Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Placement.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fuel Tank Placement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Placement.

Hey Guys, Sorry I've been away awile. Hope things are going well with y'all

Heres my question:

The Mig-21 is almost done. but I am getting anal about some stuff, especially the tank placement.

I have mounted the tank directly behind the firwall. As such, I am worried about performance changes with differing fuel load. Remember this is a very long nosed craft. I have been thinking that i should pull the tank and move it closer to the C/G. I have plenty of room under the front half of the wing on the center line. Moving the tank will require longer fuel lines, and I dont know how this will affect performance. Sooooo...

what do y'all think? leave tank where it is?
Move tank closer to c/g?
will this change performance one way or the other?

Just an update, It looks like she will come out at approx 18 oz. With the 061 she should scoot.
Man I wish I could use her for the design contest, but I have been working on her since Aug.
I have to think of something easy of the contest. I have sort of used up all my creative insperation on the mig-21 I think.

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Fuel Tank Placement.

I don't think the tank placement will hurt you much. my ferroplanes have 2 oz. round sullivans in a 6" long nose, and the c.g. change is negligent on them. a buddy of mine put a 2 oz. dubro in one at l.e. of wing and a battery in front of that in one, fuel draw was fine on an 061, but it always stuttered on the hand launch; I think the G's from tossing did that.

18 oz. is great, it should fly fine! if in doubt, use an oz. of fuel at first, and go from there. hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Digger-RCU

Thanks for the good words Fred, I think I will leave the tank where it is in nose of the fuse.

Unless, anyone here (like Dickey, matchless, Aj, Bipeflyer, or any other scratch builder) thinks that is a bad idea.

I expect to have pictures of the Dig-Mig shortly.

thanks again.

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

balance empty and a bit of nose weight at the start of the flight wont hurt anything. I would rather have a bit of a trim change during the flight persoanlly, than an engine that doesnt run right due to trying to pull fuel too far for a consistant run the whole tank. Just my two bits...

Migs are awesome.

AJC
Old 01-07-2004, 08:27 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

balance empty and a bit of nose weight at the start of the flight wont hurt anything. I would rather have a bit of a trim change during the flight persoanlly, than an engine that doesnt run right due to trying to pull fuel too far for a consistant run the whole tank. Just my two bits...
(Insert the obligatory Budweiser "True" here. )
Old 01-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Digger-RCU

There we go, you guys are the Stuff!!!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 01-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

Ditto