about $100,00 per play that he was ever involved in]!