Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Midway Models 50" Powerhouse!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Midway Models 50" Powerhouse!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:58 PM
dgliderguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midway Models 50" Powerhouse!

Thought you guys would like to see my latest creation, a 50" Powerhouse from the Cal Aero line. BTW, does anyone know if Cal Aero bought out Midway Models, or vice versa? The kit was a pleasure to build-- took me two whole weeks!

Enya .09TV-IV, 24 oz AUW, HS81 servos, Monokote transp red and Ultracote Lite transp violet, no kit mods needed. Flies GREAT, thermals like a Gentle Lady. My favorite flight profile is a few touch n goes and some loops and wingovers, then full throttle to 500 feet, and kill the engine. Any lift encountered on the way down will be dealt with handily!

Don Bailey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45179.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	90556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84087.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	90557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63624.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	90558  
Old 01-14-2004, 04:07 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Midway Models 50" Powerhouse!

Nice....

That profile is pretty much what I do with my 84 inch 35 powered Flamingo. Old Timers CAN be fun.

Oh, you forgot about the 30 foot control line circles around your head with you in the center. Or the low and slow flybys at shoulder height and about 10 feet away from you. I know the lawyers would have a fit at that idea and it certainly doesn't fit into the new field regs but it was great fun in the past.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:00 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

She's a beauty!! Sal Taibi really got it right with this one.

Have you seen any more of these kits around? I'd love one.

The Powerhouse is probably my favourite old-timer design. I have a 1/2a one from the Klarich kit, about 42" span with MPJet .040 Classic for power. Best flying model I have. The current dream is a full size Powerhouse done up in 50's hot rod style - black metallic covering, gold pinstriping, flames - powered by a Saito Gold Knight
Old 01-15-2004, 10:42 AM
dgliderguy

John,

You can contact the kit maker, Bob Sliff, directly at

[email protected] Regular (snail) mail is: Bob Sliff's Model Service, P.O. Box # 9, Midway City, CA 92655 (949) 722-7145 Phone

I believe he is making his line of kits again. I found mine on Ebay, for about $35.

Bruce,

I envy you the Flamingo! It's been on my "Must Do One Day" list for many years. A beautiful ship, no doubt. I understand Klarich still offers a partial kit of this one. Care to share a few piccies of yours for us Oldtimer fans?

Don
Old 01-15-2004, 12:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI DON! I saw you maiden voyage it out at NIMITZ, and it flew like you had it pumped full of helium! Those photos don't do it justice, it sure is a great little plane!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:42 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Ah yes. I found Bob Sliff's website at http://home.comcast.net/~bsli40/cover.html and the Series 50 Powerhouse is listed!

Thanks for that Don.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:11 PM
The Ris

Thanks a ton for the info on Bob Sliff. Been looking for O.T. info for a while. Building a 38 1/2" son of Quaker from RCM plans(#670). putting a Tee Dee .020 in. Calls for rudder only but I'm going to put elevator in also. Love the Powerhouse. The Ris
Old 04-21-2020, 02:49 PM
RyanNX211

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one from that kit as a kid in about 1985. I differed from the original in that the kit came with flat bottomed ribs. Mine had an OS .10 in a Tatone tankmount. I think the longest flight I got was almost an hour.
In 1987, I followed up with a full size Powerhouse built from the old Champion kit. It featured things like milled longerons and a prelaminated stab LE. Then, they blew it with worm ridden smash cut ribs. Fortunately, they had extras.

The instructions advised dropping the dihedral by half which I ignored and was grateful after seeing others try to fly Powerhouses with lowered dihedrals.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:23 PM
dgliderguy

Hi, Tom! Yeah, I'm flying an 84" Powerhouse now, having sold my old 50" PH way back in 2008. This big guy is powered by a Magnum XL52 four-stroker, which is a good match. Be glad you didn't reduce the dihedral. Not only does it not make for a better plane, the Powerhouse just doesn't look as good with a flatter wing. Let old timers be old timers, I say.