Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A refreshing change= 1/2A

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A refreshing change= 1/2A

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:43 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A refreshing change= 1/2A

While my son and I mostly fly giant scale I am always in the giant scale areas of RCU, especially in the forums. Dealing with these other giant scale oriented guys is OK but some of them seem to have that legend in thier own mind or I know more than you attitude, but for the most part they're OK. Christmas my son bought me a Wattage pitts, which is one of the coolest little planes I've ever seen. I was seeking some info on converting the Wattage Pitts to gas, and found plenty of info and help in the 1/2A, 1/8A forum, which prompted me to purchase a Norvel .074 which looks awesome tucked away inside the cowl. What impresses me most is the way everybody in the 1/2A, 1/8A forum treat each other, and the pride they take in the little gems they model. Showing pictures, sharing info, there's something special about a guy talking so proudly about his 1/2A creation, I just can't put my finger on it, but it's a great feeling. I've been modeling airplanes since 1958 and started into R/C in 1972, but I've always loved every aspect of the hobby, from free flight to R/C to control line, etc,etc. Once in a while we get a newbie in our club that looks down on the control line guy, or the guy that strictly models 1/2A R/C thinking he's not good enough to fly the big stuff, and I caught myself trying to convince him that it is his(the newbie's) lack of knowledge that is the problem. I must admit in the beginning of RCU I never really went into the 1/2 A forums, but now I'm hooked, and I will always have my share of 1/2A R/C aircraft. Thank you guys.
Frank A Rega
Old 01-14-2004, 09:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: A refreshing change= 1/2A

HI FRANKFLYBOY! Those were nice things you said about this forum, and the people in it. When I first got introduced to 1/2A RC through commercially available kits, mostly ACE RC, it was so-so, but not all that thrilling. Nowadays with lighter gear, you can get thrilling performance out of a COX .049 on an 8oz plane, or fly 3D with a 12oz plane with an .061. The .07 I haven't tried yet, but everyone says that the NORVEL is great. The advice I got on their breakin is to pull off the head and backplate, oil it up real good, and spin the thing until the oil gets dark, rinse, then repeat till the oil stays clean. I have dabbled with large planes, but it's getting harder to find space for them. I also had to ask myself if I found them any more fun than the little ones, and after doing the plus and minus math, 1/2A is more fun for me because I love to build from scratch, and 10 bucks goes a long way in 1/2A. And you haven't lived till you've flown 1/2A combat towing 30' crepe paper streamers! If this interests you, I've got plans and short kits available for COMBAT![X(]!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:02 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Welcome to the forum Frank! We're a varied and (at times) unusual bunch of guys but we have a lot of fun and you won't find a more innovative group of hobbyists anywhere. There's always that frugal thing as well. I like the fact that you can dream up a concept; then design and build it with an .049/.061 for about what a good 22x10 prop would cost!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: frankflyboy1

What impresses me most is the way everybody in the 1/2A, 1/8A forum treat each other, and the pride they take in the little gems they model.
Welcome Frank --

The posters in this forum represent a wealth of information and each time I visit I come away with something useful -- the only downside is that I also come away feeling extremely inadequate. The Canadian boys and the Tennessee Mafia do things with models that you would not believe -- and they're only a small portion of the excellent modelers.

The other characteristic of this forum is the easy going nature of the participants -- no flames, no "holier than thou", no name calling. Ask a question and you will get several informed and well thought out answers.

It makes for superb reading.

The "other" Andrew
Old 01-14-2004, 09:43 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Andrew

ORIGINAL: frankflyboy1

What impresses me most is the way everybody in the 1/2A, 1/8A forum treat each other, and the pride they take in the little gems they model.
the easy going nature of the participants -- no flames, no "holier than thou", no name calling.
I don't know Andrew, when the Evil Coxists and the Nasty Norvelites get wound up, you better hide the women & children; it gets pretty vicious!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:53 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to 1/2a Frank, if your not too far up into Va. one of the bigger swap meets in NC is in Burlington,NC on saturday the 24th of jan.. come on down for it...Rog
Old 01-14-2004, 10:02 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Well Frank- even here, you will find the little redneck boy in Ms. that buys and fabricates all his airplane parts from Walmart! Welcome
Old 01-14-2004, 11:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They ARE a pretty neat bunch aren't they. Before I started reading here I thought I'd sort of got over the 1/2A bug other than the odd time when I would feel the urge to return to my roots. But these guys are INFECTIOUS and I find myself coming back to how the Best Things In Life Come In Small Packages.....

I can't help thinking that it's because most of the guys here fly the big stuff as well and do the small ones because they WANT to and not because they percieve it as being cool. Not often but often enough it seems like some of the other phases of the hobby fall prey to that syndrome.

Hope you make this a regular stop. And hey, it's still not too late to get in on the Design Contest. Sounds like a PERFECT father and son sort of thing to do. Check it out!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:12 PM
cranky1

Welcome Frank, I have been around the horn with this hobby. spent some time involved in the model expo in Iowa. The WWII re-enactment that Byron originals had in Ida Grove. Was involved in the show when it moved to Ankeny Iowa. Have a lot of friends that own and fly 80" birds. Some of those guys race 1/2A with us in the winter. They claim it keeps them on their toes and helps keep the skill level up. I think they like hanging out with the 1/2A guy's. it's pretty much all that goes on around here in the off season. Man what a wealth of knowledge they have. One of the guys that comes out to watch the racing used to design some of Byrons jet models. Just an all around good bunch. I know from where you come.
I have been very impressed with the kind of knowledge I found here and invite you to join in our fun often. The whole group here has made me feel right at home. I think the difference is that these guys have nothing to prove to any one, and have graduated to sharing their knowledge and experience with each other. All in an effort to make positive things happen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98684.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	90671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31856.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	90672  
Old 01-14-2004, 11:18 PM
airega1

This is what I'm talking about guys, I posted only about 2 hrs ago and already 7 replies, YOU GUYS ARE OK!

Frank

PS Hey Rog, I'll try to make the Burlington swap meet, maybe we can meet.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Lynn S

Frank, You are right, not once has anyone told me to shut up about my LS150.
Good luck with your conversion. Remember to keep it close when you do fly. The little planes can get hard to see very quickly.This forum proves you don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun.
Be sure to post some pictures of your Pitts.
Do you have the engine already mounted?

Lynn
Old 01-15-2004, 01:09 AM
airega1

Hey Lynn shut up! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO GOTTA HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. Thank you for the flight advice, and I do have the engine mounted and will post some pics with and without the cowl. This Norvel .074 is so light I'm going to be tail heavy for sure, so I'm going with a 4oz tank and a little Nickel metal pack from my son's Radio shack waste of money phantom look a like, I will have to remove 2 cells to get 4.8.
Thanks again
Frank
Old 01-15-2004, 02:03 AM
MR Flyer57

Hello frankflyboy1,

I like so many here, have been around the horn with this hobby. Speaking only for myself, I thought I had reached the end of the hobby. I made the mistake of taking a look at this forum and got hooked in a big way.
I don't want to raise egos any higher than I have to, but these are some of the greatest guys I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Andrew hit the nail on the head when he talked about helping each other out, and sharing information without the sermon on the mount attitude. There are brilliant craftsmen here by the handfuls, and each of them are fine, decent, helpful folks, who will take the time to answer questions.

If your not careful you will be receiving things in the mail that will leave you in debt to these guys, and it seems that you will have a heck of a time catching up with them. (some of the Tennessee Mafia tactics that all have learned)

I have flown large scale, and other than that $1000 sick feeling when something goes bad, there is nothing there that I haven't found here. Each facet of this hobby has its own draw and almost all the interests can be found here.

The craftsmanship is just what you make it, but there is no Egos on the loose here (at least that I have found) and flying these little guys can be as tricky and anything made.
This is truly a great time to be in this hobby!

Another little known fact is that this site has a money back guarantee, or is that a tail light guarantee!! Oh well build, fly and be happy!!

MR Flyer57
Old 01-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like all aspects of the hobby and I really love 1/2A, but if it's the great bunch of guys in this group that keeps me interested in this forum.

This Norvel .074 is so light I'm going to be tail heavy for sure, so I'm going with a 4oz tank...

That'll be fun, you could fly for half an hour on that much fuel.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-15-2004, 07:42 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys said it all, allready!

Great guys, allways there to assist one in need, and more "real" knowlwdge than in any other discipline I participate in (prett much everything too, except for sailplanes) and very very few "egos" that need stroking. Those guys dont seem top hang around too long and go back to Jets or something else

This is pretty much the only place on RCU I am active in anymore, and I dont think that will change soon. Its awesome here!!

AJC
Old 01-15-2004, 09:47 AM
airega1

ATTENTION ALL YOU COXISTS! A friend of mine that recently left the area left me a coffee can of all types of cox cylinders, cases, pistons, tanks, etc. I never realized that there are different types of porting in various cylinders. One day my son had nothing to do and he decided to build two engines that ran thier hind parts off. all of the parts are mainly .049 there may be some .051 stuff, I'm not sure. Anybody out there needing anything drop me a line and you got it!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MR Flyer57

Hello frankflyboy1,

I like so many here, have been around the horn with this hobby. Speaking only for myself, I thought I had reached the end of the hobby. I made the mistake of taking a look at this forum and got hooked in a big way.

Ummmm.....shouldn't that be "hooked in a little way?"

I am not a regular in the small section (I'm just all over the place with my modeling ), but have on occasion come over here for some information, and agree that the group over here has always been helpful.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:58 PM
MR Flyer57

Hey frankflyboy1,
Horde the parts, and build yourself a few planes to use them on. If your son has gotten a engine or two to work, then the fun is just beginning. Trade for anything you need to complete a project or two. You will have the biggest bang for the buck going, and run into a great bunch of guys doing what they can to help you.

The coffee can treasure would be worth a lot more if turned it into fun and some great times with friends, than it would be to anyone else.

There are so many possibilities with a bunch of parts that you should really explore them. Look and see if you have enough stuff to make a Dickybird engine. One of those will open doors of interest that you may not even see.

Good luck,
MR Flyer57
Old 01-17-2004, 09:34 AM
jboy381-RCU

frank,
we (us NC 1/2Aer's) have a few 1/2A fun flys...we travel around to each others fields and have a ball...it a little cold now,but in the spring... i'm sure that raymondflyer,deadstick,timwitsle,flyinrog,prole,bo bhh,fireman,and myself will be getting together... maybe you can come and join the fun we always seem to have...

if i left anyone out of the namedroping i'm sorry...

john
Old 01-19-2004, 10:09 AM
airega1

OK John, it sounds like fun, keep in touch.

Frank