Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Need a few pointers on radio stuff.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Need a few pointers on radio stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 PM
MR Flyer57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a few pointers on radio stuff.

Hi everyone,

I am getting into the 1/2A contest, and believe it or not, I really don't know that much about the radio setups.
I have been flying larger planes for a long time, but the new batteries, receivers and servos have me running in circles.

I have a new futaba 9 channel computer radio ( had it a year and used it twice). I got it to bypass the herd of radios that I have acquired through the years, and want to use it to fly all my planes.

There is a growing list of stuff I have been getting for 1/2A and smaller, but I don't know if they have enough toque and if they are compatible with gas flight.

I have read that park flyers are much less demanding on equipment and therefor can use smaller and more fragile stuff. I bought stuff and later read the pros and cons about the servos and wanted to know what people here think. Is there a "too small", and have I gone too small with the Hitec HS 50's?

I would like to know A. What small rx would you recommend,
B. Which rx battery set up
C. which micro servos

The idea is to make them work with the transmitter that I have and to have a rx/battery/servo combo that is compatible, light but strong enough to do the job. I have other servos, some are shown it the other picture. Would any of those examples be a better choice?

I am thinking of using this servos and transmitter, and battery combo. (see picture)
Is this a viable combo, or would something else be worth buying?

Thanks for all your input.

MR Flyer57
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14003.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	87178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69737.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	87179  
Old 01-02-2004, 10:45 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need a few pointers on radio stuff.

For most of my planes, I have used the Hitec HS 80, and newer HS 81 servos. I have also used the futaba 133's and the servos that you have there should be fine.

For my latest plane, the little 020 ugly stick, I used Hitec HS 55's for the first time. They are fast and enough torque for that size plane, but I personally wouldnt use them (excpet for throttle) on a larger plane powered by a hotter 049 or 061. Unless it was a floater...

As for receivers, I have quite a few Hitec 555's, and also three JR 600/700 mini receivers. They are all full range receivers, as is the Hitec electron, unlike the feather you have which is not as far a range and not dual conversion. I would personally not use it on a larger plane you may take up higher or farther out than the safe range, but again for something small that you have to keep close in anyway I bet it would be OK.

MY pick right now for buying anything new is the HItec HS 81, and HS 55 servos, and the electron 6 or JR 600 receiver. I have one of the mini Expert Electronics micro receivers in my little stick, and I got it used for 1/2 price (unused private sale) I will have to use it for a while before I say what I think, but it is working fine.

As for batteries, I am stuck on 250mah nicad packs and I used a 110mah in my little stick. I know I know.... I have to start using the lighter weight NimH packs....

Them's my opinions on 1/2A radio gear!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:59 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Hi! I wouldn't use the feather in glow stuff. the best deal is to buy a hitec micro flight pack, has 3 hs-81 servos, 270 pack, 555 micro receiver and switch for 105 bucks, tower and everyone else sells them. you need a crystal, extension, and a fourth servo if you want 4 channel; a submicro is good for that, hs-55 or so. that is about the least expensive, and the hs-81's are robust enough for larger stuff, up to 25 size. hitec is coming out with a new electron flight pack that has an electron 6 receiver, and their new tiny hs-56top/side mount servos, but they are not out quite yet; when they are available, I'm getting one! you can see it on their website at www.hitecrcd.com
Old 01-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MR Flyer57 --

I have several Hitec Electron 6's and a couple of Hitec Micro 555's. The Electron 6 is a little lighter with an extra channel (although 6 channels is overkill). I use HS-81's for most surfaces and the HS-55 for throttle. I generally use the 270 mAh flat pack although the new NiMh packs give more capacity per oz.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2004, 03:07 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A second vote for not using the Feather in anything fast or long ranged. I have one that I'm using for slow parkflying and even when I'm the only guy flying I still get the odd glitch with it.

I got my first Hitec 555 last year and after 30+ flights in my Mini Reb I'm sold. Great reciever with not a single glitch so far.

If you can find a deal on the older 535 receivers they are nice as well. Not as small but fine for 1/2A.

In truth you can even use the 9 ch big receiver as long as you back it up with a small battery pack and some of those '33 Futabas and HS85 Hitec servos. The weight penalty of the receiver only is minimal as long as you have the small stuff attached to it. The physical size may be an issue if you're making a slilm model though.

The HS50's are fine for a slow flier but for a speedster I'd stay with the higher torque options for fllight controls. Throttle would be fine of course.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:19 AM
MR Flyer57

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't know much about Hitec, and I am looking for info on the 555 receiver.

It does look like I went to far in my quest for small and light with the feather light receiver. I did some reading and it looks like it should stay with the park flyers and the indoor folks.

I am going to get some new stuff, and the flight pack using the Hitec Electron set up looks like a winner.

I also am looking into some HS-81s, but I really don't know which is which right now. Looks like it is time to hit the books again. (the catalogs).

The one thing I really don't seem to have spelled out is the batteries. I have used AAAs with no problem using nicads and even standard non-rechargeable dry cells.

Because of the extra power rating, I was trying to use 2/3 AAA size NiMhs.

Even though they seem to have the rated power, I have had problems with them and have been looking into ways to charge and check them to insure they are going to do the job.

What physical size batteries do you guys use ( AAA or 2/3 AAA)?. Which flavor (nicad or NiMh)? and what is the is the mAh rating you feel safe with? Also how many cells do you guys use in the packs?

Thanks again,
MR Flyer57
Old 01-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like some of the other guys, I wouldn't use the feather RX on a 1/2A plane. The 133s are fine and the HS85s are more than enough. I wouldn't use the HS50 on anything larger than a relatively slow 10oz plane or throttle.

For an RX, I like the Hitec 555 or JR700. The Electron looks good too, but I haven't tried one. I've had a JR610 and an Expert Electronics R650, neither of which would range check more than 20 feet. It seems to be hit and miss with the 610 and 650, some are fine and some aren't.

My favourite servos are HS81s. I've used them for everything from 1/2A up to the ailerons, one per side, on .25 and .40 size planes. I like an HS50 or HS55 on the throttle to save a bit of weight.

I like to buy a Hitec Micro Flight Pack. It comes with a 555 RX & crystal, 3 HS-81 servos, 270mAh NiCad and switch harness. I usually buy an HS55 for the throttle. Recently I've been replacing the battery pack with a NiMh pack. Even with the battery substitution the flight pack costs a lot less than buying everything separately.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:43 AM
MR Flyer57

Good straight advice as always Bipe.

I am convinced that this is the way to go. I will sneak the money by the war department and see if I can get a new setup for my 1/2A project.

I have it narrowed down, but man it is weird to be able to white sheet a project, and just start with anything you can think of!!
MR Flyer57
Old 01-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

MR,

My 2 cents would be to buy a whole new radio set. The Hitec Neon with the Electron 6 Rx, 2 HS-81's, Tx NiCD's etc. is only $103 from Tower. You can get a Rx pack from Radical RC for almost nothing and it will still be less than just buying a flight pack plus you could sell the Tx since you wouldn't need it.

Later,
Tim
Old 01-03-2004, 03:08 PM
MR Flyer57

Hi Tim Wiltse,
I can't find anybody who has used the Electron 6 Rx, and the description says it is almost 8 inchs long!! I know that has to be wrong, but because it is wrong I can't get a handle on how big it really is.
Have you used one, if so how did you like it. Is this the newer version of the small radio RX? and are they going to faze out the 555?
MR Flyer57
Old 01-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

The Electron 6 is 1.8"x 0.9"x 0.6". Where did you read that is it almost 8" long?

Here's the info on the 555
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/micro555.htm

Electron 6
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/electron6.htm
Old 01-03-2004, 04:22 PM
MR Flyer57

I found the size misprint on the Hitec site

http://www.hitecrcd.com/ Tryed it and just got to the site, use the Electron 6 Flight Pack
tab on the left list of items

take a look at it, 7.8 inches long
Old 01-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Bipe Flyer

That's quite a whopping misprint.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM
MR Flyer57

Ya I knew it was wrong, but I didn't know what the real size was, thank for your help again Bipe!!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:57 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll agree with what everyone has said re: HX81s and 555 Rx. I use a 300 mah NiMH pack from racical RC - ~ US$ 13 if I remeber right. I think that included the Futaba connector, if not, they are a $2.00 option. Shipping is usually very quick. I have three of these, one flat and two square packs, use one each in my 2X4 Texaco, Norvell .074 powered HOB Spacewalker, 2 Meter Spirit Sailplane
Old 01-03-2004, 08:38 PM
MR Flyer57

Has anyone tried the Electron 6?
I was hoping that it would be something that could be used in a larger size plane later down the road. I like the 555 but would like to try the Electron 6 and see how it works.
I can't even find a place that will ship the Electron 6 right now, I haven't checked everywhere but tower and omnimodels don't have them, and the Hitec site will just give you an address for a dealer.
MR Flyer57
Old 01-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Tower lists them as in stock?????

Later,
Tim
Old 01-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Bipe Flyer

Servocity.com has them in stock. You could also try http://www.greathobbies.com
Old 01-03-2004, 11:56 PM
MR Flyer57

I'm sorry,
I couldn't find a flight pack with the Electron 6, but maybe I was just looking in the wrong place.
Thanks all
Old 01-04-2004, 02:08 AM

I have 3 of the electron 6's. They have all the range you will need even for bigger planes. Of course the biggest I got is a 40 size and my eye site isn't that good. I have yet to have a single glitch in any of mine. My only complaint is that they are a little blocky for 1/2 A size. The plugs go in at 90 degrees. The case it self is not that big, but once you plug in the servos you end up with a blocky L shape that doesn't fit some planes very well.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:58 AM
MR Flyer57

Just the kind of insite I was looking for Loading! Thank you for your response. I may still go with them for the extra channels, but the 555s are looking like the ones to beat.

MR Flyer57
Old 01-04-2004, 04:41 AM

Ill probably get a few bad replies from this, but Ill tell you anyway. My current most fun 1/2 A plane uses a cheap GWS 6N single conversion RX. Of course its just a cheap GWS mustang with a Norvel .061 in it, but I couldn't seem to fit any other RX in there, so I went with what was in there when it was still electric. This thing flat out moves with the Norvel, my buddy has the original E-Mustang and I can fly circles around him. Anyway, its kinda funny that with the ESC and Electric motor I used to get glitches all the time, but as soon as I converted it to glow, I haven't had glitch yet. Of course this is a small plane, so I havn't ever let it get too far away, but it is much faster than it used to be, so it does get out a ways. Another factor may be that I live out in the boondocks, so I don't ussually need to compete with other RCer's.

By the way, my sister in-law lives in Elko and we where just there for Thanksgiving. So, I know that you can't have that much interferance from other people either. There just aren't that many people in Elko.

Anyway, use single conversion RX's at your own risk. But, the funny part is, that you almost need to use them for e-type planes, which with their esc's and motors cause the most interferance.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

MR Flyer57 I have three of the 555's and six of the electron 6's and have no problem w/ any of them.
The electrons are about the same price but are six channel and lighter- as far as the plug style they are both the same ( from the top ) so go w/ the electron setup. Hobby Horse has the flight packs w/ servos etc. or contact me for a local shop that can get them for you. Dale [email protected]
Old 01-04-2004, 12:41 PM
cranky1

Two Cents worth.
Hitec 555 RX
Hitec HS81 or Hobico CS12
Old 01-04-2004, 03:02 PM
MR Flyer57

More Great stuff,
Thank you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.