Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Design contest question for all.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Design contest question for all.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design contest question for all.

I wasnt sure I should ask this question, but I was encouraged to find out what y'all think?

With the 2004 design contest starting on the first, does all the building on the designs have to be started after that date.

In Aug 2003, I started on the design of my mig-21. It is approx 85% done. I have worked on it sporatically since then. It is likely the only design I will do this year

My question: Is this design/plane outside of the parameters to be considered for the contest?

It does not represent "old" work, but I want to respect the idea that all work should be done between Jan 1st and the end of the contest, if that is what all of us understand the rules to be.

I have the greatest respect for all of you, and would hate to have anyone think poorly of me or the contest if my Mig is entered.

Thanks guys

Randy (Digger) Birt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48054.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	91460  
Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 PM
jboy381-RCU

Default RE: Design contest question for all.

???
Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI DIGGER! The way I see it, there is absolutely nothing at stake here. It's very honorable of you to come forward with the fact that your plane was begun way in advance. The spirit of this event is to INSPIRE PEOPLE TO BE CREATIVE, and for us to be able to compile a MUSEUM OF 1/2A FLIGHT for all of us to enjoy. I for one would like to see you forge ahead with your BAD *SS LOOKING DELTA[X(]!! A guy who is a fairly fast builder, and who has had 30? hours of time to devote could have your plane RTF, which would easily put your effort[hypothetically] in the contests' timeframe. Look at the advantage a retired guy would have over someone who works 50 hours a week, and is raising a family. If there was big money at stake, I would say no dice, rules are rules, but then we would all be operating on the honor system,[like the way they used to do it at the OLYMPICS] DIGGER, I for one am looking forward to seeing your MIG when it's finished, and entered in the "contest"!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:33 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

I say go for it!

damn thing looks KILLER! will it be a pusher?

L.R.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:58 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Digger,
I cant see how it would be a problem. I mean, we all know you did the work, and so what if you started a few months earlier...

Just make sure and post lots of pics of the construction (from now), engine install, covering etc.

I mean, how can we not have one half of the 1st place tie from the inagural constest not be in it this year???

If my vote means anything, I vote YES!

AJC
Old 01-17-2004, 08:00 PM
wild fred

Yeah, I don't think the start date is a big issue, just the completion date so the winners can be determined and such. It is not that structured of a "contest", after all I need to get started on mine... I threw the f-104 into the ground yesterday, so the gear is freed up for a new one![X(]
Old 01-17-2004, 08:42 PM
LoneRanger

Fred, you did'nt slam that F-104 into the ground did you?????? SAY IT AINT SO!

L.R.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:52 PM
DICKEYBIRD

See, I told ya so Digger!

Seriously, my vote is it's okey-dokey! Just don't go stickin' your hand in this one; that mean ol' Russki meat slicer won't be near as nice to you as that friendly lil' Cox was! (To those that don't know the story, Digger accidently stuck his hand in the Panther's Tee Dee .020 prop running at full tilt last June at the Little Rock S.M.A.L.L. fly-in. He and matchlessaero were trying to get both their neat little Blue Angel planes up in the air at the same time for some formation flying. He buzz-sawed his hand, wrapped the bleeding stump up in a shop rag, re-started and made the show! Now keep in mind, Digger's a friggin' DOCTOR!! ) He oughta know you can't grow another one!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:58 AM
wild fred

yeah, I inadvertently filled it with 20% instead of 35%, and gave it the usual toss; it sank into the ground before it reached flying speed, and broke cleanly ahead of the wing. easy fix, but been there, done that; need the stuff for my next creation! hey, got a year outa it, flew it everywhere; it was a good plane! I need to get another no-rub fueler; I stepped on mine last month, so had to put fuel in with the pump, pull it out of gallon and put in qt. of 35% for 061; that's why I favor 074's any more; run the same fuel as I use in everything.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW I vote okey-dokey as well. You're just using the inspiration of TWO design contests melded into one time frame and model.

But if you win we'll all gang up on you and PROTEST YER BUTT OUTT'A HERE ! ! ! !

LOL
Old 01-19-2004, 04:53 AM
MR Flyer57

BMatthews

But if you win we'll all gang up on you and PROTEST YER BUTT OUTT'A HERE ! ! ! !

LOL
My vote is GO FOR IT!! It will be a great addition to the contest. I think asking about this entry was the right thing to do, and I also think everybody's comments are another example of the great bunch of guys here.[8D]

Just think,,, If you win you will get the grand prize,,, yes a T-shirt, chosen just for you. But if you loose, you will have to take the long walk of shame. But on the bright side, you get some lovely parting gifts, the home version of our game and a lovely T-shirt. Hmmm Just like the one you get for winning!!

Also I have to go along with BMatthews about you winning, that plane has some real possibilities, so I will keep my pitch fork handy (for the mob thing later).

I'm also sick about the F-104 crash, (what a great plane) but the pain is tempered a little because it is so hard to imagine that design (full size or model) flying at all! I believe that it was done with smoke, mirrors and a side order of voodoo anyway!![X(]

MR Flyer57
Old 01-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Digger-RCU

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate the responses. I will watch this thread for a couple of more days, then if there are no disenting voices, I will post pictures and descriptions on the contest page.

Dicky, I guess I will not be living down the "chopping of the fingers" incident any time soon. They have healed nicely, and are awaiting the next episode of SCARS DE JOUR.
My official position is still the same though. Fingers heal, but the memory of seeing both those planes in the air at the same time will be with me forever!

Thanks again guys

Randy (Digger) Birt

PS, I'll do my best to not win!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep... Those two Navy Birds screamin' down the paddock was pretty cool.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:34 PM
MR Flyer57

you guys get any pictures of the flight? That would have been something worth getting a video of.
MR Flyer57
Old 01-19-2004, 11:37 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OkeyDokey here too!

I really had a lot of fun flyin' with you at SMALL too! I guess you could say that your little Panther really carves the...... uh, welll air (was gonna say fingers...)

Now you are makin me think I should have done a teeny little .010 powered Mig 3. Then we could have done some Russkie formation flying to add to our Navy 'show' last year.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wont think poorly of you if you enter the Mig.

However, if you don't power it with a Russian engine...[sm=lol.gif]