Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Wt and wing area for Cox TD .010

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Wt and wing area for Cox TD .010

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:01 PM
SERCEFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wt and wing area for Cox TD .010

What's the largest weight and wing area that is possible with a Cox TD 0.010? Is it possible to design a slow-flying "floater" with this tiny engine?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: Wt and wing area for Cox TD .010

George,
Matchlessaero and Dickeybird are masters at making tiny planes fly with the .010. You should see the flying boat Matchless built. It would take off from a grass strip, and do touch and goes with no wheels!
I think it has to do with weight more than anything. The Littlest Stick I built for my .010 was overweight. How much I don't know. The plans called for 5.5 ozs. It must have been around 8 oz and was on the verge of a stall at all times.The plane would fall like a rock when the engine died. That same plane is now flying very well with a small electric motor at 7 ozs.
It has a wing area of 85 sq inches which is about right for that engine. If you can build a 5 oz plane it should be a flyer, I don't think you can go much over that. A .020 would have been a better choice for my plane.
But what do I know.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:37 PM
DICKEYBIRD

George the .010's I've run have always amazed me with their power. If I was building a clean floater, like a streamlined old timer or the like with a slick glider 'foil or thin flat bottom, 250/275 sq. in at 8 or 9 oz. wouldn't scare me at all.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:40 PM
SERCEFLYER

Dickeybird,

That's amazing. I would have guessed that that's more Pee Wee 0.02 territory! Do you think this would work:

36" wing span Comet Jr Clipper (strengthened for glow power)-- approx 4 oz
radio, linkages, engine -- approx 3 oz
wing area -- approx 150 sq in

My hope is to build a slow 1/8A Texaco-type flyer.

Or, would this type of model have too much drag?

Just brainstorming.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm.... what about a teeny PowerHouse? 160-175 squares and 4.5 oz's all up weight. Sounds like it would need a dethermalizer [X(]

There are some new 4 and 5 gram servos out from Cirrus- those combined with a true stick and tissue construction would yield a nice little bird. But can you find tiny little trexlers for it?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:31 PM
SERCEFLYER

M,

What would the span be on a small Powerhouse like that? Do you have any experience with building tissue-and-stick models for a Cox TD .01?

I think I can keep the weight down. I'm just worried that with all that drag, a 36" Jr Clipper won't get enough air speed.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:36 AM
DICKEYBIRD

George, my guesstimate was based on a biplane I did for an exhaust sleeve throttled Tee Dee .020. It has 250 sq. in, weighs 8 oz. with draggy radial cowl, cabanes, N-struts, etc., etc. It will fly "on the wing(s)" at approx. 1/3 to 1/2 power. SWAG calculations in the 'ol noggin computer came up with the guesstimate I posted. Even after factoring in the smaller prop disc of the .010, I think the numbers I posted will work OK. Might be an "uphill glide" like Bmatthews likes to say but that's great fun on a calm day. Your original question was "....largest weight and wing area that is possible with a Cox TD 0.010" If this was a contest, I would try even bigger!

My .010 "KwikStik" has 121 sq. in., weighs 5 oz. and tears around like a blue-***** fly. If I were to double it's size, (AREA, not dimensions!) thin the 'ol Clark Y a little, build up the fuse & stabs from sticks and keep the weight to 8 or 9 oz., it would be a nice, calm weather sport flyer. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!