Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New VA .049 MK2 RC Engine

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New VA .049 MK2 RC Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 06:08 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New VA .049 MK2 RC Engine

It's been a long time ( 12 years?) since I added a G Mark throttle on to one of the original VA .049s. This one had the split crankcase and was the first new 1/2A engine in a great many years. Unlike the G Mark, (which followed traditional Cox design), it was a truly modern engine employing AAN construction. I had already experimented with throttling TDs using the G Mark throttle and one feature that improved throttling performance was the addition of an adjustable airbleed. It wasn't long before I installed the modified G Mark throttle on to the VA and to my great delight, I had an engine that throttled virtually perfectly. It would idle solidly for an entire two ounce tank with instant transition and with no excessive smoke or hesitation. This was well before the Cox RC .05 or the very popular Norvels.

All this time I've been in contact (indirectly) with VA encouraging them to put out a throttled engine that employed a throttle with adjustable airbleed. When the VA .049 MK2 came out, the first thing I did was to install a throttle and again, throttling was found to be very good, on par with the original MK1 and superior to anything else out there. The VA MK2 is a true ABC engine with solid crankcase and a neat, bolt on muffler complete with pressure nipple. And it's extremely well made.

VA's first attempt at a throttle didn't include an adjustable air bleed and predictably, throttling performance was spotty. My first two, run as is, clearly were loading up rich at idle. The solution was to add an adjustable airbleed and this brought them around. The first picture shows their first attempt and the fix I employed to add the adjustable feature. The fixture for the adjustable feature was secured with J B Weld and it's still holding up after a year of flying.

The second picture shows VA's latest effort. I'm happy to say that they incorporated the adjustable air bleed and one other key element that enhances good throttling. I'm certainly glad they followed my advice on that score.

VA has gone to the use of the Nelson plug. Another plug to deal with but the upside is that they're reasonably priced and very durable. Under ordinary conditions its hard to blow a Nelson plug.

This engine is so new that instructions or a box label still has not been finalized. However, the engine is available and will be shipped to anyone who wants one from Larry Driskill at Kitting it Together. See Larry's ad in Flying Models.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15578.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	94565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86029.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	94566  
Old 01-26-2004, 11:13 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)