Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

contest entry for Flyinrog

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

contest entry for Flyinrog

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:45 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default contest entry for Flyinrog

Inspired by Big Al's mustang and Matchlessaero's work and his chipmunk, I am attempting to build an .010 powered Chance Vought F4U-Corsair..AKA Whistling Death,,size is based loosely on Match's chippy ,but it may turn out to have a pee wee .020 instead, it also may not be blue but colored with what I have on hand,,still looking for a cheap digi camera, but if I dont find one I will buy a disposable cam and have it developed on disc so I can get pics on here...it is

ws ~20"
fuse length is 15.5"
2 channel R,E
the wing spar has been a b%i&h so far, have cut out the fuse sides, and 75% of the wing
ribs are done,,did a little library research and a computer google to find the wing angles,, but it is all based on Match's sized chip and now it's all on the TLAR trail.

Found a guy building an %82 size flying kit for his personal use,,I dont mind building and/or crashing a plane... but I damn sure wouldnt fly IN anything I built...Rog
Old 01-26-2004, 02:28 PM
newtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: contest entry for Flyinrog

Hi flyinrog. Like your ideas. A Corsair would be way cool.

I do have to take exception to your closing comment though. "Found a guy building an %82 size flying kit for his personal use,,I dont mind building and/or crashing a plane... but I damn sure wouldnt fly IN anything I built...Rog "

I think I represent that remark :-)

Take a look at my other project:

http://www.newtech.com/n14se/rv7.html
Old 01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
flyinrog

thats cool newtech, and all the power and safety in the world to you,, but I said,, I would never fly in anything "I" built, I dont think I am adventerous enough to fly in anybodys homebuilt aircraft...Rog
Old 01-26-2004, 05:49 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the year of the warbirds ! You have to get a camera and post some pics..... sounds cool, the Corsair is a tough plane to build.

AJC
Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 PM
LoneRanger

VERY cool! cant wait to see a midget F4u!

makin plans for us to buy right? I'm lookin for .020 on e-bay right now! lol

L.R.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:07 PM
nekked_man_2000

How large is the cowl?(diameter) I've thought about an .020 size, but never got around to it, I am building currently an .049 size. I did draw up the plans for a Bearcat for my .020, but decided not too because the cowl was nearly as big as the propeller, I think it has 100 sq inches, I guess now with the super micro radio gear I could reduce it even more. I've done 80 sq in. planes before, but not a scale type, just a stik type, so I allowed 100" for the additional weight.

Here is a picture of the Corsair along with a scratch built ACE messerschmitt I am building, the outboard wing panels are in the background and the plans (RCM) for the Corsair are underneath. The wing is way too thick for my taste, and after outboard panels were built and all the pieces cut, I've been thinking about a redesign on the wing, make it easier to build and thinner. The center section doesn't bother me, but it doesn't thin out much at the tips, I think some the designers used to do this, I've build some control line planes that the wing is 1.5" think in the center and at the tip even though the chord went from 10" to 6". I'm still debating, also, if I rebuild I will use the center rib as the template so I don't have to build a new body, and I will cut a 1 piece ply spar, or do a laminated balsa spar for the center W shaped section. I built a jig for the body to hold all of the formers while I skinned it, the article with these plans is very sparse on building info, but the pictures of the finished product look good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38890.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	94988  
Old 01-27-2004, 08:21 PM
flyinrog

havent made the cowl yet, but around 2 inches,have no drawn out plans am "winging it" (what a really bad pun) but it is all done by eye...stand wayyyyyy off scale..it should be interesting,, I didnt know rcm had the corsair plans,, I have the catolog somewhere but cant find it .......yours look nice, good job so far...Rog
Old 01-28-2004, 08:00 PM
matchlessaero

Sounds really cool Rog!

Are you going to do it in a Navy scheme, or is it gonna be a tiny Reno Racer???

If you do it in a Navy scheme, are you gonna build a little quad .061 powered Carrier for it to fly from?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
flyinrog

cmon Match it's only an .010, I'm gonna hold it down to R,E,flaps,machine guns and retracts and I dont know what the reno scheme is,,right now I have a roll of trans purple ultracoat on hand....no boats...Rog