Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

not 1/2a stuff but?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

not 1/2a stuff but?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 08:49 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not 1/2a stuff but?

when I started and quit the hobby 10 years ago there were several mags, trying to and succeeding at changing .40 size engines to spark from glow, ,,tiny spark plugs with electronic ignition and 2 stroke fuel...but I dont see anything about that now.. did it fizzle, or not worth it or what.. anybody know?.. Rog
Old 01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: not 1/2a stuff but?

You'll only see that with the SAM events now I suspect. The giant engine market has provided all the larger sizes in spark that you could ask for. But even with the SAM events there's so many modern spark engine repro's out there that are going for not too much money that the spark conversions have dropped out of favour from what I've seen. Cost may be a part of it too. The repros and old time "runners" are not that much more expensive, if any, than the cost of a spark conversion by itself let alone adding the cost of the original glow engine to the total conversion package.

But that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself. Just gotta have the tools or the ingenuity to do the conversion within what you can work with.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:26 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always heard the term SAM, but I dont know what it is.... you mean there is a .40 spark ignition engine mass produced?...Rog
Old 01-31-2004, 10:59 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SAM is Society of Antique Modelers, a pretty active group. They have a website. I don't know of a present-day mass produced 40 sparker. There are some replicas available. Shilen (maybe incorrect spelling) the gunmaker has produced some replicas, as have a number of others. I think a converted modern glow engine is not legal for some SAM events. I'm not a SAM member, so don't qupte me.

Jim
Old 02-01-2004, 02:34 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have not checked the rules lately but I think you may be right Jim. This may be why I don't see many spark conversions any more. In any event they only allowed conversions that used loop scavenging. Hard to find anything like that any more that's new.

The reproductions they are making these days are copies of prewar engines. Not really suited for day in and day out sport flying and have no carbs.