Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

norvel pre revlite

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:04 PM
kerwin25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel pre revlite

I just recently aquired a nib 061 and was told that it was bought in 98 i beleive that was before the revlite can any 1 tell me the differnts and if the revlite has more power why norvel went to the revlite and the likes
Old 02-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: norvel pre revlite

Kerwin --

The Revlite has a larger cylinder with black anodized fins with holes drilled to allow access to the cylinder mounting screws. The Revlite is classifies as an AAO engine -- aluminum piston, aluminum cylinder, Oxide coated. NORVEL advertising claims that the coating is harder than chrome, nickle or steel and is porus and can hold oil in order to improve the piston/cylinder fit.

The earlier model with a brownish or aluminum colored cylinder has notches in fins to access the cylinder mounting screws. These were classified as AAN -- aluminum piston, aluminum cylinder, nickle plated.

Early models used slotted cylinder screws; the later Revlites use allen head screws. There is a thread by Bipe Flyer showing the evolution in engine design --

The .049 and .061 engines are outwardly identical, the .061 has been bored out to yield the larger displacement. Likewise, the AME and Big Mig are outwardly similar. With the head removed, the AME will have 3 oblong bypass ports and the Big Mig will have 5 smaller roundish ports.

The first image is a Revlite, the second is the earlier AAN version.

the "other" Andrew

I don't have side by side tach readings, but others on this forum have indicated they believe the Revlite to be a slightly better runner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78930.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	97205  
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2004, 02:19 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: norvel pre revlite

If you have the early version just enjoy it, it breaks in real easy and are great running the power diff. is very marginal