Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Cessna Skylane

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Steve C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Cessna Skylane

A friend of mine that was moving out of town gave me a new in box Cox Cessna Skylane. This is the 1980's all foam job with .049 power and setup for rudder and elevator control. It also came with a new in box Cox/Sanwa 2 channel radio. The only item missing in the box is the instructions for the plane itself. It looks straight forward enough, but I want to get my son involved in the build process and I think it best if he can use the instructions. Does anyone have a set that they could copy or scan?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: Cox Cessna Skylane

Welcome Steve,
You need to contact Tona A. He has all of the foam Cox Cessna .049 powered R/C planes. He would probably have the instuction book. He should know a lot about them anyway.Tony has not posted here since October but you may reach him by sending an Email.
Here is his last thread showing his Cox plane collection.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1178750
Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 PM
nexus7

Any luck with the manual?? i just got one out of my local flea market. do you have any pictures of your NIB?? I would like to see this model new. please let me know thank you.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:05 AM
nouser

I used to have one of those, in fact I still have/and use the landing gear and engine from it. The plane is so simple you won't need the instruction sheet if you've ever built/flew in the past. Heres a tip tho.... hand launch only. I tried a take off once in a front a WWII P51 pilot whom got a good laugh when it lifted off, stalled, and dove into the pavement.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good model. But here is my advice. Put the plane and radio up on ebay. You will get some fair money for it, $100-200. It's something of a collectable.
There are many planes out there nowadays that are a whole lot nicer for the beginner, a whole lot easier to fly.
Also, the radio is not 1991 standard, it will not be legal to use on today's frequencies.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do intend to keep and fly it, it does fly quite well. It will loop from level flight. YOU MUST reglue the fire wall to the front of the MODEL before you fly it. Remove the cowl, remove the engine and GENTLY wiggle and pull the firewall off the foam front of the model. Then glue it back on with a thin coat of epoxy on all of the front foam. Had one loose the engine in flight.

And as someone said, get a new FM 3 or 4 channel radio with small servos first.

Or better yet sell it on ebuy.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 PM
nouser

MajorTomski is right as I recall I ended up having to epoxy my fire wall to the fus after a few runs.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:52 PM
nexus7

Thank you!! EASYTIGER you just made my day!!
I got this plane at the flea maket for $8 bucks with radio, servos and engine. the plane is missing the cowl, wheel pants, and part of the tail, everything else is in very good condition. I like the looks of the plane, but if it sells for at least $100 i guess this one is going ebay.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 PM
John A

The one I got in 78 didn't come with wheel pants. There may have been a later model that did, but I think it was green trim rather than brown/blue. As others have said, the original sanwa was from back in the days when we had 13 channels. I've still got mine somewhere, on 75.640. Those units where 80 khz spacing, IIRC.